Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539207 times)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1440 on: July 26, 2013, 12:58:36 am »

My suggestion is to engineer a mining "accident" between Noface and his lover so they can become acquainted enough to get married and have faceless babies.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 26, 2013, 03:19:55 am »

Oh, believe me, I have plans to engineer more meetings. In actuality, they don't progress in their relationship much because he's always with the squad, training. Given the relative stability of our fort, I've seen fit to give us a more character-driven, rather than purely gameplay-pragmatism driven, year. The fort shall go according to her character whims, taking into account the effects of spending a year in close company with Noface...

Anyway, I'm wondering if there was anything we really wanted from the Humans? We need several things, for sure, but I don't remember if Uggi ordered anything specific from them last year.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 26, 2013, 03:56:39 pm »

Anyway, I'm wondering if there was anything we really wanted from the Humans? We need several things, for sure, but I don't remember if Uggi ordered anything specific from them last year.

Let me check my records...

26th Galena 15

Our mayor had a meeting with human's guild representive. I told him to order wood, silver bars, all sorts of silver ores and some fire clay from the humans. Oh, and more alpacas. They're magnificent creatures and we need more of them

Oh right, alpacas! Glorious alpacas. Did the humans bring any?

I ordered silver ores & bars because ..well, we're living in Silverysects. Make shiny things from them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »

Ah, yes. Thank you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 27, 2013, 08:34:01 pm »

1st Limestone, 16
The digging of the Fire Mover progresses swiftly, but alas, today, the thing I feared would happen, happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kogan, an ice-spitting abomination composed of salt, crawled into the excavation before we could finish building the wall. One of our miners, Zon Akgoskikrost, was digging on the lowest level at the time, but he had the sense to hide in the corner while the beast came past. Fortunately, our heroic founder, Bhrain Bloodaxe, and his squad were nearby. After hearing the screams from those who fled, they managed to corner the beast down where Zon hid and kill it before it could harm anyone.
Movie
How relieved I am! Yes, we must finish that wall quickly.

2nd Limestone, 16
Those traders finally finished unloading their massive Caravan today, and we began bartering immediately. Our most pressing need was for wood, since my device shall not be ready for some time, and Uggi had ordered silver and alpacas from them. Well, we brought out a good supply of our wondrous crafts, but in the end the humans gave us the few gold, silver, and platinum bars they had, several tons of wood, and a breeding pair of alpaca in exchange for just 3 sublimely crafted glass discs. I feel perhaps we should buy more from them, us having so much to trade and them bringing so much, but really I can't think of anything else we really want or need. I am certain they are impressed with what they've got, though, and will spread news of the splendor of Dwarves to their nation.

9th Limestone, 16
Sarvesh and that crossbow-armed diplomat have been talking for days now. He says he doesn't have time to fill me in until she leaves, though I did ask him to request more silver. It frustrates me some, but I must assure myself that he wouldn't keep secrets from me.

In more relieving news, the walls of the shaft are now without holes, and we shall have no more intruders from the Caverns. At least, not from there.

13th Limestone, 16
Zefon transformed today, but fortunately she was in her room at the time and a neighbor managed to lock her door. This is most unsettling, a whole two days earlier than usual. I shall have to observe her closely from now on to see if a pattern exists in her condition's activity. For safety, the old woman will have to report to her room every 10th of the month from now on, unfortunately. I simply must have something nice put in there for her before next time, poor thing.

14th Limestone, 16
And now we've let her out again. A close call, to be sure.

The human Traders began packing up their massive caravan again, much lightened, but they shall take some time yet. Until then, the Seven stand watch by the gate. Noface and I have been unable to speak now for a week, and somehow I begin to feel lonely, despite all these friends surrounding me...

15th Limestone, 16
Today we collapsed all the carved scaffolding, leaving the Fire Driver as a freestanding pillar.
Movie
It was most exhilarating to behold the demolition, to hear that stupendous crash! Truly we are quite close to being ready. Before midautumn, there shall be Fire!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 27, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

20th Limestone, 16
More migrants today! Nine of them, of note are a skilled jeweler, an old metalsmith, and a "Mr. Cat," who immediately volunteered for the militia. I'm proud to say we were well prepared to receive them, and still have many rooms left. The Cavern villas are all filled up but the apartments remain plentiful.

10th Sandstone.
I ordered Zefon locked in today, but she transformed on the way down! We've locked her in the Grand Entrance for now. My, this is getting to be such a problem...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 27, 2013, 10:57:24 pm »

Just give her a burrow somewhere?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:04 pm »

12th Sandstone, 16
As we recovered Zefon and gave her some clothes, I was informed that the firing mechanism for the Fire Driver was in place. So soon!
Now we need only prepare the Fire basin at the bottom and fill it, though I do not envy the miner who must collapse the scaffold. Still, risks must be taken in the name of progress.

14th Sandstone, 16
Oh wonderful success! Alath Machinemine bravely volunteered to collapse the basin scaffold today, and he did so without injury! So very close are we to victory!

21st Sandstone, 16
Work progresses well, when suddenly our pump Operator, Libash, becomes possessed! Fortunately, we have others to fill in for him, but nonetheless I await the results of this business with curiosity. He has taken over one of the jewler's workbenches, so my hopes are high.

In other news, I've ordered the floor of Zefon's room engraved. That should cheer the woman up. To my surprise, the elusive Camela came to have a word with me about her. "Zat dorf is dangerous," she told me. "It varms my heart to see kindness for ze outcast, but only chance is keepink zer hurtinks avay. I am not thinkink this place has proper place for the zer healers. You should make, before ve haf needink for it."

I think she meant a hospital, but I'm fairly sure we have one. Don't we?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 29, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

23rd Sandstone, 16
The construction of the Fire Driver is complete; now, we need only wait for the basin to fill with Fire. In the meantime, I am inspired to realize my other dreams. First, there shall be new homes above the ground! I've designed a second mighty tower and laid the plans for the foundation.
Second, a new Great Hall, fit for the glory of Dwarves!
And lastly, a vault for our artifacts, though I daren't reveal the plans just yet.

26th Sandstone, 16
Today, our moment came! With the Basin full, it was time to pull the lever. I approached, somewhat nervous that after all this careful preparation something would go wrong, but after a moment my conviction was supreme. It was time we mastered the Fire. I pulled the lever.

Watch Movie

A tremendous crash, clouds of dust flew from the shaft. Just as the last collapse was exhilirating, only ten thousand times moreso! On this momentous occasion, I declare all shall drink their fulllest tonight!

27th Sandstone, 16
It is... it is incredible. Girustoral, "The Scintilating Law," is the absolutely most perfect gem I have ever seen! Libash does not know how he created this thing, but it is a wonder nonetheless. A mere Pink Jade, cut in such a way as it seems to glow even in the dim light.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 29, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »

8th Timber, 16
Zefon finally made it to her room, despite me ordering it at the beginning of the Month. I do hope she doesn't grow resentful, but this kind of delay is unacceptable.

10th Timber, 16
The furnaces roar into activity! Soon we'll be churning out tons of our own silver and iron! Already the forges are complete, and our smiths are creating iron doors for the new tower.

Everything is productivity. The second floor of the tower commences, the Great Hall is nearly dug out. Ah, it fills me with such joy to see this work go by! I only wish it would go even faster...

16th Timber, 16
Bother! The Goblins have come in force, bringing ranks of marksmen! Well, I shall not have it! I've ordred the drawbridge raised, they shall not spoil this pace we have only just achieved. They cannot get in, the only hole in our wall is filled with Fire.

20th Timber,16
Those goblins broke themselves on our mere traps, and then fled. My, our enemies are pathetic! Perhaps I shall lower the bridge, in hopes we still have a Caravan coming this season.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:20 pm »

AWESOME Stuff Hugo!

I watched video of you launching the magma piston, VERY Impressive!
We shall have planty of "Armoks Blood" to fuel the furnaces in the upper levels for now ;)
Also good seeing more of the city as well, looks like you have quite a few construction projects underway.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 30, 2013, 02:35:49 am »

The moon cycle is apparently 25 days. Months are 28. The indicator at the upper right seems to be the current moon phase. Hopefully, that helps with Zefon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 30, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »

The door to Noface's room swung open, though he was already looking out, as if expecting, and Lich shuffled in. "Hello, Noface," she said, and stood there for a few moments. Then, bursting into tears, she leaped forward and embraced him. "Oh, Noface. What am I to do? I've finally got my dream underway, but the year is so short! It's winter today, I've only got three months left to build everything! And..." she stopped, unsure of admitting. Her vision was so close, yet so near to failure, but... without him, she never would have had this chance. He was everything.

She decided to go for it. "...I'm running out of time to spend with you..." she looked into his mask, inscrutable. Surely he must wear a face kind to her own behind it? "It's just... you've... just.... You've been there for me. Believed in me. Recognized my vision! You mean everything to me! I want it to be you and me, building the glories of Dwarfkind! But why... why can't we spend more time together? Help me find a way, dearie, I just can't..."

Still, Noface made no reaction. "Oh, why do you do this to me!? Please, just give me a sign!"

Flustered, she yanked off his mask.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 30, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »

Lol, poor thing. I look forward to the next update, even though I'm still slowly going through the old posts. Good work thus far, this is one of my favourite succession forts.  :D
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 30, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »

1st Moonstone, 16
Inefficiency. Unacceptable. Everything must go faster, no waste of material or time. Keeping prisoners is inefficient, take up space for no benefit. Eliminating prisoners saves resources and space, makes example for other races. Elimination is efficient. All Prisoners shall now go in the Fire.

The Falcons have hatched. Falcons make cats obsolete. Cats are inefficient, create many redundant offspring who get in the way. All cats shall now go in the Fire.

Male pet cats will be spared for morale. Morale is efficient, for now.

Zefon is inefficient. She shall be permanently sealed in her room from now on, with supplies dropped in. Her condition may prove useful in the future, pending investigation.

Work is fast. Great Hall nearly entirely excavated. Smoothing and engraving to commence soon. Third floor of tower commences.

3rd Moonstone, 16
Idle dwarves are inefficient. Many idlers assigned to construction, with a few around to operate levers. Construction speed increased threefold. Stonework in Great Hall also finished, furniture now needed.

5th Moonstone, 16
Construction progresses swiftly.
Spoiler: Living tower (click to show/hide)
Inefficiency will soon be eliminated. Prisoners all gone.

8th Moonstone, 16
Baron's wife birthed another baby. Babies are inefficient, but necessary.

15th Limestone, 16
Puppies are inefficient. Our soldiers make dogs redundant. All puppies shall now go in the Fire.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 120