Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Paradox]  (Read 33554 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Paradox]
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:43:48 am »

Posting this now because the demo is available on Steam (link below). The official release date is May 8, 2012. The game is out!

Summary:
From the website: Warlock: Master of the Arcane is a new turned-based strategy game set in the fantastical world of Ardania, popularized in Majesty franchise. Warlock: Master of the Arcane invites players to take on the role of the Great Mage and build a powerful magical empire, giving mightly mages the ability to control armies and wield magic to wage war against another, as they compete with other wizards for the title of Warlock.

Relevant Links of Interest:
Paradox page for W:MoA
Steam page (demo here!)
YouTube: GDC 2012 (official pre-launch vid)
YouTube: WTF is... (Total Biscuit)

Maybe this one will turn out a bit better than Elemental as a Master of Magic successor. I didn't see the demo anywhere but Steam so far.

Edit: Something I immediately do not like is being limited to 3 races. MoM had ... what, 14? Maybe DLC will correct that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:59:06 pm by SeaBee »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Paradox]
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:46:08 am »

Downloading the demo so hard it can be heard from space.

Considering the fact that it looks almost identical to Civ5, only with magic, I don't see how this can go wrong apart from horrible bugginess.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:16 am »

Been looking forward to this one. Haven't researched anything about it so far.

My only general impression though is that it's less like Elemental in that there are 4? races and all the powers are goodies are equally divided among them. So unlike a lot of 4x games where you have 10 races with all sorts of special unique features....here you've got 4 and the design is more tightly focused.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:53:15 am »

Does it have multiplayer?  The steam page seems to indicate that it doesn't...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:40 am »

I tried it, didn't like it.  I mentioned this before that I don't understand why they're releasing all these games set in Ardania.  Was Ardania a compelling world and I just wasn't paying attention? 
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:50 am »

So it's thematically not awesome? How about the gameplay?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »

This reminds me of that old DOS game I can't remember the name of. Very similar premise

Master of Magic I think.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:13:49 pm by Vherid »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »

Er, nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:33:07 pm by Dariush »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »

This reminds me of that old DOS game I can't remember the name of. Very similar premise

Master of Magic I think.
That's kind of the intention, I think. Master of Magic remake. I'm downloading the demo now, we'll see how it goes.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »

Gaaaaaah, I can't register on Steam. Can someone upload it somewhere please? Since it's technically free, it wouldn't be illegal (unless Steam has policies against that).
I've seen some torrents around for the demo, but I'm not sure how safe/legit they are.

Requiring Steam for the demo seems a little strange to me. I like Steam just fine, but not everyone wants to install it just to play a demo. Maybe they'll add some other options later this weekend.

I'm hoping this plays like a Master of Magic remake, because I'd really love one. MoM is so great. Not real sure about setting it in Ardania, though.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

Demo is broked for me. Sigh. I'll have to wait for them to fix it or demo by other means, but it certainly looks interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 01:11:48 pm »

Eh, played it for a bit and am not fond of it. Feels too much like civ 5 set in ardania to me.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

Felt more like a fantasy mod for Civ V than a MoM remake. Pretty well done, though. I'll likely buy it.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

Tried out the demo. That's the most kickass game I've seen in a looooooong time, though it does have some issues to iron out.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 04:32:47 pm »

Felt more like a fantasy mod for Civ V than a MoM remake. Pretty well done, though.

This is my first thought as well.

Watching Total Biscuit's review... <paraphrased> "They have a very novel solution to the problem with transports. When you move your unit over an ocean tile, they turn into transports!" That comment caused me literal pain for so many reasons. It also guaranteed that I wouldn't buy this when combined with how poorly I felt the studio handled Majesty 2. Disregard for the most important obstacle terrain in the name of convenience is the #1 reason I despise Civ 5, next to ridiculous AI/Diplomacy.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9