Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can you find vampires?  (Read 3857 times)

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
How can you find vampires?
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:47 am »

Pretty much what the title says. I'm an adventurer and want to learn the secrets of life and death (a.k.a. raid a necromancer tower) but I keep getting killed by almost-dwarvenly numbers of reanimated bodies. So, I decided to (try to) become a vampire, so I wouldn't get attacked by them (and not have to eat, drink, sleep, etc.). Only problem is, I have no idea where to search for one, and the wiki doesn't help. So, help? :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:58:30 am by Rtyh-C »
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can you find vampires?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:44 am »

As a noob, I have one kind of extravagant suggestion.  You could make a fortress and wait for a vampire to move in and just leave it to do its thing until it gets caught and goes berzerk.  I did this once and after I abandoned my fortress, the vampire was waiting there to meet my adventurer.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:27:38 am »

Go around accusing others of being a vampire. Eventually you'll get one, it'll go crazy, and all the peasants around will murder it promptly.
After that, just drink the vampire's blood. You'll get infected and can now avoid being molested by corpses.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »

Look for human gods in legends and see if they've cursed anyone to become a vampire. Search that person and hunt 'em down.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »

As a noob, I have one kind of extravagant suggestion.  You could make a fortress and wait for a vampire to move in and just leave it to do its thing until it gets caught and goes berzerk.  I did this once and after I abandoned my fortress, the vampire was waiting there to meet my adventurer.

That's a tad too extreme for me, but thanks anyway :)

Well, that only makes it dwarfier I guess...

Go around accusing others of being a vampire. Eventually you'll get one, it'll go crazy, and all the peasants around will murder it promptly.
After that, just drink the vampire's blood. You'll get infected and can now avoid being molested by corpses.

So they reveal they're vampires when you start shouting at them like you're mad? Well, dwarves (or any other DF species, for that matter) aren't supposed to be too smart, I guess... :P

What about the quantity of blood I gotta drink? Does a tiny drop suffice?

Anyway, I thought they might get upset if you just scream at everybody that they're vampires. Oh well.

Look for human gods in legends and see if they've cursed anyone to become a vampire. Search that person and hunt 'em down.

Definitely a more elegant solution than the above, but it can be considered cheating. Also, is there a way to track down a specific person? Thanks for your answer!

Another question: if I become a vampire, that doesn't prevent me from becoming a necromancer as well. Right? (I've seen it written somewhere on the forums and it made me kinda worried ::))
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:15 pm »

You CAN become a vampire necromancer, don't worry. Oh, and there is no such thing as cheating in DF.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:46:54 pm »

HOW ARE YOU GUYS SO FAST.

Well, cheating is subjective, by 'it can be considered cheating' I mean 'I consider it a bit cheaty'. I have no problem with modding out aquifers, or making my adventurer 5 times larger (ahem, I have a problem with that... I can't do that :P), or making giant plasma cats that throw pies which explode with magma when they hit goblins.

Which reminds me... a lightsaber could be made by fixing the material's temperature at something really high, right? Anyone tried something similar? Why am I hijacking my own thread?

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »

HOW TO:
1.spam service reading passively for vampire
2. proceed to said town
3. ask for service the person you ask will direct you in a certain direction
4. search houses in this direction for a guy who has same animation as you(the blue highlighting)or ask again for further directions
5. accuse them of being a vampire if its a vampire they get pissed off and attack
6.(optional) proceed with step 5 whil far away and let the peasants maul the not so hard to kill vampire to death
7. drink blood
8.train sneak
9.bludgeon a megabeast to death with a stick
10.be god
 any other questions???

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »

Sure I've got, master!

The town guy sent me to a place in the middle of nowhere, a big area covered in enormous mountains which make you feel like you're hiking through the Himalayas. Either the vampire is trying to become the first to climb the world's tallest mountain, or the townspeople hate me/tend to troll strangers who want to kill their enemies.

This is proving harder than I was expecting. Also, I have died. A lot.

This is so !!FUN!! !

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:36 pm »

Sure I've got, master!

The town guy sent me to a place in the middle of nowhere, a big area covered in enormous mountains which make you feel like you're hiking through the Himalayas. Either the vampire is trying to become the first to climb the world's tallest mountain, or the townspeople hate me/tend to troll strangers who want to kill their enemies.

This is proving harder than I was expecting. Also, I have died. A lot.

This is so !!FUN!! !

sorry i didnt get back in time to respond but maybe make a new world on max size it tends to mae the world together and in one peice more les mountains but rivers get annoying so if u do i sugget sinking points into that also always play a human vampire no questions asked