Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post Goblin Cleanup.  (Read 2268 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post Goblin Cleanup.
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

Is there currently a better way to clean up after a prolonged Goblin slaughter than drafting everyone into sock collecting duty and watching while months pass until everything is done?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Post Goblin Cleanup.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:46:30 pm »

In-game? Not really. DF Hack does the job though nicely.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »

I use DF Hack when I have too but I would rather not unless needed. I was hoping I was missing something obvious or there was someone more creative about it that I on the forums.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:51:13 pm »

The next update will make it much easier, with the new hauling improvements. Otherwise you're out of luck.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »

Yeah next update will have hauling improvements. Until then, if you can arrange for your battles to take place in a specific area, you can also arrange for that area to be periodically flooded with magma when needed. Cleans up everything but the goblinite.

Come to think of it, I wish dwarves had a way of mass-summoning racoons after a siege.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:33:29 pm by Sidhien »

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

Dump all socks on top of a Brigde and lauch?

Just throwing the idea...
Probably isnt going to work but it could be fun

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »

if you're shooting goblins from your fortress walls as they approach, yeah cleanup will be a pain as there will be an entire field of battle with bodies and such.  If you want to minimize cleanup, you trap goblins in a section of your fortress before killing them.  This keeps the waste centralized and you can optimize it by placing an atomsmasher dump near the killzone.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:06:07 am »

It was my understanding that the hauling improvements are implemented via minecarts, but if the goblin corpses are all over the yard, how carts are going to help?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:44:03 am »

I just dump all foreign bodies, loot and all, into a furnace and be done with it.

Only dwarven wares are acceptable for my dwarven people :D

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:58 am »

It was my understanding that the hauling improvements are implemented via minecarts, but if the goblin corpses are all over the yard, how carts are going to help?

The other improvement is that dwarves can pick up several small items in one go.

Oh, and my preferred solution is to put my primary commodities warehouse (big central stockpile set to accept just about everything but food, wood, fuel and base metal bars) and the armoury right next to the only entrance to the fortress, which is also where all my militia are stationed in the event of enemy attack.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:29:47 am by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:41 am »

Arrange to have all/most of your fighting occur in a prepared atom smashing room.  Forbid everything but goblinite and smash it all the instant the goodies have been removed.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 04:51:12 am »

I've recently started putting stockpiles near the fort entrance for goblinite to save the round trip.
ammo
clothes
armor
weapons

I guess if you really wanted to micromanage it, you could put stockpiles out by the battlefield.  So they would stack everything in bins there, then delete the stockpiles (or (t) the stockpiles from another one inside.)

Hmm, I may have to try this next time.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 05:55:54 am »

I always make a pit from the surface to the magma sea with a retractable bridge on top to prevent flying baddies from entering the fort. Then simply try to kill everything as close to this pit as possible.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."