Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer screening  (Read 26026 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Necromancer screening
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:07:03 pm »

You know those necromancers that arrive ambushing? Well I've not had much troubles with them, with one notable exception.

I like above ground forts. This means that ambushers can show up inside my fortress from anywhere on the map.
And I didn't want to use traps on this fort, until I found some goose skin get necro'd.
19 times in a row.
No problem, tried the usual, set up cage traps in chokes to see if I could catch it alive.
No luck.
Created a new military patrol to find this necromancer and process it into a corpse.
No luck.
I convince myself that the necromancer probably got scared and ran away.

NOPE

The necromancer avoided detection for 2 entire seasons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And walked right into my raven stockpile.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

I'm confident I could take down the swarm with the 60 soldiers at my disposal, but of course they won't stay dead until I find this necromancer.
And throwing fuel at a fire could work, but I doubt it.
And I can't send out military patrols BECAUSE OF THE RAVEN SWARM EATING ALL OF MY CHILDREN.

I'm going to bunker everyone down into the booze stockpile and the central barracks (the only two places where I can even stop the ravens from reaching-I really meant everywhere). And begin the reclaiming of the surface from the ravens.
Again, 60 soldiers, armed, armoured and well trained. Why the hesitance?
It's my entire population.
If I lose my army the fort dies.
To ravens.

SOOOOOOO

Necromancer screening techniques!

1. Bait:
Got raining syndrome blood which causes unconsciousness, and found that although ambushing necromancers run away from pretty much everything, unconscious things don't scare them away, and they also attack them - revealing themself in the process. This worked the first time, can't do it again because it's not raining and there's a giant swarm of ravens everywhere.
On a related tangent, ambushing necromancers appear to be immune to the effects of weather. Can anyone confirm an ambushing creature succumbing to weather/fire/flooding?
2. Anyone know a good way to finding necros?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer screening
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:45 pm »

It might be possible to put some corpses somewhere, accessible to the outside, but hidden from view by a maze of walls. The ravens won't path in there, but the necro might be drawn to the bodies and animate them. Maybe he's drawn towards a refuse stockpile instead, so designate a few as well. The necro would have to walk over cage traps etc. , so he gets caught before he can see the pile.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »

if only there was a way of getting marksdwarves to spam bolts in random directions...

BALLISTAE ARE USEFUL NOW

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »

Wait, raining blood...you're sure you weren't just in an evil area?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »

Wait, wait, wait. Why the hell do you have a raven stockpile?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:03 pm »

Everyone has a fetish ingame, like mine are those wonderful elves kobolds.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

Wait, raining blood...you're sure you weren't just in an evil area?

It's part evil, the raven stockpile was kept in the savage section.

Because.
1. Ravens cannot be butchered.
123. Undead ravens have a yearn to end all things living.
125591. Undead ravens know where you live.
13158568u. The ravens are without number.
1241414111◘. Moose pits do not work on ravens. Metal bolts are not cheap. Permanent death was needed.
1.589258877x10908980. The raven stockpile was a part of the much needed area of non-evil land, which ensured permanent raven death.

It might be possible to put some corpses somewhere, accessible to the outside, but hidden from view by a maze of walls. The ravens won't path in there, but the necro might be drawn to the bodies and animate them. Maybe he's drawn towards a refuse stockpile instead, so designate a few as well. The necro would have to walk over cage traps etc. , so he gets caught before he can see the pile.

I might try this, once people stop dying.

So that's sadly going to be not any time soon.

Well played wax workers.

Well played.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:13:12 am »

Whelp. The raven swarm was killed (multiple times), baiting the wax worker with the corpses worked, and I managed to flush it into some of the traps. Three Dwarves with critical injuries, quite a few with scratches, bruising and a few broken / lost limbs, but mostly superficial injuries. My biggest lost would have to be the amount of metal bolts - STEEL bolts lost ;(

Oh and the necromancer?

It was a Dwarf.

OORAH.

Will attempt other methods of Necro detection later.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:01 am »

It was a Dwarf.

nodwarfy expects the necromantic spy service

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:19:45 am »

find one that is alive despite masses of rotting and stick him in the military.

100% military recruitment to population ratio. Plus I don't think Necromancers can be zombies, and quite a few of my Dwarves happen to carry a lot of rotten flesh about them already...

nodwarfy expects the necromantic spy service

HERESY!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »

I was going to put off unnecessarily bumping this thread...

But this happened.

I noticed one of my unhappy Dwarf soldiers just hanging out around one of my gardens (all of the statues depicting Dwarves getting killed by or killing zombies/megabeasts, they love it), and thought nothing of it - besides wondering why he wasn't out training.
B.M. Captain Id Mörulurol. One of my very few combat miners - armed with nothing but a candy pick and a short sword of the same make. Apparently his two squad members didn't mind his disappearance, and felt it best to leave him alone whilst he was particularly anger-prone, and swinging about the pick of course.

Not being able to chain the Dwarf necromancer to the booze stockpile with a brass chain, I felt it would be fitting to give the Dwarf a tower, in honour for the skill and bravery it showed in infiltrating my fortress.
(Didn't want to put it with the other captured humans, were creatures and necromancer - it would've been an insult to the brave Dwarf).
When the Dwarf caravan arrived - and I found I was able to bring the Dwarf cage to the depot, I wanted to see if I could... Send the Dwarf to the mountain home.

A few minutes later, I get an announcement, someone got interrupted by the Dwarf necromancer. I immediately feared that the Dwarf had escaped and found the new raven stockpile, and checked the combat logs.

And I just witnessed the first report that actually made me cringe...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Id's wife was one of the 3 critically injured Dwarves. Who got discharged from the hospital after that exact day, by the doctor mentioned. Might've been a friendly reminder to go help his wife, might've been revenge.
I don't know why it was particularly brutal to me, maybe it's because I've so far treated worthy prisoners well. Or that he was defenseless. Might've been the fact that I was going to give that Dwarf a special place in my fortress, and it felt bad seeing my efforts squandered.
Or maybe it's because the Dwarf got turned into 8 pieces of body parts, and was conscious throughout the entire ordeal. And Id could've made a clean kill from the very first hit...

"Mutilated corpse."

BIG UNDERSTATEMENT RNG.

On the bright side, Captain Id shall be one of the lucky few Dwarves who's corpse will not be placed in the cursed tombs.

*FUTURE EDIT

Turns out As was the former king of a Dwarven civilization.

Wow.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:43:54 pm by Loud Whispers »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:09:49 pm »

DAMN
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

Emergent behaviour can be a wonderful thing, can it not? :D

I've seen a similar combat report, where the hammer dwarf would smash his victims hands and feet then leave the prone body to the tender mercies of the dabbling and novice spear dwarves he was the captain of.  In one case I could swear he was torturing the elf, as he started at the hands and feet, then lower arms/legs, then upper arms/legs, then upper/lower body, but never the head.

Oh, and Fetch the Comfy Chair!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2