Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Necromancer screening  (Read 26014 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Necromancer screening
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »

I've seen a similar combat report, where the hammer dwarf would smash his victims hands and feet then leave the prone body to the tender mercies of the dabbling and novice spear dwarves he was the captain of.  In one case I could swear he was torturing the elf, as he started at the hands and feet, then lower arms/legs, then upper arms/legs, then upper/lower body, but never the head.

Something about the more experienced military Dwarflords is just so sadistic. Even when they could easily dispense killing blows like a broken vending machine set to automatic, they instead choose to maim, and maim, and maim, and maim, and maim and maim and maim...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »

Truly horrifying.

Any luck on better ambush/necromancer screening techniques? I had a tough time finding one of the bastards a while ago. Lost some number of dwarves, a good fraction of the young fort's population, to the undead he created in my refuse stockpile. I initially couldn't find them, and had to build a wall around my stockpiles under threat of verytihng in it coming back from the dead and ripping a mason to pieces. It took months. I managed to get it all walled in with the only access from below, and the damnable necro decided he could just waltz right into my fortress. One of the dwarves caught him at the bottom of the entry ramps, and the military had to chase him down and beat him to a pulp.

I think they are legitimately intent on taking from a refuse stockpile, so it may be usable as bait. I also think the best mode of catching them may well be to let them wander deep into the heart of your fortress before running into a trained soldier on a very short patrol route in the entry passage to the otherwise completely secure refuse pile.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »

Wait, raining blood...you're sure you weren't just in an evil area?
IIRC, you can have mists OR blood rain OR syndrome rain OR resurrection, no combinations without intersecting biomes.

And then there is masterwork mod with its rare dragonfire mists.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:10 am »

Any luck on better ambush/necromancer screening techniques?

Goose skin baiting appears to still be the best method of pinpointing a Necro's location without having to comb your entire fortress.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 11:26:29 am »

Wait, raining blood...you're sure you weren't just in an evil area?

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding it's horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood!

Mwahahahaha...

Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

I was going to put off unnecessarily bumping this thread...

But this happened.

I noticed one of my unhappy Dwarf soldiers just hanging out around one of my gardens (all of the statues depicting Dwarves getting killed by or killing zombies/megabeasts, they love it), and thought nothing of it - besides wondering why he wasn't out training.
B.M. Captain Id Mörulurol. One of my very few combat miners - armed with nothing but a candy pick and a short sword of the same make. Apparently his two squad members didn't mind his disappearance, and felt it best to leave him alone whilst he was particularly anger-prone, and swinging about the pick of course.

Not being able to chain the Dwarf necromancer to the booze stockpile with a brass chain, I felt it would be fitting to give the Dwarf a tower, in honour for the skill and bravery it showed in infiltrating my fortress.
(Didn't want to put it with the other captured humans, were creatures and necromancer - it would've been an insult to the brave Dwarf).
When the Dwarf caravan arrived - and I found I was able to bring the Dwarf cage to the depot, I wanted to see if I could... Send the Dwarf to the mountain home.

A few minutes later, I get an announcement, someone got interrupted by the Dwarf necromancer. I immediately feared that the Dwarf had escaped and found the new raven stockpile, and checked the combat logs.

And I just witnessed the first report that actually made me cringe...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Id's wife was one of the 3 critically injured Dwarves. Who got discharged from the hospital after that exact day, by the doctor mentioned. Might've been a friendly reminder to go help his wife, might've been revenge.
I don't know why it was particularly brutal to me, maybe it's because I've so far treated worthy prisoners well. Or that he was defenseless. Might've been the fact that I was going to give that Dwarf a special place in my fortress, and it felt bad seeing my efforts squandered.
Or maybe it's because the Dwarf got turned into 8 pieces of body parts, and was conscious throughout the entire ordeal. And Id could've made a clean kill from the very first hit...

"Mutilated corpse."

BIG UNDERSTATEMENT RNG.

On the bright side, Captain Id shall be one of the lucky few Dwarves who's corpse will not be placed in the cursed tombs.

Either this is the most epic coincidence ever, or the A.I. is more intelligent then it lets on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:48:40 am »

Damn, I really need to play DF again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 [2]