Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider and WereHorse related question  (Read 1538 times)

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spider and WereHorse related question
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:14 pm »

Well I just recently started a new fortress and was lucky enough to get a tame giant cave spider as one of my migrant's pets, I am building a silk farming room but no goblins have come so I don't have anything to put as an incentive for the GCS to squirt money everywhere. Later on a were-horse came and I was really lucky that the CGS was there to spam webs everywhere which knocked it into a cage trap. I am wondering If I can drag the werehorse in werehorse from to the restraint or if I should just wait until I get a more reliable invader captured. Oh and I want to know how squishy the spider is, as in if I can just leave it near my drawbridge and it won't get shot/killed by a random arrow.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spider and WereHorse related question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »

They are pretty squishy. If you want to keep it alive for a long time, only use it in controlled areas. Put it behind fortifications and strip ranged weapons from its targets.

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

One more thing, I have a castle like entrance to my fortress with a ceiling and fortifications 1 z level above the ground, the cave spider will shoot through fortifications and down a z level right?

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

Yes, GCS will shoot webbing through a channeled tile above them, often to the delight of the sacrificial animal just outside the fortifications of your web farm. If you are going to drop a hostile GCS through a channeled hole, make sure you have a remotely controlled hatch cover so you can get your dorfs out of  the way, and collect the silk. I have no experience with a GCS shooting silk DOWN through a channeled tile, but i imagine it is the same mechanic.
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:40:25 pm »

I don't think spiders spit webs across z-levels. They might try, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.