Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military training is SLOW  (Read 6352 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Re: Military training is SLOW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »

Oh, right -- the other part.  They will not reload ammo if they can see an enemy unit.

Thanks! That should clear up one of my problems.

Ideally, you should either be giving your squads idle periods every few months, or setting the training #'s to less than squad size to give dwarves a break and prevent the "long patrol" thought, but for whatever reason the idle breaks have stopped preventing this thought.

And this is something else I didn't know. Even when they were getting a break every other month (one month training, one month idle), they were still complaining about long patrol duty.

Thanks!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »

Melee dwarves get happy thoughts from long sparring sessions, and you can deploy them to kill wildlife for joy of slaughter.

For marksdwarves you can train them as hunters or use archery targets. Make a 1x6 path with walls on both sides to the target, and channel the tiles around the back and sides of the target. Make one target per dwarf in your squad, and assign the squad to each target making sure the barracks designation doesn't overlap. Also, make sure the target is set to fire from the proper direction and that your dwarves have bolts to fire. Each dwarf will fire at a seperate targey until they run out of bolts or nature calls.
For bolts, assign 30 or so bolts per dwarf (so 300 bolts for ten dwarves) and assign all bolts forcombat and training (It's thay way by default). A legendary bone bolt shot from a legendary bone crossbow by a legendary crossbowdwarf will down most threats.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »

... use archery targets. Make a 1x6 path with walls on both sides to the target, and channel the tiles around the back and sides of the target. Make one target per dwarf in your squad, and assign the squad to each target making sure the barracks designation doesn't overlap.

I wasn't aware that this was required. What's the significance of the barracks designation overlapping?

Maybe this is why my archery targets aren't used very often, but I never heard that it was required. Thanks for the tip!

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »

wood bolts are good for training if you have lots of wood as each task is 25 bolts instead of the 5 bone bolts you get
Pages: 1 [2]