Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: I got a female and a male dragon  (Read 34507 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I got a female and a male dragon
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »

how about using gcs webs? you could capture a GCS fist and make it we your trapping hallway. Just make sure that dragons have nothing to _burn immediately_ when they go over the webs. I believe they are not smart enough to use their fire to free the way.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:10 am »

how do you get them to chase after something without burning it to a crisp? They dont seem to have a cooldown on their breath attack
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 12:24:19 am »

They do, it's just a mere 1-2 turns, which is the blink of an eye to us as palyers.

The best way to prevent the death of the bait would be to train a dwarf in shield use in a danger room, then have them, with their squad innactive but wearing their gear, wander into the room to pick up a sock or whatever, and attract the dragons' attention, but hopefully blocking the dragonfire with their legendary shield user skill. At that point there's a 95% chance they'll run into the room like an idiot and get cornered, a 4% chance they will run back out and not be followed, and a 1% chance they will attract the dragons attention for just long enough to spring whatever trap you lay. Urist Da Vinci has a point about the cave-ins having a good chance to fling the dragons into the walls and kill them, but it's certainly easier to set up than a GCS trap.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:41 am »

how do you get them to chase after something without burning it to a crisp? They dont seem to have a cooldown on their breath attack
If you put a glass window between them and the bait, they might still path to the bait since they don't have a line of effect for the breath.

IIRC dragon breath is still only on the same z-level as the dragon, so a dwarf taunting them from above might be good as bait. Their path to the bait takes them over the webbed traps.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:25 am »

Will a glass window work?

I had the great idea of setting up glass windows with dogs behind 'em at my fortress entrance. The Dogs where standing on a stairwell which led into my fort. In the first greenskin-siege the brought a dozen cavedragons. Those beasts destroyed the windows and ate my dogs just before descending into my fort....

luckily I was able to fend them of since the goblers where tied by my defenses elsewhere.

But still Dragon + glass window = not safe... - it might buy u some time to get out of their breathrange though.       

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:35 am »

In the first greenskin-siege the brought a dozen cavedragons.

Ho-ly crap. I wish I had goblins like yours.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:51 am »

Hide the windows behind fortifications.  You might need to construct the fortification/window setup without breaching the dragon chamber and then seal a sacrificial miner in there to make the breach, or use a bait animal to lure the dragon out of the room while you make the connection.

I believe you need two layers of fortifications in front of the windows, as building destroyers don't need to be directly adjacent (unless fortifications block them?)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:18 pm »

I think I will have to go for the webs
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »

Won't dragons that have gotten a taste for dwarven flesh and blood be mortal enemies of the fortress for all time?  So even if you did manage to catch them despite their cageimmune, won't they still be dwarven gourmets?  Or has that changed since I last caught one.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 11:40:01 pm »

Won't dragons that have gotten a taste for dwarven flesh and blood be mortal enemies of the fortress for all time?  So even if you did manage to catch them despite their cageimmune, won't they still be dwarven gourmets?  Or has that changed since I last caught one.
yeah, that changed with the new taming system

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:17 pm »

That was changed in the training update.  Because they're wildcaught, they will never be fully tamed.  The main value will probably be in children, which will be slaughtered for (very valuable) parts.  The children will be useless for melee defense until they are 1000 years old (size 6000, only slightly larger than cats, at 5000), but will be a valuable source of prepared meals, bonecrafts, prepared meals, soap, and leather goods.  Young dragons could still be used in dragon fire emplacements, bunkered behind fortifications, with shutters in case of archers, but would overall probably be more valuable dead.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:39 am »

Actually, after a lot of !!SCIENCE!!, it was concluded that animals actually change size gradually over time, so your baby dragons are getting progressively larger every year. I estimate, with the simple, uneducated guess of an equation ([maximum size] - [size at birth])/[age upon reaching maximum size], or (25,000,000 - 6000)/1000, that a dragon will gain about 24,994 units of volume every year, with a margin of error of not knowing when the game begins/ceases to calculate body mass. By their first birthday, they will be both larger and far, far more effective than your basic war dogs. By their third, they will be bigger than your dwarves, and probably about as effective as a soldier of talented skill. By their tenth, a pack of dragons will be giving just about anything short of a pack of adult dragons a run for their money. They don't gain skill from experience, but they'll be extremely valuable alive as war animals to place in the field ahead of your military. Even should they die in combat, which seems rare if their opening attack is to enthusiastically torch everything around them, including fleshy, oil-rag goblins, momma is still making more. If you let her live...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:32 am »

Why has no-one demanded a save yet?

I'm going to do it.

I demand a save! (Or worldgen parameters)
[Signature]

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 02:34:19 am »

Aren't they not war trainable until they're adults?  Still useful when pastured, but they would be harder to order to the front lines.  Didn't know that about animal growth, though.  That's really interesting.

And why would you ever kill a breeding female dragon?  She's a priceless dragon factory.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 04:27:48 am »

or at least dragon egg roasts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9