Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: I got a female and a male dragon  (Read 34519 times)

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
Re: I got a female and a male dragon
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:41 am »

At 23 years, a dragon is the size of a giant cheetah.
At 80 years, a dragon is the size of an adolescent Roc.
At 200 years, a dragon is the size of an adult elephant.
At 320 years, a dragon is the size of a Hydra.
At 800 years, a dragon is the size of a Bronze colossus or an adult Roc.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 06:22:35 am »

Danger! Cave-ins could kill the dragons, and you need them caught alive.

One z-level won't hurt them, but will stun them
It will KILL the dragon if the ceiling falls on it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:36:23 am »

Dragons are also very heavy. Where small animals like rabbits are all but immune to falling damage, something as massive as a dragon could suffer serious damage, even from a small fall.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 09:39:44 am »

The save is for LFR mod (though this does not affect dragons afaik) but if people still want it, sure.

The trick to getting dragons is to gen a long world (1050) and then download legends viewer and find the camps w more than 1 dragon outcast. If you are lucky you will find a hetero couple.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:06 am »

Hey! A male dragon and his male dragon life partner might not be able to 'biologically' make little dragons, but their love is a real love and they are fully capable of providing hatchlings with a supportive, nurturing environment no matter what you or the Nebraska state legislature thinks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:17 am »

You might want to use the dust from a cave-in to knock both dragons unconscious and cage them and breed them. Do not, of course, drop the cave-in ON the dragon.

Hey! A male dragon and his male dragon life partner might not be able to 'biologically' make little dragons, but their love is a real love and they are fully capable of providing hatchlings with a supportive, nurturing environment no matter what you or the Nebraska state legislature thinks.

But we adult dragons don't need a "supportive, nurturing environment" if there are no kids to be made.

If we stay straight, we can outpopulate our natural enemy, the bronze colossus (hydras and rocs are just too vulnerable to dragonfire) and we shall CONQUER THE WORLD !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:53:34 am by Naryar »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

Thats my punishment for posting in that thread about gay dwarves, I guess.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:55 pm »

Danger! Cave-ins could kill the dragons, and you need them caught alive.

One z-level won't hurt them, but will stun them
It will KILL the dragon if the ceiling falls on it.

Nonono, you're supposed to drop the floor out from under them. THey'd be on top the collapsing structure, or at least adjacetn to it such taht the dust knocks them down into the cage traps.

Aren't they not war trainable until they're adults?  Still useful when pastured, but they would be harder to order to the front lines.  Didn't know that about animal growth, though.  That's really interesting.

Actually it's kinda unclear exactly when the hatchlings will be considered breeding and trainable adults, because the dragons don't have a CHILD:x tag, so there's no specified age to which they must live to become an adult. The body size token has no relation with the child token, as far as I'm aware...

If SimontheDwarf captures and breeds them successfully, we'll eventually have our answer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:25:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »

I can't capture them - because I dont have access to the floor they are sitting on. The access is hindered by...

The dragons. They burn everything.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »

You should be able to build whatever apparatus you need from your side of the wall, seal it off with a sacrificial peasant-miner on the inside, and then breach the wall connecting it with their room. 

I don't think there's anywhere that's actually truly reliably safe to be during a cave in.  Not even off to the side up above, as so many of my martyred miners can attest.  Have you explored your caverns for GCSs yet?  They're not all that hard to trap, and very useful for more than just dragon catching.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »

Actually it's kinda unclear exactly when the hatchlings will be considered breeding and trainable adults, because the dragons don't have a CHILD:x tag, so there's no specified age to which they must live to become an adult. The body size token has no relation with the child token, as far as I'm aware...

If SimontheDwarf captures and breeds them successfully, we'll eventually have our answer.
Checking the LFR raws I see that it hasn't edited dragons, and as such they follow the same rules as vanilla dragons. This means that the answer is actually "never" because baby dragons don't exist or breed ever in vanilla DF. Eggs will be laid, but they will never hatch. If he wants baby dragons then he will need to add the [CHILD:X] token to the dragon entry, and then whatever value he puts in for 'X' will determine when any newborn dragons shift from being children to being trainable adults.

Personally if I was going to do that I would set it to something like 10-20 years if I wanted to be realistic, 1-5 years if I wanted to breed a dragon army, and 50-200 years if I wanted to be cruel.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »

But, they breed in worldgen? Hmm... Damn complex spore-based reproductive system.

Needs immediate ‼SCIENCE‼
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

Would digging upwards onto their floor work?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »

Would digging upwards onto their floor work?
What are you trying to achieve by digging up?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

I really hope you manage to capture the dragons alive.  The potential uses for a breeding pair of semi-tame dragons are immensely fun to think about.

A few things I'd like to contribute:
 - As far as I know, Eric Blank's body-size calculations are correct.  DF takes the creature's sizes as declared in the raws and creates a straight-line progression between them (I'm not entirely sure what it does for creatures with more than two given sizes; I think it just makes a straight line between each size and the next).
 - Dragons lay eggs, so any breeding program must include nest boxes.
 - Using a cave-in to catch dragons in cage traps could work, but there are several things to keep in mind:
    - Anything caught underneath a cave-in is instantly killed.
    - Cave-ins produce a lot of dust, which can fling stuff around and cause a lot of damage.
    - Buildings (likely including cage traps) on top of floors/walls which collapse will deconstruct into their constituent building materials.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9