Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Most Useful Dwarven Child  (Read 5133 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
The Most Useful Dwarven Child
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:01:21 pm »

In my current fort, I was slowly mining out the area below the tower I was building, when I noticed this (the child arrived last year so I have no clue how long this was happening):

I have a child mining!
With skilled in Engraver, Mason, Gem Cutter/Setter, Stone Crafter, and Mechanic as well!
And as if that wasn't enough:

The kid is only four!
And arrived last year!
I have to ask, has this happened to anyone ELSE?
(I apologize for image quality.  I'm using Dial-up internet)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Most Useful Dwarven Child
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:23 pm »

I'd suspect her of being a vampire, but she's slept and drank lately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »

WITCH! BURN IT!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:31 pm »

What is interesting is that, unless she completed the job I am thinking of, I may have a second child in the fort like this one.

Edit: also came with a mithril pick.

Second Edit: I have lost an Alpaca that was in a cage a while back.

Third Edit: Do not let Girlinhat see this or post a link to this in the dwarven child care thead.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:55:44 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »

I suspect that Dwarf Therapist is to blame.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »

Wait wait wait...

DIAL-UP STILL EXISTS?!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:43 pm »

Edit: also came with a mithril pick.

Mithril?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:27 pm »

Soaplent green is goblins!

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:08:51 am »

Mithril?
Modding.

Which might explain the odd behaviour too.

I do wish people would put a freaking [MOD] tag in discussions that aren't about regular DF.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Useful Dwarven Child [Modded DF]
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:56 am »

Wait wait wait...

DIAL-UP STILL EXISTS?!

Necessary for areas that are in complete dead zones for all higher-speed internet connections.

I suspect that Dwarf Therapist is to blame.

I did not use Dwarf Therapist for this, otherwise I would not have put this up.

Mithril?
Modding.

Which might explain the odd behaviour too.

I do wish people would put a freaking [MOD] tag in discussions that aren't about regular DF.

1-Possibly.
2-Don't blame me for not putting the mod tag on there.  I'm new to the forums.
(The raws for this world have combination of Fortress Defense, A some selective Regeneration mod items and buildings [no creatures or entities], The Elder Scrolls Mod, and a friendly dragon civ. that I modded in.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:07:28 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

If I have a child gain a legendary skill from a mood, I will use dwarf therapist to put that child to work.  Doesn't seem too exploit-y to me.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »

If I have a child gain a legendary skill from a mood, I will use dwarf therapist to put that child to work.  Doesn't seem too exploit-y to me.

That is just it, this child IMMIGRATED to my fort with her skills, and I didn't use dwarf therapist to get her to start working.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »

I'd suspect her of being a vampire, but she's slept and drank lately.

Will vampires disguise themselves as children?  That sounds plausible, and very amusing.

In reference to the thread, I think I've read of other people seeing this before.  Sort of like dwarves immigrating and growing up to be peasants on their birthday, even though they're well past 13 years old.  Does your mod lower the age of adulthood for dwarves?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »

In reference to the thread, I think I've read of other people seeing this before.  Sort of like dwarves immigrating and growing up to be peasants on their birthday, even though they're well past 13 years old.  Does your mod lower the age of adulthood for dwarves?

If it does lower the age, it is only to six, and I think I restored that to default.  I had better say now that the current year is only 52 (I prefer to get to playing DF instead of waiting for worldgen, but I want some decent engravings instead of getting the same three like in a previous fort.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »

The reason for the bug where migrants migrate to the fortress as overage children is (IIRC) because they're historical migrants who WERE children when worldgen ended, but then time passed and, because they weren't being simulated, they didn't turn into grown-ups.

I have no idea. To my knowledge, children not having jobs is hard-coded--or, rather, not being able to change jobs in-game is hard-coded. That's why DwaThr would allow kids to be assigned labors. It's likely not the mod part that matters, nor the mithril pick part. I...really don't have a clue what the cause of this could be,if not DwaThr.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2