Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sniper Elite V2 (It's a pun!)  (Read 10133 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Sniper Elite V2 (It's a pun!)
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

There's a new Sniper Elite game!  Like the name suggests, it's both the second game in the series and involves you, an OSS operative, trying to prevent V2 rocket plans from getting into the hands of the Soviets.  The single player campaign is pretty fun.  Despite the regenerating health it's still very much a stealth oriented game.  You can't run and gun like Call of Duty, and it only takes a few shots to kill you.

Shooting people is totally rad.  The game takes bullet drop (varying depending on your gun's statistics!), windage, background noise (If you time your shots you can mask the sound), and all kinds of other stuff into account.  Penetration doesn't seem to be too great but bullets ricochet realistically and you can bounce a bullet off an object to hit a guy and kill him.  The bullet cam is very fancy, and now it includes a sometimes gross X-ray vision so you can see your bullet shredding organs, breaking, and all of that visceral stuff Jack Thompson loves.

The multiplayer is cool, but a little limited right now.  There's only four modes, Deathmatch and Distance King, and team versions of same.  Deathmatch is just who can get the most kills, and distance king is who can make the longest killing shot.  It's a very different kind of game from most shooters.  It can be very slow and methodical, with lots of sitting very still and watching for movement, followed by frenzied bursts of activity when someone takes a shot and suddenly everyone draws a bead on everyone else.  You still get the occasional chud trying to play Call of Duty, but SMGs and Pistols are of limited effectiveness and most good vantage points have spots you can place mines and tripwire grenades to take care of guys sneaking up behind you.

There's a third mode, which I haven't tried yet, and is part of the reason I posted this.  The game has a two-player co-op mode where one player is a sniper and the other is a spotter, dividing up the stealth and sniping aspects of the gameplay, which sounds pretty cool.  Obviously that's the kind of thing that sounds best played with friends.  The regular multiplayer is probably played best with friends too.  Sniping is a high-skill activity so a lot of games end up being very one-sided as one or two good players feed off the people who aren't as good.

Who else has Sniper Elite already?  Anybody want to organize some coop or deathmatch games?  This is me.  Other people who'd like to get together can post their links too, and we can all add each other.

What do you think about the game?  It's not quite as simulationist as the first but I feel like it's more fun in general.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, there's also only three maps for deathmatch (haven't played distance king yet), which is a little disappointing, but it looks like they'll be adding more.  There's Quarry, which is my favorite.  It's a big valley with people shooting each other from either side and a no-mans-land between them.  There's also Kreuzberg, which is okay, it's some kind of big fancy courtyard surrounded by buildings.  Like before, a lot of no-mans-land.  The last map I hate.  It's a church and buildings around it, and unlike the other maps it's very hard to navigate.  Everything looks the same, there are dozens of places for people to hide where it's basically impossible to see them.  It's also very busy and can be hard to spot people even when they're not well hidden.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:05:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper Elite V2 (It's a pun!)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:10:27 pm »

You forgot to mention that you can shoot people in the testicles.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:23 pm »

You forgot to mention that you can shoot people in the testicles.

I kinda want this game now.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »

I was thinking about picking this up in 6 months or whenever it goes on sale. Do like the idea of it, just don't have the money to blow on full price games.
Magma is overrated.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:46 pm »

If you preordered even better.

Since then you can shoot Hitler in the testicle(s).
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 05:51:06 pm »

Also you can shoot the grenades on someones belt and make them explode. My name is the same on Steam as on here btw.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »

If you preordered even better.

Since then you can shoot Hitler in the testicle(s).
Just so you know, I am always going to associate you with that song (this was the best rendition I could find).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »

It's pretty good, just not worth $50. $35 would be just right, $29.99 would be a steal.

I bought it from http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Sniper-Elite-V2-CD-Key-%252d-Steam-Download-Code.html?setCurrencyId=2 for $35 and downloaded it on steam. It's the 7th game I bought through them with no problem, other than once having to wait 3 hours after I purchased to dl my game.  For you Brits, it's £22.99, Aussies it's $35.80.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »

Turns out there's no way to mute the in-game microphones.  If you've got three people pretending to be Borat, you have to take it or disconnect.
Shoes...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »

Played the first game and found it to be pretty terrible. From what I've read from reviews, the second seems to drank too much modern shooter paint.

I've been trying to find a decent game based just about around sniping and "sniper duels" but I really haven't found anything to scratch the itch.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:37:54 am »

Is the singleplayer campaign just more of the demo?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 01:06:27 am »

It's improved from the demo a fair amount in somewhat subtle ways. I've been having a lot of fun with the game myself, though I'm having a hard time adjusting to the way exaggerated bullet drop. I went in expecting to like the SVT-40 and instead I find myself using the K98 most of the time since the SVT-40s rounds drop like they're fired with just primers and a pinch of gunpowder.

Just how visceral a good kill feels in this game is worth the theme park feel of the ballistics though.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 01:17:37 am »

Ah, but are you accounting for your 200x zoom scope when feeling disgusted about the bullet drop?

What I meant was, "Is the singleplayer campaign more of the same style of gameplay as the demo?"

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:31 am »

The next mission immediately after the first is a lot more stealth friendly. But in the end it IS a third person sniping shooter so for the most part it's third person sniping and shooting.

And on the bullet drop, it's not exactly disgust as it is confusing to someone used to actual rifle shooting and Arma II. Plus on the SVT-40 the zoom is very short anyway.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:04 am »

Can you shoot another sniper through the magnifying lense mounted on their rifle, like that scene in Saving Private Ryan?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: [1] 2 3