Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scales, wool: good for nothing? [34.07]  (Read 2688 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Scales, wool: good for nothing? [34.07]
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »

Just a few quick questions.  (I'm afraid I know the answers, but am hoping I've missed a change or three.  ;) )

1.  My stockpiles are slowly filling with Dragon, Forgotten Beast and Crundle Scales.  These are useless?  Can't be used for anything?

2.  They can be used - for leather armour - by modding the RAWs, but this needs a new world to be gen'd?

3.  Ditto for alpaca, sheep, etc. wool.  These are the leftovers from "incidental" corpses, ie. animals that weren't butchered in time.  (I think) These'll never be used for spinning, etc, right?

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scales, wool: good for nothing? [34.07]
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »

Scales and chitin are useless, but I believe you can spin wool into thread at a loom. Hair can also be spun into thread, the thread can't be used to make cloth but you can stitch dwarves up with it.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:28 pm »

Spin thread is done at a Farmer's Workshop. Threads are turned into cloth at a loom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »

1.  My stockpiles are slowly filling with Dragon, Forgotten Beast and Crundle Scales.  These are useless?  Can't be used for anything?

Completely useless in vanilla.

2.  They can be used - for leather armour - by modding the RAWs, but this needs a new world to be gen'd?

They can be used for a few things.  The easiest way to use them is to add the [SHELL] tag to the scale material template.  This lets you use scale as shells in decoration and moods, but if you tell a bonecrafter to make shell crafts you'll get things like 'crundle scale large gem' appearing for some reason.  This can be done to an existing world.

You can also modify scale to count as skin for leather.  To do this you need to modify scale to have the appropriate tag to use the standard tanning reaction, and then you need to go through every creature in the raws that has scales and remove the line that removes leather from that creature.  I think this can be done post-worldgen, but I haven't tried applying this mod to a world that already exists.

3.  Ditto for alpaca, sheep, etc. wool.  These are the leftovers from "incidental" corpses, ie. animals that weren't butchered in time.  (I think) These'll never be used for spinning, etc, right?

Wool that has been sheared from a living animal can be used, but wool left over from butchering will usually be too short to be spun into cloth.  Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.  Your doctor can still use it to suture wounds.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

Ah.  I have a thriving thread industry, but these are pieces that've been sitting in my refuse pile for quite some time now.  I think it's safe to sat that these are the "rejects."  Pity.

They can be used for a few things.  The easiest way to use them is to add the [SHELL] tag to the scale material template.  This lets you use scale as shells in decoration and moods, but if you tell a bonecrafter to make shell crafts you'll get things like 'crundle scale large gem' appearing for some reason.  This can be done to an existing world.

I like that idea!  Thanks.   :)  As I'm in a more-or-less shell-free region I think I can resist the urge to make shell crafts. 
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:51 am »

no more moody bone crafter shell related deaths, I like the idea
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:51 am »

Wool that has been sheared from a living animal can be used,

Except when it can't.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz