Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Altering movement keys?  (Read 551 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Altering movement keys?
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:10:39 am »

I just got a beautiful new computer. It's gorgeous and better than the old one in many ways, but I'm already finding some problems. Like that the headphone port is on the side where I usually keep my mouse-hand and I keep bumping it. Or that all the USB ports are on the left side so I have to wrap the mouse cord all the way around. Finally, there's no numpad - not even using the Fn key.

It's a Dell. My old computer was a Dell and I could use a numpad by holding down the Fn key and using the UIO and JKL keys, which I always did in-game. This computer won't let me do that and it's really aggravating. I know for most things in DF the numpad is only a convenience and hardly a necessity, but in adv mode I need to be able to move diagonally and I don't want to have to be jumping all over the keyboard in order to do it.

So is there an easy way to set this up? I'd love to be able to use the same keys (UIO, JKL), with the Ctrl or Alt key so that they can still serve their usual functions (like talking, looking, etc.). I'm pretty sure I should be able to modify the controls this way, but I'm not sure how to do it or where. Is there a quick guide somewhere, or has someone done this change before and I can copy what they did? I looked in the wiki but what's there isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: I just tried adding some key bindings to the interface.txt file to see if I could figure it out, but no dice. Here's what I did (adding the last line under each command) - am I editing the wrong commands, or am I adding the bindings wrong, or is it not possible to add these ones, or am I in the wrong file entirely and need to do something different? Thanks again!

Code: [Select]
[BIND:A_MOVE_N:REPEAT_FAST]
[SYM:0:8]
[SYM:0:Numpad 8]
[SYM:0:Up]
[SYM:0:Ctrl+8]
[BIND:A_MOVE_S:REPEAT_FAST]
[SYM:0:K]
[SYM:0:Numpad 2]
[SYM:0:Down]
[SYM:0:Ctrl+K]
[BIND:A_MOVE_E:REPEAT_FAST]