Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your best or most unique Embarking site  (Read 2318 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your best or most unique Embarking site
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:51:12 pm »

I found an embarking location which appeared to have everything:
  Obsidian, Gold, Platinum, Iron Ore, Copper, Silver, variety of gems, good wood supply, a cave, a small overlap of evil biome and even an 11z  Waterfall .

After a few hours of digging down, down, down, down... there was no FLUX stone.    :(

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
Re: Your best or most unique Embarking site
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »

It's very similar to mine, but have flux stone, I can make steel! :P.

I hate waterfalls though,stupid dwarves think that its safe to cross the waterfall, you know what happens next, no?
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:01 am »

Here's an old 3Dwarf screenshot of it:

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:16 am »

^^ holy sheeeet
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:30 am »

Embarks where FAR more fun back in older versions.

Back when hunting for things was more a challenge.

These days, no matter WHERE  you embark, you will always have:
Magma,
Fresh Water,
Candy,

No matter what else, you will always have these things.
Back in the OLD days, trying to find a good spot WITH a magma pipe? Very hard.  And magma AND Candy? Very VERY hard!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:31:49 am »

I had a sheer cliff face (naturally sheer), whose top was a good biome (forget which one), whose bottom was a terrifying biome.

Aside from the sheer cliff face, it had plenty of gold and silver, it had a small lake at the bottom of the cliff, and a small upraised little mini-plateu at the bottom.

The underground also had a pretty darn tall ceiling and a magma pipe (whatever they are called) venting into one of the underground layers.

I called it Moria.

I THEN LOST IT WHEN MY HD FAILED!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:14 am »

These days, no matter WHERE  you embark, you will always have:
Magma,
Fresh Water,
Candy,

No matter what else, you will always have these things.
Back in the OLD days, trying to find a good spot WITH a magma pipe? Very hard.  And magma AND Candy? Very VERY hard!
Fresh water? Not always. For example I have had several embarks with no water outside (pools dried up almost immediately) and all caverns were dry. So usually yes, definitely not always.

As for Candy, if you go smaller than 3*3 embark location you always have a chance to not have one. And in 3*3 area it's always possible that you have only one pillar which may be completely hollow. So yes, while you do the pillar you don't get the benefit (not counting clowns here).

In case of magma, yeah, you will always have that.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »

my most unique one was a desert ..... because i only embarked in a desert once in this version.
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:36 am »

I had one with a big natural spire sited right in a 90-degree corner between two huge vertical cliff faces in which a volcano was embedded. I smoothed the spire into my, to date, only successful above-ground megatower, and the two ciff faces formed two of the walls I needed to wall off the entire map. Iron, coal, and flux were also present in large quantities. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that that was the site of my largest pump stack as well -- a 57-Z pump to bring water to the surface, since there was no river and the climate made pools dry up in summer.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »

Hmm I think I might have the best....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bwuhaaaahhaaa haaa !!!!! I WANT CANDY!!!!!
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:44 am »

no hfs, 14z deep, magma at -10, 10z buildable above ground, 17x17, 100yr history.  300mb, runs at cap after 4yrs, siegers bring metals. still lots of dragons in the world. oh sweet.      .. so yes, i tweaked the gen. and this is good why???

i have carp!

they kill whatever leftover undead bits meddle with them. if they could be bred somehow i'd make a moat full of them.