Yes, but keep the old files
- 13 (46.4%)
Yes, and remove the old files
- 4 (14.3%)
What are you, high?
- 4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Dragonic Civilization (In process of being redone)  (Read 99408 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonic Civilization v.0.2
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »

Looks pretty good actually ;)

When are we getting dragon-adventurers? That would be really awesome, but remove the breath fire, it may be totally OP.

Already able to get those! (I'm pretty sure...)
I am unable to work on this mod during the weekend due to a trip.  If anyone wants to create a dragon language or a tile set while I am gone, feel free to do so!  Next: the castes!  (That's going to be a nightmare, considering I have no idea what to do!  I'll just reference TES mod's khajiit.)

EDIT: There are going to be 16 different species.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:26:02 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 09:11:24 am »

Could use this as a reference, by Putnam.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 10:47:48 am »

I like this and am posting to watch a fellow dragon modder.   Any questions I can answer I will be happy to assist with as well.

As for your forge troubles, you can usually add the items to your entity and most things should show up properly where they should sensibly go.  What shows up where is a slightly complicated combination of entity, materiel, and item tags.

Usually the game understands that weapons should be made out of metal with a maxedge value above a certain number, and the weapon is allowed in the entity file for example. 

It's easy to understand once you get the general idea.  But getting the general idea is tricky. Just copying an item that is closest to what you want and making adjustments seems to be a good way to go while learning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for workshops, there doesn't actually seem to be a page on modding them.  Interesting...   This program has been very handy to me for generating the looks of a workshop.  It was made for an earlier DF version, but it still works.  It dosn't do all the work for you but it generates the big long [TILE: [COLOR: and [BLOCK: lines for you.  Then you just copy the output, paste it into an actual raw file and edit it from there.

Here's a quick rundown on the other workshop tags that aren't immediately obvious.

• [DIM:X:X] The dimensions of the workshop.  Most hardcoded workshops are [DIM:3:3]  something like the kennel would be [DIM:5:5].  The numbers don't have to be equal.  But the numbers do mess with the other tags in the raw.  If you change the dimensions, you need to change TILE COLOR and BLOCK to compensate for the extra tiles.
  • [WORK_LOCATION:X:X] The coordinates for where a dwarf is standing during construction or when doing work in the workshop in relation to the workshop.   For example in a 3x3 workshop ":2:2]" is the middle.  "1:1]" would be the top left, "2:3]" would be center right.
  • [BUILD_LABOR:X] The labor used to build the workshop.  For example SOAP_MAKER for a soaper.  This has no effect on jobs done at the shop after construction, those are controlled by reactions.
  • [BUILD_KEY:X] Which key is used as a keyboard shortcut for the building in the workshop menu. Can be :NONE]
  • [BLOCK:N:X:X:X:......] Part of the workshop layout.  This controls which tiles can be passed through once the workshop is finished. (Always make sure the WORK_LOCATION is unblocked or the workshop will never finish construction)  "N" is the north/south coordinate, while the : each separate the next tile eastward.  The values for "X" can either be 0 or 1.  1 indicates blocked, 0 is not.  Look at the soap maker workshop in ../raws/building_custom.txt for an example.  You need to account for the building dimensions here, adding more values as appropriate.  Workshop workshop can generate this for you.
  • [TILE:Y:N:X:X:X:.....] This controls which tiles are used to represent the workshop during various stages of construction.  I highly recommend using workshop workshop to generate these.  It can be done by hand, but it's tedious and requires a lot of refrencing the character table
    • "Y" is the stage of construction.  0 indicating what it looks like before it has begun construction, 3 indicating the final look. With 1 and 2 being what it looks like during the different stages of construction and deconstruction.
    • "N" Is exactly like it is on the BLOCK entry.  It is the north south tile number.
    • "X" Is the tile used.  Either a series of numbers relating to the character table or an actual typed in symbol surrounded by quotes.
  • [COLOR:Y:N:X1:X2:X3:X1:X2:X3:X1:X2:X3:.....] The Color used to paint the tile, exactly like the creature color tag is the main respect, but in a similar setup to the workshop TILE tag.  Y and N are the same as TILE, and X1:X2:X3: are the foreground, brightness, and background colors used to draw the tile same as the COLOR tag used in other raws.  With each individual tile having it's own 3 values.  You can also opt to replace the usual 3 part color entry with "MAT:" to have that tile use the color of the building materiel.  Workshop workshop takes care of this for you, although it cannot handle color based on materiel, since that was implemented after the program came out.
  • [BUILD_ITEM:X:X:.....] The items required to build the workshop.  Exactly like the [REAGENT: line in a reaction.  Can have multiple, though each diffrent item needs it's own [BUILD_ITEM: tag.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:52:39 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »

Well, the trip was canceled.  I can get back to working on this.

Could use this as a reference, by Putnam.

Thanks, that will cut down what I need to do!

-snip-

Thanks for that!  Will be useful.  Can you create the language or the tile set?  I have no clue how to create a tile set, and do not want to slow down progress of the mod from having to write an entire language.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »

I tried to do this once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »

Yea you can create languages as well.  There is another helpful program called DFLang.  You pretty much just plug DF's languige_SYM file into it (DFLang may come with an outdated one that would cause DF to throw errors with the resulting file don't use that one) then find or create a text file that lists off a bunch of words that sound similar to what you want your language to sound like and plug that in.  DFLang will crunch some numbers and output a formatted DF raw language file.

I created a draconic language file using a google search for a D&D draconic dictionary(don't recall the origonal source exactly), a little copy/paste and came up with a language file I've been using for roughly two years.

DFLang

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the tileset my knowledge is limited.  I know it's possible to change the tileset, but I've never done it since I use the regular 800x600 curses.  I think that is just a matter of creating a tileset, either based off the one in ...data/art or an entirely new one and point to it in the init.txt file.  But I'm not certain.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:14 pm »

I tried to do this once.

As far as I have found, the only way around that is [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE], but I don't want my dragons to be elves.

Yea you can create languages as well.  There is another helpful program called DFLang.  You pretty much just plug DF's languige_SYM file into it (DFLang may come with an outdated one that would cause DF to throw errors with the resulting file don't use that one) then find or create a text file that lists off a bunch of words that sound similar to what you want your language to sound like and plug that in.  DFLang will crunch some numbers and output a formatted DF raw language file.

I created a draconic language file using a google search for a D&D draconic dictionary(don't recall the origonal source exactly), a little copy/paste and came up with a language file I've been using for roughly two years.

DFLang

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the tileset my knowledge is limited.  I know it's possible to change the tileset, but I've never done it since I use the regular 800x600 curses.  I think that is just a matter of creating a tileset, either based off the one in ...data/art or an entirely new one and point to it in the init.txt file.  But I'm not certain.

That will be useful.  The data/art was what I was referring to.  Sorry for any confusion caused.

Edit: change that, I meant the one in raw/graphics, not data/art.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:07:30 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 01:01:41 pm »

I tried to do this once.

It isn't a proper dragon fortress if the surrounding countryside is not a scorched wasteland. :D

Remember Smaug.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 01:09:12 pm »

I tried to do this once.

It isn't a proper dragon fortress if the surrounding countryside is not a scorched wasteland. :D

Remember Smaug.

Multiplied by 100-1000

EDIT: nor is it dwarven to have anything but a scorched wasteland around your fort.

EDIT THE SECOND: You know, isn't it amazing that dwarves and dragons always seem to be at war, despite such similar views of how their places should look, and how similar their thought processes are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:23:06 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:19:06 pm »

VERSION 0.3 RELEASED!

new stuff:
  • 15 different species of dragons!
  • Dragons have their own language!
  • A new dragon forge building!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »

Hugo (i forget the rest of the name) for the beta-forge coding (I borrowed code from your mason's workshop 2 in your regeneration mod for it) (v.0.2)
That's Mr. Hugo the Dwarf :P im only kidding Hugo is fine, altho there is a Hugo Luman? On here as well, one time both of us where on the same thread and there was some confusion when someone said "hugo"

Anywho, I don't mind that you used some code from REGEN. If you like you can use anything from it as long as I get credits (unless it's something everyone has done, cause well then it's just general stuff :P but maybe some credit on coding it  :D )

I have taken a break from Regeneration (a good long break) I still rip stuff outta it for any new mods I make, or if someone is lost/confused how to do something.
Also nice lookin mod

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 07:41:13 pm »

Hugo (i forget the rest of the name) for the beta-forge coding (I borrowed code from your mason's workshop 2 in your regeneration mod for it) (v.0.2)
That's Mr. Hugo the Dwarf :P im only kidding Hugo is fine, altho there is a Hugo Luman? On here as well, one time both of us where on the same thread and there was some confusion when someone said "hugo"

Anywho, I don't mind that you used some code from REGEN. If you like you can use anything from it as long as I get credits (unless it's something everyone has done, cause well then it's just general stuff :P but maybe some credit on coding it  :D )

I have taken a break from Regeneration (a good long break) I still rip stuff outta it for any new mods I make, or if someone is lost/confused how to do something.
Also nice lookin mod

Thank you.

EDIT: did you modify body:quadruped, if so I will need to give you credit for the advanced bone structure mod that I had in my raws when I made this.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:48:24 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »

I think toady fixed the "My arm is broken but my hand is fine, fight on" So I think my ABS is obsolute. Because in older versions of DF broken limbs and joints didn't affect the creature's motor functions. So I made the ABS, but it appears toady fixed it.

Also you can tell if it's mine if in the Body file there is [NERVOUS] on every limb and joint

And I modified all limbs and joints so yes I did.

But anything else that catches your fancy in there go ahead and nab it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »

I think toady fixed the "My arm is broken but my hand is fine, fight on" So I think my ABS is obsolute. Because in older versions of DF broken limbs and joints didn't affect the creature's motor functions. So I made the ABS, but it appears toady fixed it.

Also you can tell if it's mine if in the Body file there is [NERVOUS] on every limb and joint

And I modified all limbs and joints so yes I did.

But anything else that catches your fancy in there go ahead and nab it.

Currently, I see nothing else that I need.  That doesn't mean I will not need something for the enemy civs, however.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonic Civilization v.0.3
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 11:33:09 pm »

This, this is a fine piece of work right here.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40