Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining Improvements  (Read 2375 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining Improvements
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:52:49 am »

Toady is currently working on improved mining and may not make any major changes.  As of yet he does not see a way to do it that will work out well for the game.  Maybe if we all brainstorm this problem we will see a solution.  Given the information toady already released I think he was toying with a system something like this.

Miners can be given orders to mine tiles in different ways.  Each type of mining produces a different product and takes a different amount of time.

Rubble - Useful for metal ores.  Metal ore must be converted to rubble before it can be smelted.  This is the fastest way to mine a tile and the easiest mining product to remove.

Small Stone Blocks - One tile can yield several stone blocks.  Used for stone crafts and maybe some small items from the mason workshop.  Can be quickly hauled away but not as fast as rubble.

Large Stone Blocks - Useful for stone furniture, floodgates, and other large items from the mason workshop.  Have to be hauled to a storage bin individually which takes longer.

Statue Block - Useful for making statues.  Requires a high quality cut stone block which takes longer to produce then any other block.  May have a quality modifier.  Takes the longest to haul away do to it's weight and be hauled individually.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:23 am »

Quote from: Toady on the front page 05/02
I've dropped skill-based mining drop rates for the time being. I'm not sure there will be other mining changes for this release.  I don't yet see a way to make something like rubble or different sizes of rocks a net positive for the game, so I'm just going to stick with the larger intermittent boulders for now to keep things moving.

The problem with rubble and such is that it is going to add items to the game, and the game lags badly as more items are added to it.

I think that a better solution would be to introduce a "mullock" item type that represents any sort of waste material from mining.  Hopefully, mullock could be treated in a manner differently from other materials, and be some of the first stackable materials, and we could simply amalgamate mullock into blobs that could be shoved into landfill walls, or exported off the map to simply be dumped out of sight and out of mind. 

That would give some gameplay benefit in the sense that mining is slowed down a little and you have to manage waste materials, so that mining isn't quite so easy, but also not kill the game with lag.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »

I've been thinking about this a bit.  It seems to me that, for wheelbarrows and mine carts to be a significant component of the actual excavation process, it needs to be necessary, or at least strongly desirable, to clear out a space before mining the next tile.  Otherwise people will just ignore the mined-out stone until they have a use for it, whatever form it's in, like they do now.  This could be done by making mining require an empty tile where the miner stands, or by making tiles cluttered with rock drastically slow down mining or movement.

I also think it would be useful to differentiate between usable chunks of stone and gravel/rubble/mullock/whatever.  As Kohaku points out, we need a way to deal with waste stone that won't murder our FPS, either efficiently removing it from the map or converting it to a form that doesn't contribute so much to the buildup of items that must be tracked.  My though, for what merit it has: mining could create a unit of rubble at the mined-out tile, and a unit of rubble or usable stone at the miner's location, depending on skill.  Two units of building material would be needed to construct a wall, while one would be enough for a ramp, floor, staircase, etc.  A unit of rubble in an empty tile would form a natural ramp of (type of stone) (rubble/gravel/etc.).  Adding a second unit of the same type of rubble would convert it into a natural wall of that sort, while adding a different type would convert it into a generic rubble wall, with no material information saved.  Optimally, dumping rubble onto a ramp next to a cliff would cause it to fall off the side of the cliff, forming a pile below, but I suppose that stable pillars of rubble make as much sense as walls made of soap.

Rubble of a metal ore could still be smelted, so players wouldn't lose metal if a low-skilled miner dug out part of an ore vein unless the rubble got mixed in with waste stone.  Rubble could be used as fill between solid walls, dropped into rivers and lakes to build dams, causeways and the like, or just piled up in a valley somewhere to get it out of the way.  As aka010101 noted, it could also be used to make gravel roadways, which would eventually wear out and need to be replenished.  Abstracted piles of tailings off map would probably be reasonable.

I think it makes sense to have alternate designations for quarrying, in an effort to get as maximize the usable stone produced, and excavating, to turn solid rock into movable rubble as quickly as possible.

Naturally, any attempt to make dealing with waste stone an important aspect of excavation will make it slower and more difficult to dig out a fortress.  Some players will consider this a good thing, and others a bad one.  I don't know what would make both sides happy, besides maybe an init option to turn rubble off.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:08 am »

Since we're on the topic of rubble, and what to do with it, I'd like to bring up something that's bugged me for a while, dirt, when mined out, vanishes completely into thin air.
Now, as changing this would likely lead to ungodly piles of dirt everywhere, i have a few suggestions for dealing with it, and the rubble resulting from mining.

First one is simply have an option to fill tiles with it. It would be an easy way to fill empty spaces (especially those unwanted murky pools full of of murderous fish.) which could serve both practical and aesthetic reasons.
Another way to deal with the dirt would be to treat clay differently, and the clay has to be dug out before it can be used in crafts. The same could also be applied to sand and glass products (though it likely wouldn't take too much sand to make glass.) Also adding the 'peat' type to soil, would make it something worth mining, and provide another source of fuel.
The simplest one that comes to mind though, is to simply have an order available to dump any excess dirt or rubble off the map... Or, until then, wheelbarrows and minecarts will make the dwarven atom smasher a bit more viable, but obviously this isn't a long-term solution.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:40 am »

The only thing that bothered me about the new mining process is that there will be less stone for furniture.

But when I think about it, it does make sense that you'd need a very large boulder to make a single statue. But if the same large boulder can be carved and broken into, say, 3 blocks that can each form a wide and tall enough wall to cover a square, shouldn't the same boulder be large enough to make 3 small pieces of furniture?
I think that a good way to work around this would be to allow masons to break boulders into smaller pieces of stone...or make blocks viable furniture making material.

Actually, making blocks a viable construction material would be kind of ideal, because it would also help with carpenter jobs. Making wooden blocks work as construction material would be great. It makes sense to use an entire log to make a bed, but things like crafts and buckets could be made out of smaller wooden blocks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:21:20 am by Ribs »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »

I just would like to link into these threads the utterly massive thread on rubble from the DF Fort Mode forum.

We beat the topic to death over there, and some people have very good suggestions on how to do this.

Spoiler: selected passages (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:50:26 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare