Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress localization patch  (Read 105023 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Dwarf Fortress localization patch
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:09 am »

I just tested this, and it enables a lot of things of interest to people with total conversions. You can rename everything with this, all vanilla things. All vanilla reactions, even procedually generated demons, titans and FBs. You can make steampunk-themed FBs and alien-titans with this if you so desire. Or make clowns actual clowns, at least from the name.

Same with reactions. I know the Necromunda total conversion uses "brew drink" to make clean drinking water, so it could be renamed to "clean water". Or rename it to "press juice", if you play humans that dont need booze.

Same with furniture. Instead of doors you could make "vault doors", for the fallout mod. And replace "a vile force of darkness" with "a marauding group of supermutants" ;)

You can also hide endless amounts of easter eggs with this in the game. "Winter is upon you" turns to "Ned Stark was right: Winter is coming"

All in all, a very powerful tool.

EDIT: Proof of concept:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:41:26 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My projects on the Github
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:20 am »

I just tested this, and it enables a lot of things of interest to people with total conversions. You can rename everything with this, all vanilla things. All vanilla reactions, even procedually generated demons, titans and FBs. You can make steampunk-themed FBs and alien-titans with this if you so desire. Or make clowns actual clowns, at least from the name.

Same with reactions. I know the Necromunda total conversion uses "brew drink" to make clean drinking water, so it could be renamed to "clean water". Or rename it to "press juice", if you play humans that dont need booze.

Same with furniture. Instead of doors you could make "vault doors", for the fallout mod. And replace "a vile force of darkness" with "a marauding group of supermutants" ;)

You can also hide endless amounts of easter eggs with this in the game. "Winter is upon you" turns to "Ned Stark was right: Winter is coming"

All in all, a very powerful tool.
I even didn't suppose such an application for the tool :D From this point of view it opens new horizons for modding :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:42 am »

Well, I did.  :D

And it works beautifully. Not sure how much this is suitable for normal mods, but some bigger projects and/or total conversion can use this for quite a few things. Its just a lot of work to read through the text and change things without messing anything up. After all, its 12,000 lines of text.  :o

But yeah, thank you. :) This is one more tool for intrepid modders, opening previously closed doors.

EDIT: Still reading, some really interesting parts in there. Werebeasts and Vampires, all body descriptors, seasonal announcements, texts from liaison and diplomats, these:
|An ambush!  Drive them out!|An ambush!  Drive them out!|
|Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!|Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!|
|An ambush!  Skulking vermin!|An ambush!  Skulking vermin!|
|An ambush!  Curse all friends of nature!|An ambush!  Curse all friends of nature!|
|An ambush!  Curse them!|An ambush!  Curse them!|

I have never even seen the ambush, skulking vermin... that must be from a kobold ambush.

EDIT2: OMG. Professions. Anyone wants Mage-labor, Sorcery, Poison making, Priests or Praying in there?

ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT3: Yep, works. :D :D :D

EDIT4: Also interesting:
|Toys|Toys|
|Tools|Tools|
|Instruments|Instruments|

could be made into

Toys|Electronic
Tools|Tools
Instruments|Machinery

And voila, Fallout/Steampunk mod. Just take all vanilla toys/instruments and replace them with the actual items you want to use.

|Statue|Statue| to |Statue|Computer|. Add to the bookkeeper noble. "You bookkeeper requires a computer". Remake statue garden to computer room. Rename party to lan party. "Your bookkeeper has organized a LAN party at the computer room." LOL
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:43:30 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32:47 pm »

Well this is certainly interesting.

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 06:17:45 am »

I know some DFfans in China had already done a simplified chinese localization version.
Perhaps you could ask them for some help?

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:35 am »

I know some DFfans in China had already done a simplified chinese localization version.
Perhaps you could ask them for some help?
I haven't hear about Chinese localization before.
Could you give me some link please?
It's obvious they are going another way, not binary patch. There are no "Slaves to Armok:" nor "Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" strings unobfuscated in the Dwarf Fortress.exe.
Probably they modified sdl_ttf.dll or something like that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 07:04:25 am »

There are no "Slaves to Armok:" nor "Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" strings unobfuscated in the Dwarf Fortress.exe.
Thats exactly what I thought... not that I tried finding those, no... never... ^^

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:24 am »

I found this page: http://bbs.3dmgame.com/thread-3635876-1-1.html
As far as I understood, he is going in parallel to us: he made patched version of Dwarf Fortress.exe (I guess manually), and now he is trying to make modified version of sdl_ttf.dll.
Perhaps we can help each other.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:44 pm »

This is ridiculously awesome. PTW.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »

Wait, what about string length? Does that mean that for example if I want to translate "Carpenter's workshop" (20 chars), that in Spanish would be "Taller de carpinterķa" or "Taller del carpintero" (both 21 char), then I could only write "Taller de carpinterķ" or "Taller del carpinter"?

Other way less convoluted to ask, if a string is 20 chars long, at the moment of translation I need to replace it for exactly for a word(s) 20 chars long? Can't it be more (21), or less (19)?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:16 pm »

Wait, what about string length? Does that mean that for example if I want to translate "Carpenter's workshop" (20 chars), that in Spanish would be "Taller de carpinterķa" or "Taller del carpintero" (both 21 char), then I could only write "Taller de carpinterķ" or "Taller del carpinter"?

Other way less convoluted to ask, if a string is 20 chars long, at the moment of translation I need to replace it for exactly for a word(s) 20 chars long? Can't it be more (21), or less (19)?
In the most cases string length doesn't matter (within reason, of course). There are some problematic strings, which length must be the same as in the original, most of them are marked with == at the end of line, some are yet to be discovered.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:22:09 pm by insolor »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »

I seem to be unable to translate the (Start Playing->) Dwarf Fortress option. The included "Dwarf Fortress" when changed to something like "Vault mode" does not produce the desired result.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 12:36:33 am »

Its encrypted, but ask Quietust. He found and uncrypted it, and can change it, its more WTF-text then string dump. ;)

And btw, if you really want to change that, let me know how it went. :)

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:16 am »

I seem to be unable to translate the (Start Playing->) Dwarf Fortress option. The included "Dwarf Fortress" when changed to something like "Vault mode" does not produce the desired result.
The included "Dwarf Fortress" affects only on the window's caption. The text you are searching is encrypted as Meph already said.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:45 am »

Very cool idea. To do this on linux for the linux version: you maybe don't need any extra programs. Sample:

cd df_linux/libs
strings Dwarf_Fortress > stringdump.txt

sed -i 's/Your\ Civilization/Harmless\ Pumpkins/g' Dwarf_Fortress

I am not smart enough to know whether this is an equivalent method. Sorry if that was obvious to everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17