Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress localization patch  (Read 105486 times)

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My projects on the Github
Re: Dwarf Fortress localization patch
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

Oh and @insolor:

I can't seem to add new lines to the "phrases" part. I can replace the contents of the ready ones with other stuff and everything works just fine, but having one more line than default inside phrases{...} makes it spit up an error at startup and not change anything.

Do you need to declare the amount of altered strings somewhere or am I offending Python in some way?
If you mean "Error: Failed to import changetext.py module", this is probably because of syntax errors in the module, eg. missing comma between key:value entries.

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

Does it lead to crashes, like the localisation patcher, if you change the length of certain strings?
It doesn't and it's the first advantage. Strings that are too long are just truncated. The truncation occurs because the width of "plate" on which text is drawn calculates as width of some "wide" letter multiplied by the original text length. (Btw, we get black tails after end of text in the game for non-monotype fonts by the same reason: plates turn way longer than text they contain)
On another hand in most cases patch can make text much longer then Fake_ttf.dll do.

As for me (as a localizer), the main advantage is that SDL_ttf.dll gets text already prepared to output (ei. it gets whole phrases instead of separate words), so that we can affect on the sentence building logic, we can decline words according to genders and cases, etc.

/Never mind if I get confused in phases somewhere, it's still hard to me to communicate in English/

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »

If you mean "Error: Failed to import changetext.py module", this is probably because of syntax errors in the module, eg. missing comma between key:value entries.

That's what it was. Thank you.

btw, is this your way of saying that seperate should be separate? :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:30:59 pm by scamtank »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 04:06:18 pm »

(Btw, we get black tails after end of text in the game for non-monotype fonts by the same reason: plates turn way longer than text they contain)

Does this mean it can fix some of the TTF display errors?

For Example:
"Make magenta bricks from blocks (4)" is so long ingame, that it overwrites the 'R' and 'S', the repeat and suspended letters. But the TTF version is short enough not to block them. Usually, DF would still overwrite the 'R' and 'S', because the Non-TTF version is long enough to overwrite them. But with this new utility of yours it wouldnt be the case anymore?

Hope that was somehow clearer in writing then in my head. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 05:34:23 pm »

Does this mean it can fix some of the TTF display errors?

For Example:
"Make magenta bricks from blocks (4)" is so long ingame, that it overwrites the 'R' and 'S', the repeat and suspended letters. But the TTF version is short enough not to block them. Usually, DF would still overwrite the 'R' and 'S', because the Non-TTF version is long enough to overwrite them. But with this new utility of yours it wouldnt be the case anymore?

Hope that was somehow clearer in writing then in my head. :P
Nope, it cannot. Toady One can. Or some person who can fix the problem inside the game without having source code.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 01:47:45 am »

Oh, ok.  :-[

It would have been a lot of work anyway, not worth the trouble, I just wanted to know if it exists. So when it comes down to it, it doesnt add new features, at least from the stand point of the end user. Regardless of using the first or second utility, the product will stay the same.

EDIT: Actually... string dump replacement sometimes results in hacked together things, because it doesnt have complete sentences, but single words... like "earrring", which has the plural of "earrings". I changed "earring" to "hourglass", and the plural suddenly is "hourglasss", because I cant tell it to add ES instead of S. So this I could fix...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:50:07 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 12:20:59 am »

Super-epic-necro-of-necroness

Because... without this utility updated to be used with DF2014, updating MasterworkDF is pretty difficult. ;)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 02:40:29 am »

It still works, homes. Extract a string dump from the running 34.11 .exe, extract a string dump from the running 40.03 .exe, slap both into a file comparison utility and write the new/changed tags into template.lng.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:14 am »

extract a string dump from the running 40.03 .exe
How?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:36 am »

I used Process Explorer. If you open the Properties on a running process, you can view the plaintext strings inside it and save them to a text file.

It seems the "extraction" is a little messy and sometimes loses letters from the beginnings of sentences, but anything that looks off can be cross-referenced with the original stringdump.txt graciously formatted by Insolor himself and sorted out.

In any case, not a lot got deleted outright, so whatever you have right now should work without destroying everything. Mostly it's the order getting scrambled a bit and a big lump of new stuff going in, particularly the conversation bits.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22:01 am »

Thank you, I will try it out, and if I can, upload a working version for 40.x :)

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:54 am »

Just uploaded string dumps for 0.40.2, 0.40.3 (and 0.34.11 too):
https://bitbucket.org/dfint/df-i18n/downloads
Spoiler: About "IDs" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:06:56 pm by insolor »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 11:41:08 am »

You're too good for us.

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 06:15:00 am »

Btw, are there anybody who tried to translate DF into languages other then Russian and Chinese?
Please, share ;)

Spoiler: OT (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:25:08 am by insolor »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 08:31:26 am »

You didn't exactly foster a golden age of Dwarf Fortress localization, I'm afraid. You just facilitated wonderful changes like "modifiable proc-gen creatures" and "no more walls of text in description screens":

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17