Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What "special" rooms do you have?  (Read 10358 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What "special" rooms do you have?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:15 am »

Sigh. Is there a way other than preventing their sight to the gobbos to stop them from running around in panic? I want them to be able to observe the .. festivities.
They'll only get scared as the goblin falls past them.  Because they can't see through the clear glass floors (although its a nice touch).  They can only see through actual glass windows, which are buildings.

Make the Viewing Area a designated timewasting zone. No task means no "Urist McDwarf cancels task: Saw scary goblin". It's probably a bad idea to make the arena viewable from, say, your fort's major hallway intersection.

So like set a meeting area with no furniture will make that work?  That's cool, although unless stuff dies instantly they won't be able to actually view the death.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

Oh in that case I'll just come up with a design that will have the falling goblins ( well and all the other fortress defense nasties ) behind the scenes, so to speak.

I'll name it Slothen Arena.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:13 pm »

Not really special, but I build an actual cemetery, underground, of course. Rows in individual plots with coffins in them, once all death items are placed inside, I floor over the opening and place a memorialized slab to the dead on top.

It was kind of a last ditch effort, at first, dwarves were still upset over the buried friend, so I put a slab on top and they all got ecstatic. Standard now :p

Edit: oh hey, Slink, you could also make a temple to the deity of balance, just make it symmetrical and build it on top of a single up/down staircase tower :p
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:31:28 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »

Oh in that case I'll just come up with a design that will have the falling goblins ( well and all the other fortress defense nasties ) behind the scenes, so to speak.

I'll name it Slothen Arena.

:D   Since the falling-chute seems to be from a room above the dining room, and going through the center, just place clear glass block walls in the 8 tiles surrounding the falling path.  THen your dwarves won't be interrupted, you don't have to move anything, and you get the benefit/illusion/satisfaction of pretending that they CAN see the goblins as they fall.  Besides, if the falling happens somewhere else, the gobbo won't be strategically positioned right in the middle of the floor beneath the hall.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]