Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thirteen years old child.  (Read 1759 times)

Dov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Thirteen years old child.
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:05 am »

Hello, and first, sorry for my bad english...

I just began a new fortress today and, when the first migrants wave came, i checked them all. Skills, personality, etc, as usual. It was a family, two dwarf and theirs seven children, five boys two girls. Not exaclty the kind of wave that you expect when you start a fortress... So i checked the ages of the children, maybe the olders will grow up in one or two years. But the oldest boy is thirteen year old ! The second older is twelve...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Peter Pan and his friends came into my fortresse \o/

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Thirteen years old child.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:51:53 am »

This is a bug that happens due to two things:  immigrants being drawn from historic population, and nothing happening outside your embark site.  The child was just shy of adulthood when world generation ended.  As you played through your first year, he turned 13, but because nothing happens outside your fortress he couldn't become an adult.  When he immigrated the game properly calculated his age (based on the current year and his date of birth) but still had him marked as a child because it only checks for adulthood on his birthday.  He should turn into a Peasant on his next birthday, whenever that is.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:56:49 am »

Apart from the procrastination-thing, I'd say the first one would make a pretty good doctor.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Dov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:25 pm »

Ok, thank for your answer, i was afraid that they could stay forever as children. Because indeed they have both some nice stat.