Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jeoshua:
Sure there's many ways to get around this by, basically, hacking the game.

But that's not the thing.  Shouldn't the game be more playable out-of-the-box so to speak?  Rather than requiring us to download hacking utilities to not make dwarves jump off a waterfall?

zwei:

--- Quote from: Jeoshua on May 06, 2012, 10:45:22 am ---Sure there's many ways to get around this by, basically, hacking the game.

But that's not the thing.  Shouldn't the game be more playable out-of-the-box so to speak?  Rather than requiring us to download hacking utilities to not make dwarves jump off a waterfall?

--- End quote ---

It definitelly should be playable out of the box.

DFHack and Therapist and other tools should not be used as answer to bugfixes/feature requests. They can be used to remedy situation temporarily, but game should not devolve to state where you wait for tools updated for new version before you can play it.

I suppose ability to remove ramp from above would be fair suggestion as far as ramp-removing is concerned.

slothen:

--- Quote from: zwei on May 06, 2012, 07:45:22 am ---No river ramps within 5-7 tiles of waterfall sound like great fix.

--- End quote ---

This is the only decent idea for a fix.

--- Quote from: CaptApollo12 on May 05, 2012, 02:50:57 am ---

--- Quote from: TigerHunter on May 05, 2012, 01:26:02 am ---Read my post.

I was building a bridge. My mason took a tumble on the way to construct it.

--- End quote ---

You did it wrong then.

--- End quote ---

Sadly, you doing it wrong just means you weren't careful enough about employing a work-around for something that should be automatic.  So while it can be argued that this isn't a huge problem (because it can be worked-around), its still a problem.

GreatWyrmGold:
Since when is building a bridge a workaround? I merely misunderstood the situation and thought that the mason had to cross the river to build the bridge.

slothen:
building a bridge is a workaround because dwarves should know that the area of 1/7 and 2/7 next to the waterfall edge is dangerous terrain.  Currently, it is pathable, which means dwarves can be assigned jobs that involve traveling to the other side of the river, resulting in death.  The player must take certain actions in order to prevent dwarves pathing through those dangerous tiles.  If you accept that those tiles should not be pathable or accessible by default, then any action the player takes is then a workaround for a broken feature.

as for building the bridge correctly, you need to floor off the accessible ramps near the edge first, or use suspended wall constructions to prevent masons from wanting to stand on the other side of the river to construct the bridge, since that will force them to path through the waterfall edge, only once the safe path is constructed will traffic restrictions have any effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version