Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release  (Read 5570 times)

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

I embarked on a waterfall map. The place I wanted to build my entrance was on the other side of the river, so I took the reasonable precaution of designating a restricted traffic zone on and around the top of the waterfall, felling a few trees, and proceeding to build a bridge.

My mason went right over the top of the waterfall. For some reason, after grabbing the first batch of logs, he decided it would be better to walk through the restricted traffic zone and build the bridge from the other side.

I immediately abandoned. Maps with waterfalls and canyons are some of the most interesting, but they're currently unplayable. PLEASE fix this as soon as possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »

Build a bridge.

It's not as easy as you seem to think it is; waterfalls are just places that water periodically flows through. You know what? Lots of forts have places like that. I can easily see a bug from trying to fix this bug where dwarves would refuse to go through their own entrance due to the flooding chamber there. Besides, even noting that water flows through here often would require checks every time water touches something, lowering FPS, and it'd take time out of Toady's schedule. Like many things, it should be fixed eventually, but there's more important stuff to do--especially since the "workaround" (building a bridge) is simple and intuitive.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »

I think the problem is that dwarfs chose the fastest rout and ignore the fact that a zone is restricted.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:45:36 am by UHaulDwarf »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:40 am »

First block passage across the fall to prevent crossings. THEN build the bridge.

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:26:02 am »

Build a bridge.
Read my post.

I was building a bridge. My mason took a tumble on the way to construct it.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:50:57 am »

Read my post.

You did it wrong then. I would try designating suspended walls on the opposite side of where you want your dwarves to build. Though I have not played in a while that is the first thing that comes to mind.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:53 pm »

Build a bridge.
Read my post.

Why would the mason need to cross the river to build the bridge in the first place? Make sure all of the materials are on the same side of the river as your mason.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »

I think it has more to do with the tendancy for dwarves to build on the top and left of a structure. But designating a wall to be built and the suspending it will make the dwarf use whatever space is clear to build the bridge. And yes use materials that will not require your dwarfs to cross the river.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »

Ah...My bad.
Sig

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »

Will a dwarf build from a suspended construction tile if it is the only access to the construction?

It may be important to leave the last tile of bridge undesignated until the rest of the bridge is built so that there is a safe place to stand.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »

Yes.
Depends on if a bunch of floor tiles or an actual bridge is being constructed. I'm not sure which it is here.
Sig

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:45:22 am »

Well, workarounds exist. Yay.

But they are workarounds for incredibly suicidal AI combined with dangerous terrain. We should be talking fixes.

No river ramps within 5-7 tiles of waterfall sound like great fix.

Ability to set "do not EVER EVER EVER enter" zone that would be removed from pathing would be also fair solution.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 07:58:03 am »

The first part seems sensible but...I dunno, unrealistic?
The second makes more sense, but I think it would lead to problems like how pets bump their heads againts pet-impassable doors and stuff.
Sig

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:54 am »

Ability to set "do not EVER EVER EVER enter" zone

Like an anti-burrow option, it seems.  An area Dwarves are not to ever go under any circumstances.  Path-finding wise it is a wall.

I can think of many uses for this:

• Directing mining/building operations
  • Protecting dwarves from wandering into caverns
  • Making industrial accidents less likely
  • Making trap rooms safer
  • etc

A very simple idea which could be used in many different ways.
Fundimentally, the "waterfall bug" isn't really a waterfall bug at all, but a generic problem that Dwarves have with building things which are near to dangerous terrains.  Or really, building anything at all.  They will wall themselves in, teleport themselves on top of walls, and hop into deep treacherous waters to get to the square they think they must build on.  Ever tried to disassemble a floor that's constructed over a pit?  They can actually take the tile right out from beneath their feet.

A Forbidden Zone option would allow a smart player to overcome that easilly.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:07 am »

Use a 3rd party utility to remove the ramps.
Pages: [1] 2