Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release  (Read 5568 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE fix the waterfall bug in the next release
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:22 am »

Sure there's many ways to get around this by, basically, hacking the game.

But that's not the thing.  Shouldn't the game be more playable out-of-the-box so to speak?  Rather than requiring us to download hacking utilities to not make dwarves jump off a waterfall?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »

Sure there's many ways to get around this by, basically, hacking the game.

But that's not the thing.  Shouldn't the game be more playable out-of-the-box so to speak?  Rather than requiring us to download hacking utilities to not make dwarves jump off a waterfall?

It definitelly should be playable out of the box.

DFHack and Therapist and other tools should not be used as answer to bugfixes/feature requests. They can be used to remedy situation temporarily, but game should not devolve to state where you wait for tools updated for new version before you can play it.

I suppose ability to remove ramp from above would be fair suggestion as far as ramp-removing is concerned.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:29 pm »

No river ramps within 5-7 tiles of waterfall sound like great fix.

This is the only decent idea for a fix.

Read my post.

I was building a bridge. My mason took a tumble on the way to construct it.

You did it wrong then.

Sadly, you doing it wrong just means you weren't careful enough about employing a work-around for something that should be automatic.  So while it can be argued that this isn't a huge problem (because it can be worked-around), its still a problem.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »

Since when is building a bridge a workaround? I merely misunderstood the situation and thought that the mason had to cross the river to build the bridge.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:37 am »

building a bridge is a workaround because dwarves should know that the area of 1/7 and 2/7 next to the waterfall edge is dangerous terrain.  Currently, it is pathable, which means dwarves can be assigned jobs that involve traveling to the other side of the river, resulting in death.  The player must take certain actions in order to prevent dwarves pathing through those dangerous tiles.  If you accept that those tiles should not be pathable or accessible by default, then any action the player takes is then a workaround for a broken feature.

as for building the bridge correctly, you need to floor off the accessible ramps near the edge first, or use suspended wall constructions to prevent masons from wanting to stand on the other side of the river to construct the bridge, since that will force them to path through the waterfall edge, only once the safe path is constructed will traffic restrictions have any effect.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »

Did you only set Restricted OVER the water, or also IN the water?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

Did you only set Restricted OVER the water, or also IN the water?

as has been said a million times, traffic designations have no impact on what job a dwarf takes or where he decides to stand to do that job.  If the bridge was incomplete, they will take the only path there (through the water) to do their job, and ignore traffic restrictions.
Thoughts on water

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

I always build a bridge over the river, even if there isn't a waterfall. Or else, I dig an inverted bridge under the water. It doesn't seem as much like a workaround as something that a bug makes more neccesary.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]