Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another windmill question..  (Read 1260 times)

chickenbaconranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another windmill question..
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:58 am »

Hi guys, its 3am and i need some help with a windmill

I need it to transfer power 3 or 4 z-levels down to my screw pump. I have about 40 units of power from my windmill, and it transfers to the vertical axle i have below it. My problem is that it doesnt transfer to the vertical axles below that first vertical axle i have beneath the windmill. What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Sincerely,
          A delicious Subway sandwich

chickenbaconranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another windmill question..
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:58 am »

Heres a picture as well

W   <-- Windmill
||   <-- Powered Vertical Axle
||   <-- Unpowered Vertical Axle
||   <-- Unpowered Vertical Axle
SP   <-- Unpowered Screwpump

Stressed Chef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:16 am »

Have you channeled out the floors all the way down to your pump?

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:32 am »

I do it that way:

W
gear
||
||
||
gear == pump

You do not need to channel from the windmill to the gear, but you need a full channelled path down to below.

My channeled ways down usually are 3x3 digged out shafts where the middle one is channeled out. Made one by one, not that one of the worthy stupid miners falls down to death, as it happens often.

XXX
XOS  (O = channel / S = Stair)
XXX
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:22:15 am »

noone ever falls out of a channel unless you designate the bottom tile for digging and some sob gets there before your channeler has let himself out.

hOI   channel, wall/not designated, up/down stair
hOI
hOI
hOI
Odu    un-designated wall that will get a ramp channeled into it, dug-out tile, up-stair

if you mess up your build-order or need a feature later, the worst that can happen is that you have to dig one extra tile to the side, then channel and build temp stairing to get your guy out. if instead of doing that you want to break his legs, cool.

chickenbaconranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »

Well I've tried to channel before but then i cant build an axle on it, says blocked or needs floor

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »

Well I've tried to channel before but then i cant build an axle on it, says blocked or needs floor

Right, you need to have your gear assembly or a length of vertical axle in place above it before you can build the axle down from thetop , or build a mechanism next to the pump and build the axle up from the bottom . There must be uninterrupted open space containing some combination of axles and mechanisms running from the windmill down to where power is needed.

chickenbaconranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:31 pm »

Ahhhhhh yes, that makes complete sense, its working now! ( big duh on my part, i knew it was something simple i was missing )

Thanks DFers!