Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are your real-life dwarven skills?  (Read 11559 times)

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
Re: What are your real-life dwarven skills?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:49 am »

master animal trainer/ caretaker= i work at flamingo land zoo in england looking after some rare species, inc. rhinos, vicuna and others. also taming down some unfriendly oryxes to get abit more used to human contact so they wont spazz out as much

adept fighter: 3rd dan in taekwondo

??? cook: i can make pies? i dont know where that would put me
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 04:36:44 am »

Legendary Liar
You probably should've put legendary everything up there first :P

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 04:47:03 am »

I can play guitar but dorfs dont play guitar ;( it would be probably Adequate Guitar Player, though.
Dabbling Swimmer (Rusty) - I used to swim but now i dont have where to go swim except in bathtub....
Novice Crossbowman/Archer/Bowman - Im quite good at shooting with bows, and weapons.
Dabbling Cook
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 05:38:24 am »

Novice engraver: I kinda draw well.
Adequate strategist: Total war series, really I've lost only about 70 matches of 500 played.
Novice mechanic: I used to unassemble appliances and other stuff when I was a kid to make other machines. (I used to make traps out of random objects too.)
Novice wrestler (Rusty) : Blue judo belt.
Competent swimmer (Very rusty) : I can hold my breath for several minutes and swim moderately fast.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 06:06:13 am »

- Novice Swordsman - I am in historical reconstruction group (West Slavs, 10th/11th century - HRG are very popular in my country), so, some basic skills in fight are necessary.
- Novice Shield User  - See above
- Novice Fighter - See above
- Dabbling Wrestler - Orange judo belt

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

novice miner (rusty) - ive dug holes too!
adequate animal trainer - I has a dog!
novice swimmer (rusty) - been a while since i last swam
adequate carpenter (rusty) - did quite a bit of carpentry in school
novice metalsmith (rusty) - also metalsmithing in school
dabbling swordsdwarf (rusty) - i had a toy sword and shield when i was a kid.
dabbling shield user (rusty) - see above
novice bowman - same as above, and my brother also has a compound bow
skilled student - well... 14 years of school, yet only skilled student, but still a few years ahead
novice woodcutter - Since im from Finland, this is almost standard
dabbling dodger - after a night at local club, one guy tried to randomly punch me, while i was waiting for my friends outside.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:14 am »

Competent farmer:  I've been commissioned for farming several times.
Novice miner:  I've dug lots of holes at home.
Adequate hunter:  Animals fear me.
Competent butcher:  Dead animals fear me more.
Dabbling bowman:  I know which end does the shooting and how to operate a bow, just don't ask me to hit anything without a lot of spare arrows lol.  (more of a rifleman then a bowman.)
Novice swimmer:  I can swim, and I like swimming, but nothing professional.
Novice cook:  Comes in handy after you butcher the animals the shot.
Novice mason:  I do stone work around the house/property making walls and floors.
Expert musician:  I've been playing the violin for close to 8 (or 9) years now, and I play in an Orchestra.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 08:17:58 am »

Using the descriptions from DT:

Dabbling Carpentry (Rusty) - Helped build a deck, a rabbit barn, and a storage shed.
Dabbling Wood Cutting (Rusty) - Helped take down trees and stack the resulting firewood.
Dabbling Masonary - Retaining walls.
Dabbling Animal Training (Rusty) - At least they were housebroken.  Mostly.
Novice Animal Care - Tropical fish for forty years, both saltwater and freshwater.  Cats, dogs, cage birds, various rodents and reptiles, and domestic rabbits for food.
Dabbling Hunting (Rusty) - Rifle or shotgun, depending on the prey and the location.
Dabbling Dressing Wounds - Also stitch removal.
Novice Butchery (Rusty) - Kept rabbits for food, also hunted pheasants, squirrels, and deer.  Converted these to food.
Dabbling Tanning (Rusty) - Would you care for some tanned hides with holes in them?  No?  Neither did I.
Novice Farming - Vegetables, also some ornamentals.
Dabbling Dyeing (Very Rusty) - Mostly with Rit, but did experiment just a little with natural products.
Novice Milling - Grind grain to flour every day.
Novice Brewing - Beer, wine, mead.
Dabbling Plant Gathering - Fruits and berries.
Dabbling Plant Processing - Jams and jellies.
Dabbling Cheese Making - Kefir and quark.
Novice Cooking - Every day, including one loaf of sourdough whole grain bread every five days.
Dabbling Fishing (Rusty) - Catfish preferred, bluegill and black crappie acceptable.
Dabbling Fish Cleaning (Rusty) - Converted fish into food.
Dabbling Gem Setting (Extremely Rusty) - Helped mother make custom jewelry for sale as a hobby.
Dabbling Weaving (Extemely Rusty) - Wove some placemats on mother's loom.  Also hand-carded some wool.  Oh, and some macrame and crochet.
Dabbling Clothesmaking (Extremely Rusty) - Made some dresses for my nieces, and a few items for myself.
Dabbling Pottery (Extremely Rusty) - Ceramics, actually.  Poured them in my aunt's molds and fired them in my aunt's kiln.
Dabbling Glazing (Extremely Rusty) - With above.
Dabbling Wax Working (Extremely Rusty) - Made candles in milk cartons with ice cubes, and also made sand candles.
Talented Mechanics - Household plumbing & wiring.  Computer work done for hire, both hardware and programming, for multiple employers.
Dabbling Hauling - I do my share.
Dabbling Architecture (Rusty) - Designed a 14' x 72' elevated deck, two rabbit barns, and a storage shed.
Professional Alchemy (Rusty) - It was my chosen profession.
Dabbling Cleaning (Very Rusty) - Actually I do clean the house a little more often than that, but you couldn't tell by looking at it.  *laugh*
Talented Student (Rusty) - What I did for the first 28 years of my life.  I still learn, but the scholarships stopped a long time ago.
Adequate Teacher (Rusty) - College level, some tutoring at college and high school level, and once a high school substitute.
Adequate Recordkeeper (Rusty) - Aside from recording things in lab books and maintenance logs, I also did the book-keeping for a family business.
Dabbling Swordswoman (Extremely Rusty) - Took fencing in college.  Liked practice but hated tournament rules.
Dabbling Archer (Extremely Rusty) - Took archery college, owned own bow as child.  Not very good at it.  Anatomy in way.  *smirk*
Dabbling Thrower? (Very Rusty) - Took bowling in college.  Moderately good at it.
Novice Markswoman (Very Rusty) - Shot skeet and trap with 12-gauge, and did some pistol and rifle range shooting (mostly .22, some .243).
Dabbling Hammerwoman (Rusty) - Played golf twice weekly for a couple of years.  Decent at it.

Edit: Upgraded mechanics level since people seem to be including computer skills there, added military, and added commentary.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:50:11 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:03 am »

Novice armor smith. I make chainmaille as a hobby, never really sold any and it certainly isn't my job

Do you have any pictures of your armor?  Crafting stuff like that fascinates me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:13 am »

Novice Carpenter - I have made a few pieces of custom furniture out of wood.  Nothing terribly high quality however, more practical than anything else.
Novice Mason (Very Rusty) - When I was quite young, my parents bought a large and quite old house.  They then spent years rebuilding it room by room.  Like any dwarven child, I helped knock down walls where required, and did a little bit of construction alongside them.  Not very much, and I haven't done it in a long time.
Novice Animal Caretaker - I have kept pets of various types, and have helped my wife treat tangles, hair rings, and other minor medical problems with her pet chinchillas.
Competent Cook - I do most of the cooking in the household.  I am also frequently asked to cook for parties and potlucks, to the point of having people specifically request dishes I've become known for.
Dabbling Butcher - I can buy a turkey or other bird from the store, skin and debone it, but I've never tried to clean something that still had all the organs and such in it.
Novice Fish Creaner - Sometimes I buy whole uncleaned fish from the market and clean them myself at home.
Novice Fisherdwarf (Rusty) - My parents used to take me fishing, but I haven't done it in a long time.
Dabbling Armorsmith (Rusty) - I have helped my friends in the SCA make armor at their shop.  Not recently, and not to the point I'd be able to make much on my own.  Did help make a suit of chainmail while in college.
Adequate Metal Crafter - I have used that SCA armor shop, as well as the machine shop at work, to make metal parts for robotics and art projects of my own.
Competent Mechanic (Rusty) - I used to work in an industrial engineering position where I helped rebuild and upgrade various pieces of industrial machinery.  More recently I've been limited to rebuilding servomotors and such for my own robotics projects, but I have helped rebuild and repair some of the assembly machines at work.
Novice Swimmer - I can go into water over my head and not drown, which put me ahead of most dwarves.
Dabbling Building Designer - My wife and I have done a little bit of remodeling around the condo, which has involved taking measurements and making CAD architectural drawings to figure out where things can fit and what we can modify or move.
Adequate Conversationalist
Novice Comedian
Novice Flatterer
Novice Judge of Intent
Adequate Liar
Novice Negotiator
Adequate Persuader
Novice Consoler - These can all be summed up by being married and having a social life
Adequate Reader - which also puts me ahead of most dwarves
Novice Writer
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

Dabbling Carpenter- in production engineering we make use of a workshop, and we've been making wooden spatulas.
Novice Student - School will make learning stuff generally easier.
Novice Bookkeeper - I am in accelerated Algerbra, but I sometimes rely on my calculator
Dabbling Writer - Writing journals and forum/chatroom roleplaying.
Novice Reader - I like reading novels.
Dabbling plant gatherer - Weeding the yard.
Dabbling Cook - I'm not completely helpless when it comes to food,  but I doubt there are microwaves in a medieval setting...

Preferences:

A child does as it pleases! (13)
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

You know, I don't think I really have any of the skills on the list there. It's not that I'm completely incapable; it's just that all of my skills are so focused on the modern age. Science, computers, medicine... and not even the patient-related parts of medicine, but the theoretical stuff you learn in the lab. And I don't socialize enough to really even consider myself Dabbling in those areas.

If you added reading and writing, I'm an Accomplished Reader and Accomplished Writer (I've had some national exposure for my autism rights blog). But... beyond that, really not much...

Oh. Record Keeper. Professional. Done that for several years at work--keeping records, doing statistics, crunching the numbers for a bunch of biologists who can maintain cell cultures in their sleep but are still a bit uncomfortable with anything involving too many numbers. Got a few awards for it, too; it's kind of funny how scientists get so specialized that even an undergrad can pull together enough information from divergent fields to look impressive, when really all I'm doing is applying engineering to biology or physics to psychology or philosophy to information science. I've got my eye on some interdisciplinary graduate programs. I so hate to specialize on only one thing!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:25:13 pm by Callista »

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

Novice Fighter - four years of karate, currently at 5th kyu.
Dabbling Archer (Rusty) - did shooting back when I was in Scouts, but that was a while ago.
Novice Swimmer - reached pre-competition level. Haven't done it properly yet, but if I did, I'd be proficient.
Novice Record Keeper - I sometimes do accounting for my school.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »

Is it really fair to limit skills to novice if not done competatively/professionally?  Some amatures can be very skilled, and entering a competition doesn't magically make you better.

Still, sticking with the original rules:

Dabbling carpenter - I can cut up planks, nail/screw them together, attach hinges, etc, and recently re-laid my bathroom floor.
Novice cook - I normally cook my own food.
Dabbling grower - I grow vegetables in my back yard.
Dabbling wood burner - I burn wood in my stove.  (I also use the ash as fertilizer, but don't bother converting it into potash).
Dabbling metal crafter (very rusty)  - Did a bit years ago in craft lessons at school.
Dabbling potter (very rusty), glazier (very rusty), wood crafter (very rusty) - ditto.
Dabbling mechanic - I can do very basic thngs like dismantle/reassemble machines, and do basic repairs.
Novice alchemist (very rusty) - A-level chemistry - 15 years ago.
Adequate organizer & Adequate record keeper  -form-filling and planning at work.
Dabbling bowman (very rusty) - did a few archery lessons years ago.
Dabbling swordsman (very rusty) - ditto for fencing.
Dabbling shield user+armour user (very rusty) - also used to play at knights with one of my school friends, using swords, shields and armour we made out of wood.
Novice marksdwarf - member of a rifle club
Novice fighter - 2nd dan blackbelt in a martial art that doesn't do competitions.
Novice swimmer (rusty) - been some time since I last went swimming (but I can swim over a mile even when I haven't swum for years previously).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 02:46:33 pm »

Novice fisher (notmuch to see here i sometimes go fishing in my mates boat.)
Proficient crossbowman (go hunting regular and hit the game most if not all of he time)
Great swordsman (i train a lot in with my Claymore and have entered some competitions even came second in one of them :D)
Adequate woodcutter (i usually go hunting for multiple days so i cut down saplings and stuff to make shelters.)
Adequate Bowyer (i designed and built a crossbow which came out nicely and am working on a higher powered one at the moment.)
Adequate Animal Trainer (i caught and trained a wild dog puppy which i now use to help me hunt fowl.)

i set crossbow to proficient because i don't think there are many professional crossbow shooters, and no competitions near to where I live.
if that goes against the rules then i guess Novice Crossbowman
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:50:12 pm by BeserkNINJA »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4