Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the mining drop rate changes?

I really like the new system.
- 127 (35%)
Better than before, but more needs to be done.
- 93 (25.6%)
It doesn't make a difference to me.
- 41 (11.3%)
The changes don't really address my issues.
- 6 (1.7%)
I don't like it at all.
- 35 (9.6%)
I have mixed feelings on the matter.
- 61 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 362

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?  (Read 59429 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:22 pm »

So, in case you haven't been watching the devlog, the rate at which boulders drop from mining is no longer skill-based.

Now, rocks drop at a flat ~25%, gems 100%.

However, blocks now come multiple to a boulder so if you're using the stone for construction the effective drop rate will be closer to ~100%.

And if you aren't, this means up to 75% less microline to atomize.

Bars also come multiple to an ore now, so that's ~100% drop now too.

So then, the end of avoiding mineral veins until one has a legendary miner is nigh, everything's effective drop rate's gone up, and there's less micromanaging the miners.  Seems like a complete win to me, but at least one person said they'd think it'd be tedious to have to mine 4x more for the same number of boulders, so here's a poll for it!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:41:59 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:27 pm »

My god, finally! I no longer must rip off the beards of my miners when they waste a entire vein of valuable, valuable silver!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:46:01 pm »

I haven't actually played it yet so I can't really form an opinion, but for now I'll say I don't mind.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »

My god, finally! I no longer must rip off the beards of my miners when they waste a entire vein of valuable, valuable silver!
I htink THIS is going to echo about 90% of the statements in this thread.

Really that is what htis boils down to, no longer having to worry about  forcing legendary dwarves to mind gold silver and platinum.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »

well the previous way of skill level affecting drop rate was simply a hindrance that didn't add anything, so the new way seems far superior.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure it will really affect me, it may even slightly help.

When I embark in Terrifying biomes, I eventually run out of stone, and I'm waiting on an un-skilled miner to make more stone.
Does a Dabbling/Novice miner drop stone less than 25% of the time ? If so, then it's an improvement for me.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:15 pm »

I was gonna be grumpy but now that ore yields multiple boulders, everything's lovely~
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »

I was gonna be grumpy but now that ore yields multiple boulders, everything's lovely~
Actually, I think Toady said it was multiple bars per ore.  And then again, there's no guarantee that it's 4 bars per ore, it could be 3 or something.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »

However, blocks now come multiple to a boulder so if you're using the stone for construction the effective drop rate will be closer to ~100%.

Might I ask where you read this? All I saw Toady mention was bars of metal from ore, and nothing about blocks of stone from boulders.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm blind, or retarded, or both.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:43:01 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »

Does the amount of available stone lower FPS? I noticed it takes longer and longer to list my stone in the stocks screen, so I've been assuming it does. If so, the drop rate change will be a big plus for me. I have never needed all the boulders for building.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »

1. Save on hauling stone of out your excavations
2. 1/4 of the stone listed on the stock screen
3. Need less smelting jobs to get the same amount of ore.

Sounds good so far.

How will this affect adamantine and slade?

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »

This will be very good for me if - and only if - we have about the same amount of raw material per tile mined, for construction at least. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like making huge aboveground constructions, which take large amounts of stone. I almost never actually get enough stone from mining out the necessary rooms and such, especially when I want my dwarves to end up living in whatever it is I build. Plus, the stone needed to floor any drains I build (to prevent trees from cluttering it up) takes another large chunk for any of my water-based projects. If boulders now yield multiple sets of blocks, then there won't be any real problem. Even if it isn't quite enough to offset the lower drop rate, It won't be a big problem. But it the total yield drops by more than a third or so it will be a big problem for me. Then again, if there are four blocks per boulder, there is the curious circumstance that a single boulder will yield either four walls or a scant three mugs...

As for ores, I think Toady said straight out somewhere that metalworking will, on the whole, not be overly affected. Apart from a slight improvement in efficiency, since ores for smelting will effectively be transported up to four at a time.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »

construction wont be affected if you use blocks, i saw that myself over in FotF i believe.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:13:22 am »

That suggests a pretty simple model for constructing things then... Cart all the rocks off to a central depot, with a bunch of mason workshops and a bunch of dedicated block-carvers, and then cart them over to wherever the construction is.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 12:40:10 am »

well, that actually is rather nice tbh, the change to block making may have a major effect on building projects.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15