Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the mining drop rate changes?

I really like the new system.
- 127 (35%)
Better than before, but more needs to be done.
- 93 (25.6%)
It doesn't make a difference to me.
- 41 (11.3%)
The changes don't really address my issues.
- 6 (1.7%)
I don't like it at all.
- 35 (9.6%)
I have mixed feelings on the matter.
- 61 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 362

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?  (Read 58984 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »

Still isn't enough to smelt though.  Besides, I don't see anything that would make it more valuable than, say, pyhrite at this point.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2012, 09:35:05 pm »

I don't mind the change as far as digging stone, or even building walls. And while being able to make four walls or one chair out of the same hunk of rock might be annoying, the dwarf doing this could also be wearing a leather cloak made from the hide of one cat, while wearing a leather cap that consumed an entire elephant hide to create. Making chairs/tables/slabs/etc will be a bigger resource sink, but past year 2 or so I think most of us will be contently stockpiled with stone, rather then drowning in it as before.

The problem with a flat drop rate is that digging out a 10 by 10 hunk of marble and getting between 20 and 30 stones isn't a big deal but carefully digging out the few safe squares of candy on the edge of a tube and getting nothing is going to want to make me execute the miner way more then having an untrained fool waste a vein of silver ever did.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

@topictitle
Eh, I don't mind.

Then again, I tend to mod in rock-creation and destruction reactions, so yeah.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »

The problem with a flat drop rate is that digging out a 10 by 10 hunk of marble and getting between 20 and 30 stones isn't a big deal but carefully digging out the few safe squares of candy on the edge of a tube and getting nothing is going to want to make me execute the miner way more then having an untrained fool waste a vein of silver ever did.
That metal is currently 100% drop, specifically because of this.

It could possibly end up being all clusters instead of all gem clusters that end up 100%.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »

Last I checked deep metal was a guaranteed 100% drop, and I doubt that changed unless Toady forgot something.  All gems now drop 100% too, which I think is nice.

If anything though, 100% drop rates will be by tag as apposed to by cluster size, because I don't think the game remembers cluster associations after worldgen.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2012, 11:14:20 am »

I believe gems always dropped at 100%

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding the complains in this thread, tbh. The new fort I started in 0.34.08 is extremely resource rich. Especially when combined with the hauling changes, my metal and stone industries are running faster and more productively than ever, and I no longer need to keep about half my fortress employed as haulers on endless garbage dumping duty.

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but from what I can see in my game, platinum is a 100% drop.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »

Last I checked deep metal was a guaranteed 100% drop, and I doubt that changed unless Toady forgot something.  All gems now drop 100% too, which I think is nice.

If anything though, 100% drop rates will be by tag as apposed to by cluster size, because I don't think the game remembers cluster associations after worldgen.

I verified that adamantine also still produces a single metal thread, not 4

Starne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

I'm okay with the change, but I think more could be done.

These are Dwarves we're talking about, the main things they have in abundance are  foolishness, greed, enemies, stone, and metal.

Were it up to me, I'd increase the flat drop rate of stone by about 10-20%, and I'd increase the drop rate of ores dramatically, to something like 75-80%. I'd leave the "1 Ore Chunk=4 Bars" rule in effect, though. The idea being to make metalworking very lucrative and making the export of metal products into the staple go-to when it comes to trade.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I'd also make it possible to make crafts, furniture and stuff out of blocks. I'd also rename wood blocks to wood planks, with one log=3 planks(Products made of planks would be worth more than products made of logs). Making logs into planks manually(IE at a carpenter's workshop) would be time consuming, with some kind of powered Sawmill workshop being much more efficient. I know that a powered sawmill might be a bit out of our time-frame, but I could easily see Dwarves rigging up some kind of mechanical saw-thing powered by a water wheel. The exception to this would be the 'odd' woods such as bamboo and saguaro.

The general idea behind all of this being that the more effort and Dwarf-hours you put into your production chains, the more you get out of your resources. Miner->Mason->Stone Products or Woodcutter->Carpenter-Wood Products would still be viable, but with Miner->Mason->Mason->Stone Products and Woodcutter->Sawmill->Carpenter->Wood Products being more resource efficient. With the metalworking industries being the most productive and lucrative(Miner->Smelter->Smith->Lots of Shiny things).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:14:28 pm by Starne »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2012, 01:18:38 pm »

These are Dwarves we're talking about, the main things they have in abundance are  foolishness, greed, enemies, stone, and metal.

Were it up to me, I'd increase the flat drop rate of stone by about 10-20%, and I'd increase the drop rate of ores dramatically, to something like 75-80%. I'd leave the "1 Ore Chunk=4 Bars" rule in effect, though. The idea being to make metalworking very lucrative and making the export of metal products into the staple go-to when it comes to trade.

So you're saying...

"We always have more metal ore than we can do anything with," but also saying, "We should have three times as much metal ore as we already get."

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning, here.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2012, 01:32:56 pm »

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding the complains in this thread, tbh. The new fort I started in 0.34.08 is extremely resource rich. Especially when combined with the hauling changes, my metal and stone industries are running faster and more productively than ever, and I no longer need to keep about half my fortress employed as haulers on endless garbage dumping duty.
I'm pretty sure a decent amount of people were complaining about rare minerals being screwed over. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with common minerals and large clusters and veins having this change, as they'll likely not feel much, but rare small clusters and single tile ores have basically become a game of chance. Both because there's a significant chance of getting nothing, and the mode result is 1 metal less.

Yes, there's a chance to get so much more, but the majority of times, you'll get less than you did in previous versions.

The dividing point between the two sides is on that point above. Those who are against, like me, cannot accept this trade-off. Those for it can. It would take a serious effort to convince either side otherwise in my opinion.

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but from what I can see in my game, platinum is a 100% drop.
Can anyone confirm this?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:38:04 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Starne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2012, 01:55:33 pm »

So you're saying...

"We always have more metal ore than we can do anything with," but also saying, "We should have three times as much metal ore as we already get."

Export (lots of)iron bolts to the Goblins and Elves, steel stuff to the Humans, precious metals and steel to the mountain homes.  Later on, a steady stream of metal products going out to the sprawl around the fortress, equipment for the armies you're sending out, and tribute to the king. Stuff for the fortress itself to upgrade the trap system and to repair and replace all those damaged, broken, and worn-out things. Knick-knacks for your Dwarves when the economy returns. You also can't forget a steady trickle of gold, silver, and platinum for your hoard(Gotta draw those throngs of Goblins, Kobolds, Dragons, Giants and everything else in somehow).

Several ways to use metals in the game now, and even more later.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2012, 02:29:14 pm »

Might I also propose booze and machines :)

dwarves = gnomes in my opinion
Games like WOW and DnD-Eberron portray dwarves as kinda mechanical, which is a nice contrast to magical elves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »

So you're saying...

Export (lots of)iron bolts to the Goblins and Elves, steel stuff to the Humans, precious metals and steel to the mountain homes.  Later on, a steady stream of metal products going out to the sprawl around the fortress, equipment for the armies you're sending out, and tribute to the king. Stuff for the fortress itself to upgrade the trap system and to repair and replace all those damaged, broken, and worn-out things. Knick-knacks for your Dwarves when the economy returns. You also can't forget a steady trickle of gold, silver, and platinum for your hoard(Gotta draw those throngs of Goblins, Kobolds, Dragons, Giants and everything else in somehow).

Several ways to use metals in the game now, and even more later.

The fact that there's an argument for platinum to be removed from the game entirely aside...

That's not really an argument for metal being more common. 

In fact, if you want metal to be terribly useful and valuable, it should be less common, because if it's supposed to be valuable, you shouldn't "always have more metal than you can use", you should "always need more". 

If anything, this is an argument for 5% or 10% ore drop rates.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »

If you want more metal, change the mineral frequency in worldgen options, or do some creative modding.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2012, 02:04:18 am »

I don't much care for the nonskill based drop rates. I seem to be cursed with poor rates for ores, while I have almost no use for gems, which seem to be, for alot of gems, nearly worthless. And now mining is just another speed thing, it's like a miller or fish cleaner now with the barely useful benefit of using a pick as a weapon, which doesn't negate bad thoughts.

Besides, without masses of stone cluttering the hell out of the place, it's just.... I honestly can't think of anything other than it doesn't feel right. Flux is ruined rutinly, ores lost, which when trying to actually equip soldiers with more than fancy shoes helmets and shields is bad. My first one using this system, and my miners ruined more ore than they extracted, and I was left with on average enough metal to equiup maybe two soldiers at a time, if that. If nothing else, a higher rate for ores would be nicer. I can't really find a use for gems unless I stick an ass load onto a few thing to increase the value.

I will admit I like the blocks being more economical now. But as with ores, flux gets ruined now, and I have 3 or 4x as much wasted space because I had to needlessly mine that out with legendary miners just to get what i needed for a few steel spears and swords.

I know my opinion is obviously quite overwhelmingly crushed based on the vote, and the realism is improved, but this is one bit of realism I could do without. Hell it kinda makes minecarts outside of trading and improvised weapons a bit moot since we needed the damn things to move the mountains of stone around more than anything. That's just my take on things. No need to point out the holes in my logic or whatever, as I know some people may do anyway.

tl;dr version
Wtf, are miners relegated to sightly less useless fish cleaners now?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15