Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the mining drop rate changes?

I really like the new system.
- 127 (35%)
Better than before, but more needs to be done.
- 93 (25.6%)
It doesn't make a difference to me.
- 41 (11.3%)
The changes don't really address my issues.
- 6 (1.7%)
I don't like it at all.
- 35 (9.6%)
I have mixed feelings on the matter.
- 61 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 362

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?  (Read 58988 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »

You know constructions can use blocks right? As in, you get the same building materials you got before. Because blocks now produce four to the boulder.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:29 pm »

One thing I've noticed, if you embark with nothing but a little food and the supplies for a metal industry on the wagon, you can have two guys in steel equipment using just what you brought with you. Before you'd have had to have used bronze to get a reasonable amount of metal for the standard number of embark points.
It's good, isn't it? If you spend all your points on bronzemaking supplies, you can have a Legendary +5 Armoursmith before the first caravan leaves. And that's without melting down older pieces to reclaim metal for another dwarf to use in their training.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »

The new system is really ticking me off. Who mines valuable ores with anything but legendary miners? Instead of mining a whole vein of lignite and getting every last stone out of it, now I'm only getting a fourth of what I normally mine. I NEED THAT LIGNITE!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

1 / 4 * 5 = 1.25

You'd have to be significantly unlucky to get less lignite now than you would have before.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

Where are you getting that statistic, exactly? Because I'm definitely getting less lignite now than before.

When I was playing 34.7, I was managing to get almost all of the valuable ores out of veins whenever I mined with my miners minus maybe one or two stones. I updated to 34.11 and now I'm only getting a fourth of that. My metal and clay manufacturing industries have ground to a freaking halt.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2012, 06:12:18 pm »

1 / 4 * 5 = 1.25

You'd have to be significantly unlucky to get less lignite now than you would have before.

The RNG always gives you snake eyes.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »

Where are you getting that statistic, exactly? Because I'm definitely getting less lignite now than before.

When I was playing 34.7, I was managing to get almost all of the valuable ores out of veins whenever I mined with my miners minus maybe one or two stones. I updated to 34.11 and now I'm only getting a fourth of that. My metal and clay manufacturing industries have ground to a freaking halt.

Try turning the lignite into coke and see how many bars you get per unit of lignite.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »

Actually, never mind, that figure is bollocks. You do get less fuel from a lignite vein now, because the new return rate on one lump of lignite is less than 4x the old rate. It should be 1.25 vs 2, not 1.25 vs 1.

Bituminous coal also returns less fuel now, 2.25 (average) units of fuel per vein tile and not 3 (always).

Try and get a civ with coal access, and cram the wagon I guess.

Edit: the above is for magma smelting. Regular smelters aren't hit as hard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:33:52 pm by Sutremaine »

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »

The thing that bothers me most about the new system is flux stone.  My limestone mines are larger than my fortress, just to support a steel industry.  It seems odd that equipping an army should require a small hill's worth of carbonate rock.  I'm thinking I should just change the reaction raws, because this is ridiculous.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

traxzilla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:26 am »

Crafts train stonecrafting, not masonry. Metal crafts can easily susbstitude stone ones, especially if you just make a few high-quality gold ones (like it's good for anything else). The rest are totally valid though. Mechanisms and the like will need tweaking to make multiple from one boulder (I mean, it's meant to be about 10 metres cubed? You would have to be pretty inefficient to make ONE chair from that.).

Yeah, I didn't really read what I wrote before I hit submit, oops.

Stone fall traps are moderately more effective with boulders being larger and/or denser now.

I wasn't sure if it actually calculated that. Does that mean denser stone does more damage? Is it worth keeping a stockpile of say, chert near my traps?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »

Stone fall traps are moderately more effective with boulders being larger and/or denser now.
I wasn't sure if it actually calculated that. Does that mean denser stone does more damage? Is it worth keeping a stockpile of say, chert near my traps?
Eeyup. And web them if you can too. Stunned creatures always get hit on the head, and stone traps suddenly become extremely lethal one shot head smashers when their quarry is stuck.

Heh, quarry.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »

Eeyup. And web them if you can too. Stunned creatures always get hit on the head, and stone traps suddenly become extremely lethal one shot head smashers when their quarry is stuck.

Heh, quarry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did not know that webbing stonefall traps would increase their effectiveness, I am assuming this would let me kill those stupid kobold thieves that try to steal my socks...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

bitwiseshiftleft

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2012, 03:50:20 am »

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but from what I can see in my game, platinum is a 100% drop.
Can anyone confirm this?

Confirm.  It is a 100% drop, and smelts 4:1.  Good stuff.

It seems that the top of my fortress has several alluvial layers, since my shallow metals are tetrahedrite, malachite and native platinum, all in veins.  No steel or coal for me, but the platinum makes up for it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2012, 04:02:57 am »

The RNG always gives you snake eyes.
I like this quote, I'll have to drop it somewhere in my sigpost. You're part of Bay12 history. Again.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15