Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58

Author Topic: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)  (Read 98332 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #600 on: September 19, 2012, 06:17:46 pm »

Well, I want to see if the turn can be fixed. Lemon, I might add that I have something special- the ability to build an archery range and more in a short timeframe. But anyway, Vanigo, am I good on the error? Irony, I won't take your city. Same as before- drive right by it.
Meh, all of you can build counters in a short time frame, but the main use of the pegasus knights will be raiding land and taking isolated cities, where it will be hard to have a appropriate amount of forces, and hard to catch up with them as well, dervishes or cavaliers will deal with the main battles.

The only true counter to them is dragoons (calvary so they move fast, and very high damage so they can fight them with only a slight numerical advantage without any problem), but they take quite a long time to get to unless you were planning on it, and since they aren't flying (and don't have charge), they will take charge damage and won't be able to follow over water. Calvary archers also slightly work, but they are a bit too weak to do it without overwhelming numbers.

Irony, I would recommend you get involved and save Sheb (your standing guard will almost certainly be enough to make sure that doom doesn't push through and take Sheb's city, since he will want to defend his own, which is also necessary to get reinforcements to the north), otherwise Doom will get a bit too strong (since odds are pretty good that he will win the battle at the city a bit farther north as things are going now, and then will probably be able to finish taking the rest of Sheb's cities). At that point he will be pretty easily able to take your remaining city on the continent (since it will be 6 cities of peacetime production and near unlimited stone against your 1).

Also, hurry up and post Sheb/Doom.
This is a concern, but I'm actually more concerned about Sheb courting foreign powers.
I don't think that that is really that much of a concern, Doom's incoming navy will stop Kash from landing, and our real focus will still be on our island.
Plus, my main goal is to stop one of them from becoming too strong, I don't really want Sheb taking over Doom (even if Me+Kash each get a city), since he would pretty promptly turn around and eat both of our cities up (followed by your cities on the mainland).

EDIT: I should note it might be different for kash, since he is only about a turn away from Doom's cities via carrack, and could probably fight near evenly if he ported enough units over there, whereas it would take 3/4 turns for one of my units to get over to a city.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:20:44 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #601 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »

That's assuming he survives the ships I'm throwing at him. And I think I'm actually pretty close to dragoons. Just saying.

EDIT: I think I have all the buildings needed. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:32:07 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »

Oh, I wasn't saying he could beat you (especially since it will take him ~3/4 turns of 10 labor per turn to build a good enough navy to make sure units got over there), and even then he wouldn't be able to get a large enough advantage to take your cities without full production, but that *If* you were beaten, and kash+me got one of your cities each, he could defend it from Sheb for a very long time, whereas Sheb could take my city out pretty fast due to how long it would take to get reinforcements over there.
And I think I'm actually pretty close to dragoons. Just saying.

EDIT: I think I have all the buildings needed. What am I missing?
Wonderworks, which requires both a university and a size 6 city.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:56 pm »

Well, now he's said that... Y'all know how much I like my mounted archers.
Dude, you may not have noticed, but mounted archers kind of suck. 5 attack just doesn't cut it anymore.

Dragoons require a cavalry yard and wonderworkers.

Doom, I expect I can fix things so your turn works, I just haven't had a chance yet.

To be more specific, fliers take half damage from non-flying melee units. I... probably should have kept that in mind when I statted up the fliers. I hate to change the rules during a game, but maybe I should go in and nerf their health anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 19, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »

Urk. I guess they are really pretty powerful (although Sky Knights ARE the only unit in the game that uses two special resources), I would prefer they weren't nerfed at all, but its not like I can stop you or anything, just don't nerf them TOO hard.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:13 am »

Dude, you may not have noticed, but mounted archers kind of suck. 5 attack just doesn't cut it anymore.
So do Bowmen, but Mounted Archers have the benefit of high movement. And until I get the right buildings, what am I supposed to do with huge amounts of wood and horses?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

He is saying that its like throwing spearmen at dervishes, yes it will work at a sufficiently high number, but it isn't ever a smart idea (since while you would have a good chance at beating 2 dervishes with 10 spearmen, you would have to spend 4 times the labor, 5 times the building time, and 5 times the upkeep).

You can get cavalry archers next turn however (just build a bowyer in your city with a cavalry yard and foundry), which stand a significantly better (but still not good) chance.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 20, 2012, 11:18:27 am »

And will be a good stand in until I acquire Dragoons.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 20, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »

Oh, so I guess I can just build a bowyer until I get the wonderworks, then. Thanks.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:02 am »

Sheb: Hurry up and post.
Doom: You can guess pretty easily what exactly will happen on your turn, it not running sucks, but its not like there is anything complicated that will happen.
Vanigo: You should hurry up and fix it so doom can post his turn without any concerns.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:51 am »

Don't you know the magic word?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:28 am »

Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:30 am »

Ah, sorry for being rude.  :-[
It just a little hard to avoid when trying to be forceful and trying to get people to post, especially after the first time.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 21, 2012, 08:37:26 pm »

You know how, sometimes when you're coding, you sometimes put an i where you should have put a j? And sometimes it's in an obscure little piece of code that doesn't come up very often? Yeah, Doom's turn works fine now.
Also, flying units nerfed, generally on the order of 4 hp.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat log (click to show/hide)
Game state

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:51 pm »

Well, Sheb's defenses are proving very resilient. Vanigo, do higher-level skills negate lower-level skills, such as in the case of chargebreak and charge? Knights have charge three, halberdiers have chargebreak 2, so I was wondering.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58