Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58

Author Topic: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)  (Read 98342 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #615 on: September 21, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »

You should really get involved while you still can Irony. Otherwise by the time Doom's army beats Sheb and gets to you it will probably have at least 15 units that are level 3-4 and have a fairly easy time killing your dervishes and taking over your city (even if you have a fortress there).
Fakeedit: Although from his post it seems that Sheb might be able to survive doom this turn (and after that he can build up fast enough to keep his city alive).

Vanigo: I think priests are too strong right now. As it is killing a few units in a battle snowballs by the end. Throw in a priest, and you don't even have to spend time in a city to recover at the end, you can just march to their city, and by the time they are there your army will be completely healed. With a small army it isn't that bad, since having a preiest instead of another pikeman has a significant increase in your loss chances and he can die. However, if you have a very large army, and you win, he is unlikely to die and he has enormous healing power.
Nerf ideas: Either half the basic priests (I think priests of life having 6 healing is *probably* fine, since they *are* a special unit) healing amount (from 4->2).
The other option is to double/triple it, but have each healing amount heal a single point per turn (eg. if you have healing 8, a 4/7 unit, a 5/18 unit and a 3/10 unit, it will heal to 7/7, 10/18 and 3/10), which would allow a single priest to be really big help strong with a only a few units with it, but only a single one wouldn't be able to fix an entire army in two turns. You could also do the same with the priest of life, but also give him a healing aura (like he has now) in addition to regular healing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:28:19 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #616 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »

Spoiler: Empire of Tesunad (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »

I suppose that you don't need to get involved at all irony.
The first time I ran this turn (2 turns ago) sheb's units didn't get to safety in the city, and he didn't have enough forces to fight doom off. Since they did this time, they provided enough troops to let him win consistently (3/3 times). I don't think that Doom will attack this turn, nor in the forseeable future if sheb keeps building up.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

Well, Sheb's defenses are proving very resilient. Vanigo, do higher-level skills negate lower-level skills, such as in the case of chargebreak and charge? Knights have charge three, halberdiers have chargebreak 2, so I was wondering.
No. The difference between different levels of charge is that, on a charge attack, you get an attack bonus equal to the charge level, so your level 2 lancers, with 8 attack and charge 2, have an effective 10 attack on their charge. Chargebreak gives a similar bonus on the charge-countering attack.

And I'm not surprised you can't crack that nut. You'd have had a decent chance if you'd won initiative last turn, I think, but there's two T2 infantry units, a unit of pikemen, and two magicians sitting on a tile with +100% defense. With no siege on your side of the board, even his magicians have 8 defense there.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:09 pm »

Yeah. I ran it through a few times, but kept losing, so I've decided to just wait him out at the borders for the time being.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:56 am »

Defenser really do have a terrible advanage in this game. I guess I'll wreck your amy in a few turns and then we're back to square one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:42 am »

Come on irony and sheb, could you guys please hurry up and post.  :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 24, 2012, 11:35:52 am »

Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:12 am »

Poke. Poke. Poke.
If you don't post I will keep poking you Irony.
Poke. Poke. Poke.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 25, 2012, 01:58:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Also, Kingdom of Tarr (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2012, 11:26:16 am »

Just a tentative poke vanigo to make sure you know everyone has submitted their turns.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »

Sorry for the delay. My family's been in town; things have been busy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Game state

To answer your comment about priests, lemon10, I assume you mean healers? Priests don't actually have any healing, although warpriests do. I guess your point is that it makes the already-swingy combat even swingier, and overvalues eliminating units? I can see the logic there. Have to think about it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:37 pm »

Spoiler: Turno, turnee, turned (click to show/hide)

To answer your comment about priests, lemon10, I assume you mean healers? Priests don't actually have any healing, although warpriests do. I guess your point is that it makes the already-swingy combat even swingier, and overvalues eliminating units? I can see the logic there. Have to think about it.
Kind of, but its more that it negates the entire need to heal in a town or stop after a tough battle, and all you need is a single healer in a ten unit size army, it would be fine if it was a little slower or scaled with army size, but it seems a bit too powerful a effect for just a single unit.
And yeah, I did mean healers not priests. Opps.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 27, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

Spoiler: Empire of Tesunad (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05:01 am »

I think I will poke those who haven't posted yet (Irony, sheb and doom. Poke), it has only been a day, but I know will have to bother everyone a few times anyways till they all post, so I might as well start now.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58