Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]

Author Topic: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)  (Read 98215 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)
« Reply #855 on: February 26, 2013, 10:23:34 am »

Re edits: I quite like lemon10's suggestions.

Same here.  I would like to note, however that one of my galleons almost killed a pair of sky knights when the outpost was attacked.  If it had focused on just one, that sky knight would've died.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)
« Reply #856 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:37 am »

Same here.  I would like to note, however that one of my galleons almost killed a pair of sky knights when the outpost was attacked.  If it had focused on just one, that sky knight would've died.

Yes, it'd be nice if our soldiers had at least a minor degree of tactical sense. I appreciate that'd get quite difficult to implement though.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

Yes, it'd be nice if our soldiers had at least a minor degree of tactical sense. I appreciate that'd get quite difficult to implement though.

Considering what Doomblade's troops once did, there is the possibility that they already do, somewhat.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »

Considering what Doomblade's troops once did, there is the possibility that they already do, somewhat.
They don't at the moment. And it would be quite easy to do (just have the army all try to attack the same unit in their frontmost tile each turn). I am pretty sure that it was a choice on Vanigo's part to have the armies randomly attack units each turn.

Re edits: I quite like lemon10's suggestions.

Sky knights aren't that strong in combat compared to equal cost/strength units, the big thing they have is the massive mobility and versatility. The fact that they can act as both armies and navies, and alternate in any single turn is what makes them so strong.
The big thing that I used them for wasn't equal combat, but rather as fast amphibious units, able to travel very fast and go from land->water->land (requiring at least three turns for regular units if you lack a city there, as well as being open to interdiction from hostile boats). This allows them to easily run over and take down remote outposts.

And even on land they are slightly better then regular Calvary since they don't need roads (not a huge thing by the time that you get them, but still a decent advantage).
While they aren't super strong compared to boats in naval combat (about as strong as a galleon), they can easily evade or catch navies since they can go over land.

Thus they either require large nerfs to their mobility and versatility, or a fairly large raw strength nerf (and they aren't really that strong compared to units in their group anyways, so a strength nerf would risk just making them irrelevant).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 26, 2013, 07:46:18 pm »

First off: A nerf to sky knights and drakes is needed.
Their mobility is far too strong, allowing them to act as both armies and navies without having any of the restrictions of either. Their super fast movement and strength makes them A) hard to catch, and B) are equal to endgame units in their own rights.

Suggestion: Don't allow them to stop over water (just allow them to pass over water), otherwise they drown (but maybe let them fight before they drown).
Reduce all their movement to 4?
In the revised ruleset being used in the other thread, I've reduced the speed of all flying units by at least one. Pegasus knights, drakes, airships, and level 3+ air mages have 3 movement, sky knights have 4, and lightning skiffs have 5 (but are quite weak compared to T3 cavalry). In this game, lightning skiffs have a whopping 8 speed.

Nerf Airboats, they are A) strong units, and B) their MS bonus is too powerful for the cost. Without them my conquest would have taken far longer.
Suggestion: A) make them far weaker units OR B) reduce their carrying capacity to 2 OR C) make them cost 2 air mana.
Wait, airships only cost 1 air mana? I've been remembering that wrong for at least six months.

Nerf endgame calvary: The cost is the same as infantry, but they have vastly improved mobility as well as being slightly stronger (+2 health for all of them as well as charge). If horses were truly rare it would be different, but as it is they were significantly better (especially since you could harass and pick your battles with ease, including splitting up into multiple armies that can't even be threatened with infantry), even with the extra building requirements.
Suggestion: Increase cost over infantry OR decrease MS to 4 for endgame calvary OR nerf their attack/damage/health.
That's true of early and midgame cavalry as well. I was expecting the required buildings to be a bigger deal, to be honest, but the long peaceful buildup kind of screwed with that.

Buff Krakens: They are only very slightly better then frigates in combat, which isn't worth the slower MS, lack of ranged ability, and being unable to carry units. Maybe once wood is rare they could actually be useful, but in this game there was no way for them to really be worth it.
Suggestion: Significant stat buff AND/OR give them a unique ability (eg. allow them to attack two different enemy units per turn (but not attack the same unit once)).
I've already doubled the wood cost of almost everything. Might need something else, too. Maybe Submerge: half damage from nonmagical ranged attacks? Since every ship but the barge has a nonmagical ranged attack, that would give them a huge advantage against most opponents they'd go up against. (It would, unfortunately, require digging into the code again, and I haven't poked at that in almost a year.) That might be too good, though; I can't let them completely dominate the seas.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:47 pm »

hrre's an idea: Give Kraken 50% more health than a boat(kraken being huge sea mosters able to tank a lot of stuff)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 28, 2013, 05:31:52 pm »

That's true of early and midgame cavalry as well. I was expecting the required buildings to be a bigger deal, to be honest, but the long peaceful buildup kind of screwed with that.

You could create a possible balance by having the occasional NPC enemies spawn at the map edges with scripting to go towards the least defendable city of the nearest civilization.  That may require a decent amount of scripting, but it would balance early-game buildup, especially if they are hidden from the players until they reach 2-3 tiles away from the city.

That might be too good, though; I can't let them completely dominate the seas.

If the map is balanced so that there is an ability for all players to reach it in a timely manner, than it should not be that much of a problem.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »

If the map is balanced so that there is an ability for all players to reach it in a timely manner, than it should not be that much of a problem.
Kind of like how the pegasi weren't a problem? I don't want any one tile to give its owner an insurmountable advantage in one field or another.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Would this work on Ipad? If so, put me in line for the next one please. I love Strategy games, even if I'm not particularly good at them...

Edit: Didn't notice the date stamp, krap. Sorry, didn't intend to necro.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:59:52 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

This thread has been dead for over a year.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]