Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58

Author Topic: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Is this the endgame?)  (Read 97242 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #585 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:46 am »

Spoiler: Moar Orders! (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again: Computerized empire-builder game (Things are exciting!)
« Reply #586 on: September 18, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

Wow. That battle really shouldn't have gone nearly that well for Doom. I mean, he was heavily favored to win it (especially since Sheb ignored my offered advice), but he really should have lost more than two units.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat log (click to show/hide)
Game state

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »

Seems that Doom's soldiers have learned how to deal with Sheb's forces.  Did you program military tactics into the game?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:26 pm »

Ouch, that run went really well for Doom (the best one out of all the tests I ran). Looks like this war might be wrapped up pretty soon. If a few more units had died it would have been different, but as it is I am not quite sure how Sheb can get out of this spot.

And what was your advice?
I could see A) sending his cavalry away so that dooms cavalry would be engaged first and take some significant damage before his main force arrived and/or B) ditch the siege equipment and have a 50% chance of getting away somewhere safe (either the mountains or stacked with those two new units coming down).
Or C) something else entirely.

Spoiler: Turn (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Battles are pretty simple. There is a 20X1 field, and units walk towards the enemy from their sides at their speed each turn until they get in attack range. They can't attack the very first turn they get in range (except for units with the charge ability, who get a bonus to attack on the charge), so the units that walked into range attack next turn.
Each units randomly selects an enemy unit and attacks, dealing 1Dattack-1Ddefense damage  (random number between 1 and attack minus a random number between 1 and defense).
This works out so that two units fighting one will get in between 3-4 times more attacks, so assuming the units are near equal, even a few more units will cause a significant difference.
Focusing is very random, a army won't pick the same units to fight (although they can all pick the same ones if you get lucky), and won't stick with fighting the same unit till it dies either, so how much they focus can very well decide larger battles.
Units get 1XP per turn they are in battle.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:56:51 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:06 pm »

Vanigo, whenever I simulate a turn in the admin realm, a galleon moving to attack doesn't arrive. Do you know what's happening? I'll PM you the turn.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »

Some sort of exception being thrown is killing the turn. I'll take a closer look later; it's pretty late right now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 19, 2012, 02:07:09 am »

Shoot. That sucks. What was your advice vanigo? I didn't get it. Also, why Didn't I get a defensive bonus?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:14 am »

Spoiler: Empire of Tesunad (click to show/hide)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »

Shoot. That sucks. What was your advice vanigo? I didn't get it. Also, why Didn't I get a defensive bonus?
Pull the lancers away. Their presence kept Doom's lancers from making a terrible mistake.
You didn't get a defensive bonus because your troops were in a plains tile, which has no defensive bonus.

By the way, with lemon10 getting close to fielding some flying units, I feel like I should remind everyone that fliers have a huge advantage over non-flying melee units. You may want to invest in some ranged units!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

They do?
Oh god, I never knew that, soon all shall fall under the flying horsemen (especially since no one has the buildings to get useful ranged units yet).
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA.
What exactly is the bonus by the way?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:15 pm »

Well, now he's said that... Y'all know how much I like my mounted archers.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

Spoiler: Kingdom of Tarr (click to show/hide)

Unless somebody objects, I'd like to found a new city on the western edge of Cimmeria, in those grasslands with the horses and wheat.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 19, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »

Irony, I would recommend you get involved and save Sheb (your standing guard will almost certainly be enough to make sure that doom doesn't push through and take Sheb's city, since he will want to defend his own, which is also necessary to get reinforcements to the north), otherwise Doom will get a bit too strong (since odds are pretty good that he will win the battle at the city a bit farther north as things are going now, and then will probably be able to finish taking the rest of Sheb's cities). At that point he will be pretty easily able to take your remaining city on the continent (since it will be 6 cities of peacetime production and near unlimited stone against your 1).

Also, hurry up and post Sheb/Doom.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 19, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »

Well, I want to see if the turn can be fixed. Lemon, I might add that I have something special- the ability to build an archery range and more in a short timeframe. But anyway, Vanigo, am I good on the error? Irony, I won't take your city. Same as before- drive right by it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 19, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »

Irony, I would recommend you get involved and save Sheb (your standing guard will almost certainly be enough to make sure that doom doesn't push through and take Sheb's city, since he will want to defend his own, which is also necessary to get reinforcements to the north), otherwise Doom will get a bit too strong (since odds are pretty good that he will win the battle at the city a bit farther north as things are going now, and then will probably be able to finish taking the rest of Sheb's cities). At that point he will be pretty easily able to take your remaining city on the continent (since it will be 6 cities of peacetime production and near unlimited stone against your 1).

Also, hurry up and post Sheb/Doom.
This is a concern, but I'm actually more concerned about Sheb courting foreign powers.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58