Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: *What Grinds Your Gears?  (Read 10787 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *What Grinds Your Gears?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:12 am »

Sorting, sorting, more sorting.  And filtering too. 

Instead, the trade/military/burrow/stock/etc. screens are nightmarish from lack of sorting/filtering.
^^ That

And also how my dwarves rather be naked (and then complain about it) than wear xKitten Leather Pantsx. Don't come crying to me that you have no pants when I can see your old pair with a scuff mark on it on the floor.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:54 am »

No cursor memory in lists. 

Every time I have to leave a list, every time I have selected one thing in a list, and have to search through the list again...

And oh boy, if you get dropped out of a caravan trading screen before completing it?  Oh, that annoys.  It takes half an hour finding things to trade for in the giant lists of crap those caravans bring some times.

Sorting, sorting, more sorting.  And filtering too. 

Instead, the trade/military/burrow/stock/etc. screens are nightmarish from lack of sorting/filtering.

These.
They are on my list of most annoying things in DF for very long time.

No cursor memory in lists makes it a pain to build anything from specified material, You have to spend 3x more clicks and effort for the same task.

Trade screen. No sorting / filtering / mass selecting / anything. I am pretty much OCD to buy every item that can have use in my fort, and it really takes half a hour every time. And can be accidentally canceled with one key.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »

Siege engines.  >:(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »

No cursor memory in lists. 

Every time I have to leave a list, every time I have selected one thing in a list, and have to search through the list again...

And oh boy, if you get dropped out of a caravan trading screen before completing it?  Oh, that annoys.  It takes half an hour finding things to trade for in the giant lists of crap those caravans bring some times.

and ballistae being completely inaccurate even with all masterwork components and legendary operators.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »

The specific cloth requirement in strange moods. Yes you dumb dwarf I do make cloth. No I don't make all three wool plant fiber and silk. I don't care for your picky needs use the damn cloth available!
Executing a berserk failed mood dwarf is never quite as satisfying.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »

1} Poor goblins unable to doing anything against closed drawbridges and fortress of walls.  Just try and imagine playing this game as the goblins and you'll feel sorry for them.  As a result I refuse to seal my fort and refuse to use cage traps.

2} Copper bolts piercing Adamantine armor types and whips slashing limbs off... known bugs.   Until fixed we can only pretend these weapons are from the Star Wars dimension.

3} Only one choice for creating ranged weapons which is the most overpowered of the three ranged weapons.  Sure you can buy or recover bows or blowguns, but doing extra work for a weaker item is pointless. 

4} Doctors working on wounded have way tooooo low of a priority.  In my current game even with my doctors doing only doctor tasks it took an entire month to diagnosis a single patient.  I feel sad for the legendary swordsman with adamantine armor who is struck with copper bolts, but having to watch him slowly die in the hospital is salt on the wound.
  *as soon as a patient is wounded the doctor should be waiting for him in the hospital.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:41:54 pm by NTJedi »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »

Birds.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »

1) You cannot control the amount or frequency of migrants.
2) Healthcare jobs -- none of them have high priority, even though they ALL should have high priority.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 03:45:30 am »

Lock the medical crew in the hospital with food and booze that the bastards will have nothing but time on thier hands to help the wounded.

Air lock medical! Where you always get timely treatment!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 04:11:44 am »

-Dwarves take too long to bring items to depot.
-Berserk dwarves destroy my buildings (after I've spent HOURS waiting for said buildings to be constructed).
These, especially when (i.e.90 % of the time) it's either a critical drawbridge at the only outdoors entrance or the trade depot (just in time for caravan season --> Their wagons have bypassed your unaccessible site.  >:( ). 
Also, having to select each and every individual xsockx for 1) bringing to depot and 2) again for trade. The game seriously needs a "take off bring/sell every zig <item type>" In a perfect world, there could even be automated buy/sell scripts. (e.g. "sell the contents of every finished goods bin, but not the bins themselves, buy as many metal ores (prio 1), wood (prio 2), and booze(prio 3) as possible")

Oh, and handling all the umpteen hojillion different types of fat and tallow in cooking and soap making. Can has a "cook no tallow" option plz? Tallow should go towards making soap, not tons and tons of *tallow roast*s while there's barrel after barrel of unused plants, syrup and fish in the food stockpile.

This is a crundle tallow roast. Its ingredients are crundle tallow, cat tallow, sheep tallow and crundle tallow. (EWW!)

(Well, in the future update this can be corrected by setting the stockpile with all the fish and no tallow as the kitchen supply. Rendering fat is another matter though... :-\ )
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 06:20:55 am »

Unsorted lists is the most annoying bug in DF for me.  Sometimes I've gone through the same list 3-4 times before finding the thing/dorf I want.
If Toady could put a Sort and a Filter on *all* lists that would please me no end.

(Filter as in the New Job style filter: type a few letters and all options with those letters in are listed. Want to find Urist McInThisBloodyListSomewhere - just type isbl, and there's a good chance he'll be visible immediately).

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:01:28 am »

• Dwarves/Merchants running AWAY from the trap laden entrance when they see hostiles.
  • No select-all button in the trade depot.
  • No filter/search on string for the many many menus that need it.
  • Need cleaning to get all those bloodstains and FB juices out of my hazmat showers/well areas.
  • Worn clothing going into my clothing stockpiles.[No Level of wear stockpile restriction]
  • No separation of fat and tallow in the stocks menu.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:34 am »

Siege cleanup.  Messy messy messy.
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:49 am »

Actually, you can. Edit the population cap in your d_init.txt file.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:47 am »

Actually, you can. Edit the population cap in your d_init.txt file.

Hey, look.  I got another 30 dwarf migration despite hitting my population cap two seasons ago.

The population cap is broken, and is reliant on your liaison not getting gutted by the goblin ambush that spawned next to him.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5