Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ArmageddonMUD - Multiplayer Dark Sun Roleplaying Game  (Read 1081 times)

peeled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
ArmageddonMUD - Multiplayer Dark Sun Roleplaying Game
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »

Hey guys, long time lurker and DF player here. Thought some of you might be interested in this other game that I play, so I decided to make an account.

What is it?

ArmageddonMUD is, well, a MUD, which is short for a Multi User Domain. They're a genre of multiplayer, text based online games. It means the game has no graphics - not even ASCII - and interaction with the gameworld is through a number of text commands. There’s a bit of a learning curve when it comes to getting into a MUD, but it’s actually very straightforward once you get used to the syntax. I’ll include connection instructions and such at the end of this post, but first, a bit about the game itself.

ArmageddonMUD is set on the desert world of Zalanthas. If you’re familiar with old D&D campaign settings at all, the world draws a lot of inspiration from Dark Sun in particular. For those who aren’t familiar, here’s the gist; the population is water-starved, magic scars the world, sorcerer kings rule over the remaining city-states, and metal of any sort is incredibly rare. Raiders and tribal peoples rule the land between the sparse civilized areas, and everyone’s running around with swords made of bone and chitin, amongst other scavenged materials.

The game terms itself as an ‘RPI’, meaning that it is ‘Roleplay Intensive’. This means that RP is a requirement when you play, and all actions taken ingame are considered to be ‘In Character’. That said, you’re absolutely not required to write paragraphs for every action or be the most literate person in the world. The community is accomodating of people of all levels of writing ability, as long as you’re able to use proper grammar and spelling.

What else do I need to know?

Like any other online space, ArmageddonMUD has rules. I’m not going to put them all in this post, as they can be easily found on the ArmageddonMUD website, but the main one is that you generally can’t talk about what goes on ‘in character’ outside of the game. Metagaming, or using information about ingame events that you found out outside the game is also against the rules.

So, how do I actually play this game?

You’ll need a telnet/MUD client. There are tons of them out there (there’s even one for use on the ArmageddonMUD website) but the ones I’d recommend are Mudlet and MUSHclient. I’ve used them both before, and they work well.

Using this client, you connect to the game’s IP: ginka.armageddon.org, port 4050

Once you’re connected, you will be met with the menu screen and a few options. First thing’s first: making an account. Once that’s made, you can enter character creation, after which you need to wait for an admin to review and approve your character. This usually doesn’t take too long, typically less than 24 hours.

If you need help writing a character, or have any other general questions, here’s the link for both the Discord and the website.

https://www.armageddon.org/

https://discord.gg/7cnwGe5

For those who are interested, I look forward to seeing you ingame!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:26:18 pm by peeled »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ArmageddonMUD - Multiplayer Dark Sun Text Game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:12:39 pm »

I haven't played this in a long time. But, I had issues figuring out how to do stuff. Dunno if its the same, been years...and I feel bad the first response here is a bad experience post.

But I remember trying to open a bag since was trading with someone

I forgot all the commands I tried, but almost none of them worked to open the bag. Finally did end up figuring it out, but I felt bad because the other person was waiting so long.

And then I gave up

There was not a command I could think of, and I tried all the usual ones from other MUDs, to simply take an item out of a bag and put it on the table or at least take it out.

And the help thing in-game was of no use either.

So I just placed the bag on the table and the person took out what he wanted.

Then I died and had to wait to make a new character because its such an RP intensive realm, you gotta be approved. And you die so easily and fast (or did) that it ends up more waiting to be accepted than it is playing the game.

With that said, despite my very very bad initial impressions...the theme, setting, the features, its probably the only RP intensive mud I ever liked. I just couldn't figure out how to play it and survive without having to wait hours to be accepted each time I die. Made it harder I couldn't re-use character names or character themes, which makes sense...but I already have problems in most games coming up with names that aren't popular real life names.

Great MUD in theory, I just sadly couldn't figure it out or make sense of it.

Though I did love getting lost in a canyon, then something just killed me in one hit. Truly dangerous world, kinda reminded me of Dune in some ways with how harsh the world is. Had a very dune-like feel to it, and its definitely my favorite setting as far as MUDs go. But when I played, the help info was a little lacking in basic things like taking an item out of a bag. And like I said, the commands used in other MUDs (at least at the time) didn't exist in this one. Which be fine if the help files had a bit more guidance.

In any case, like I said, if figured out the MUD and had a bit more guidance, the MUD itself is pretty amazing with how they designed the world and the many features.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:16:39 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:28 pm »

I've been meaning to get back into RPIs for a loooooooong time, but I'm not sure it's ever gonna happen.   
Why? I have no idea, some of my favourite gaming memories come from the handful of RPI MUDs I've played. Never managed to properly get into Arm, though. The commands were always just that teensy bit different from what I was used to so that my emotes wound up peppered with invalid characters, haha. Also you gotta remember who to bow to and what you're supposed to address them as - though when you mess up, you can always blame it on sunstroke and hope the player takes mercy on an obvious newbie.   

I should really take the plunge and try again... I applied for a character a while back, intending to play after I moved house and had more stable internet. That was months ago. Whoops.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:20:11 pm »

I tried to find a contemporary review on TopMudSites, but apparently they changed the reviewing system yonks ago (the link to the new one just gave an error), and I didn't even see Arma on the headline ranked list (yay... Discworld still in top three!) to establish popularity against other keystones I know of.

Seems a little constrained for my liking, with no easy "come and try it", but I suppose that's part of the immersion deal for all those already bedded into the scene not being interrupted by random wombles who were told to find a left-handed dagger or needing to know how not to shout to every other player at once.

Still, I might see if I can coordinate requesting a character with time to spare back home on one of the desktops (not really practical on a mobile device). There seems to be some thought put into it, even if a lot of that thought seems to need to be kept hush-hush from the casual afficionado. Ultimately intriguing, but might be selling it short.