Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 237732 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - War for the Atlas
« Reply #1380 on: November 16, 2018, 01:29:47 pm »

Which skill are you mainly using though? There's some pretty good ones for 2-handing, even if they all kinda pale in comparison with dual-wield/statsticking when it comes to damage output.

Right now (lvl 29), since I'm using 2h swords, I'm using mostly Cleave (+life gain on hit support) for aoe and Heavy Strike (+ruthless & maim supports) for single target.
I also have Leap slam for mobility and surviving encirclements in Delve. Oh and I have Vaal double strike (+chance to bleed support) that I use on bosses.

My biggest issue is that I'm constantly much above the level of my gear, and if I go to same-level depths in Delve to get better gear, I just explode due to...my shitty gear. I stomp through the normal campaign though. I'm trying to go for life leeching so I took the Vaal Pact and the Mana leech / Life leech passives.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 16, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »

I suggest that you try and grab some leveling uniques for cheap while people are still responsive to trades, should cost you an alch or so for most of them and they'll make lvling much much quicker and more enjoyable. Stuff like Bloodreaper or Edge of madness (I think it's called that, been a while since I slayered) are fairly decent and should be ok until late into the story acts.

Also VP is a bit of a trap early on since you probably won't be leeching that much, if at all (life gain on hit isn't the same as life leech so VP does nothing for it) compared to the regen that will probably save you more than once (especially if you took any of the bigger nodes that give you % of max HP regen as well as %max HP).

In general, try and get atleast 1k hp every three or so acts as well as keeping your resists capped, tho this will probably only matter in the second part of the campaign after the res penalty kicks in and the mobs/bosses become a bit more dangerous.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 18, 2018, 12:02:52 am »

I'm working on a poison/physical Assassin right now to finish out the league, and I've happened across a question that I can't find elsewhere: does anyone know if Vaal Pact stops the recovery from Toxic Delivery?

The specific line is "Recover 0.5% of your maximum life per poison affecting enemies you kill."

VP explicitly only stops passive regeneration, and TD should be classed as part of the "on-hit/on-kill" element of life recovery and is phrased in the same generic way as health flasks (which are now not blocked by VP), but I wanted to see if anyone knew from experience whether that's actually the case before I start popping regrets to test it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 18, 2018, 08:01:08 am »

Since we're talking builds, I'm currently running into a problem that while my character can just melt through enemies... even a basic attack from a boss (or merely getting attacked by a few regulars for a couple of seconds) results in instant death. Here's a link to my build.

Am I just screwed and will have to make a new character?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 18, 2018, 10:52:12 am »

Since we're talking builds, I'm currently running into a problem that while my character can just melt through enemies... even a basic attack from a boss (or merely getting attacked by a few regulars for a couple of seconds) results in instant death. Here's a link to my build.

I'm a newbie to poe, but that's pretty self-evident even to me. You've only got +18% increased maximum life. Most level 90-96 builds have +150%-200% as a bare minimum and would take more if they could. You also only, so far as I can tell, have Art of the Gladiator (+24%evasion/armor) for your other defense layers. Not even a second node of +%evasion or armor, and not a single Ele Res node. That is beyond squishy.

For reference, the assassin I'm using right now, that I think is way too squishy, has (at lv.62) +100% max life, +98% evasion, and +29% to all three ele res. My target for if I eventually take it to lv100 in standard is +185% health, +190% evasion, Acrobatics, and -3% ele res after the curses. And I still think that's way too squishy and could use more defensive layers, but I can't fit them and still have the stuff I need for the build to DPS properly.

Grab those +%life/evasion/armor nodes right at the start of your tree. Grab the ones around Golem's Blood. Grab Thick Skin. Maybe grab Weathered Hunter. You're the second-closest class to Sentinel & the +18% res nodes, and to the massive block of life around Constitution, beeline to those. I don't know exactly what you want to do with the build, but whatever direction you build towards, grab the relevant defensive nodes. As I understand it, aside from a handful of essentials depending on what you're doing, every build prioritizes stacking defensive layers to avoid popping like soap bubbles. For a more damage-oriented class you might still pop against some bosses and rares, but at-level ordinary mobs shouldn't even remotely be a threat.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:52 am »

You have only 18% increased life from the tree, that's the obvious place to start. There's the other starting node, with +14 life, as well as two sets of nodes you can start getting immediately, once including Golem Blood, and the other including Thick Skin. Grabbing all of both of those will bring you up to 31% increased, which is a bit better, although you will still want more, particularly as you level up. I generally see life builds go towards the Constitution circle/rectangle/whatever shape it is now, where there is a large cluster of life nodes (for a total of 49% increased). It looks like you are going to be dual-wielding swords, in which case there is the wheel on the right of the tree with Herbalism on the way, for another 20% and better life flasks, and the wheel on the left with Barbarism and Juggernaut nearby, and Bloodless along the way. Heart of the Warrior is another good node, in front of the Marauder start, and there are quite a few other good nodes over there too. Note that obviously you can't get every node on the tree, so you'll have to consider trade-offs.

tl;dr: you need to get more increased life, of which there is a bit directly nearby. You can probably continue as (optionally using a few re-spec points) by going for those immediately and not neglecting it in the future.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 18, 2018, 11:44:13 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll use what respec points I have to sacrifice of the lifesteal nodes in favour of getting more defence.

EDIT: After spending my 7 respec points I'm somewhat more survivable (though not by a lot) now. Probably would be best to start over, but might as well wait for the Betryal league for that.

Meanwhile, I'm making do by using flasks to pump up my evasion.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:06:58 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 18, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »

TBH there's nothing wrong with continuing to play Delve while it lasts. Good experience for your next build and you can still aim for the challenge rewards.

3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 18, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

TBH there's nothing wrong with continuing to play Delve while it lasts. Good experience for your next build and you can still aim for the challenge rewards.
That character's an old one from Abyss league. Stopped for a while and returned recently.

To be fair, I think the situation got as bad as it did as a consequence of my anxiety, which I was sort-of in denial until rather recently. Seeing huge sprawling webs of choices like PoE's skill tree causes me to sometimes lock down... resulting in me picking whatever seems more attractive at the moment ("more damage!").

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 18, 2018, 01:32:43 pm »

Mm, I getcha.

3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 18, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »

All my hours playing a shitty no DPS sword and board scion taught me that you can (usually) always just have a longer fight...but you can't necessarily always "just take less damage." Crits and latency mean that damage avoidance can't be relied on entirely, so HP has to be a priority. Later in game if your DPS isn't up to snuff you will certainly suffer for it (Elite Necromancers with Soul Eater, extra life and physical resistance come to mind, or the bosses that regenerate in some way, or just several straight minutes of wailing on a guy with your subpar DPS.) But it's still better than humming along only to get splattered in the blink of an eye. And without a substantial HP pool, some later Map bosses are pretty much out of the question, and so are their Map win conditions.

So it's a balance but I'd definitely start prioritizing HP over everything if you're feeling the damage before you've finished the game. It's way easier to do it now then be in early or mid tier maps and realize you need another 40% increased max life or w/e.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 18, 2018, 05:45:34 pm »

Also, end-of-league is a good time to pick up useful uniques for relatively low prices if you're inclined that way.

3. Run Resize Enable

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 19, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »

Delve has been pretty okay for me, overall.  Aside from the RNG-bound access to to new content (which seems to be a recurring problem), my only complaint is the sarge/mini-boss monster types just have too damn many HPs.  I'm talking magic cavestalkers and/or big spiders taking longer to grind down than a fat rare dude with extra life and regen in a red tier map.

The balancing act with sulphite was a lot easier to manage after I made a couple secondary tunnels, as I reaped a lot of extra azurite on the way and didn't need to fluff up my light radius or darkness resist.  With a cap of 29k now, I mostly let it fill and delve when I want.

If anyone wants or needs help, Delve or Standard, I can be available for most things.  Map boss backup, lab runs, challenge hunting, etc.  I also tend to have a lot of stuff laying about, so I may be able to help with gear upgrades.

-----

Nist Akath (Wraeclast chapter) is still a thing that exists.  Little has changed since last time...  I am still nominally at the helm, but it's a cats-herding-cats situation as usual.  No attendance or participation requirements, but if you fall to the bottom of the roster you're in danger of a no-hard-feelings kick to make room for fresh blood.  (not as dire as it sounds, last trimming was people that hadn't logged in for a year)

To find me, the IG names to search for are:

Saoirse_of_Sarn
Cameron_of_Oriath

b12 PMs are also okay, as they echo to my email; I do poke my nose in here semi-regularly, but I don't log in unless I have a reason.

-----

Has anyone formed thoughts about the new private leagues?  It can be set up to do a guild-SSF type experience, though guild membership isn't strictly required, just an invitation to the private league.  I was thinking it might be nice to see how far the group can get in the first month or two of Betrayal on our own finds, sharing and helping each other.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1393 on: December 03, 2018, 07:51:53 pm »

Dev manifesto for Betreyal

f for dual-wielding melee builds.

It's really funny tho, people complain that statsticks are stupid and OP and should be dealt with so GGG goes 'hmmm, what's the best way to completely misinterpret this complaint, hmmmm' and completely kill them in case of melee skills while leaving the equally, if not moreso problematic issue of statsticks for casters completely untouched :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1394 on: December 03, 2018, 09:37:18 pm »

I want to know what melee hurt Chris Wilson so bad in his past. Was he mercilessly trolled by some rogue or warrior in PvP somewhere? Because melee gets the shaft every single time, while ranged just gets buff, after buff, after buff.

Initially this change was explored as a way to make it easier for casters to use Eldritch Battery to solve mana issues. One major issue standing in the way Eldritch Battery being effective is that it doesn't work very well on it's own, needing something like Zealot's Oath to go along with it.

You know what I rarely if ever see? Ineffective melee shit cherry picked and fixed. :\
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 100