Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 236512 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1395 on: December 04, 2018, 01:56:50 pm »

Melee is definitely in a pretty sour place, yeah. I'm a little tempted to roll out a Tectonic Strike Facebreaker Juggernaut (or something) with The Eternal Apple as a shield to belt out Abyssal Cries. That is, if my toaster of a laptop can run PoE...

Yea, definitely, I was playing with "Path of Building" earlier and I was shocked when I realized that even with the gear of my dreams I would be capped at a few hundred thousands of DPS (and much less with realistic gear). Meanwhile the ranged builds are in the millions of DPS with realistic gear...

Still, I'm pretty hyped for Betrayal. Only 3 days to go !
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:58:26 pm by Sirian »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 04, 2018, 04:33:59 pm »

Melee is definitely in a pretty sour place, yeah. I'm a little tempted to roll out a Tectonic Strike Facebreaker Juggernaut (or something) with The Eternal Apple as a shield to belt out Abyssal Cries. That is, if my toaster of a laptop can run PoE...

Yea, definitely, I was playing with "Path of Building" earlier and I was shocked when I realized that even with the gear of my dreams I would be capped at a few hundred thousands of DPS (and much less with realistic gear). Meanwhile the ranged builds are in the millions of DPS with realistic gear...

Still, I'm pretty hyped for Betrayal. Only 3 days to go !

Remember most of those are ele conversion builds that only have millions of paper DPS, their real DPS is much lower against anything with resists (i.e. bosses).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 05, 2018, 08:13:15 am »

Oh yeah, they still do stupid amounts of damage, just not the "6 FUCKTILLION DAMAGE BLAH BLAH BLAH" that they are advertised as just because that's what PoB says they do.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:26 am »

Eh, it's still effectively infinite damage since in most cases the only thing slowing their murder rate is boss invul phases (which is a cheap, lazy fix to a problem GGG themselves made).

Anyways, patch notes out, it's a fucking bloodbath. Statsticks have been gutted, halved possible roll values, some uniques got shat on (rip quill rain), molten strike got a bit of a hit, as did totem hierophant.

Meanwhile, poets pen still untouched, if anything, it got easier to get since there's another div card set for it.

Still have no idea what I'll be playing tho, might give summoners another try, but I barely got trough the story last time I tried it, was thinking arc totems, and while still strong I'm not sure I'd be willing to faff about min-maxing them properly. Or I might just go back to a trapper, last attemt was kinda cut short due to rl stuff, it's a fun enough starter.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 05, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »

That's the really absurd bit to me, completely destroying Quill Rain while leaving Poet's Pen untouched.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 05, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »

As an avid fan of PP VD that's been trying to get a pair of them with penetration, I can only stand in support.

Welp. Just got around to reading the notes. RIP, Zerphi's.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:46:01 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 18, 2018, 04:49:07 am »

Really enjoying this so far - I missed Delve and the league before it due to having other games to play at the time so there's lots of new stuff.

I've got to say, PoE has sort of turned a corner in terms of loot-em-ups. As much as I enjoyed Diablo/Grim Dawn/older-PoE, after finishing the main quest of each game I quickly got bored. Even when PoE first moved to the 10 act structure it just felt like playing it all over again with a few minor tweaks.

Now with the pantheon, delve, betrayal stuff and ascendancy there's so, so much to do and I'm very impressed.

They're having a stash sale at the moment - for anyone who's on the fence about microtransactions I bought the currency tab and it's really, really useful. Definitely not necessary, but a nice addition if you're thinking of playing a lot. 

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:57 am »

Currency, 1x premium, and map tabs are both the recommended starter buy and absolutely necessary if you plan to play the game much, TBH. The others you can make do without, but having to juggle currency and maps around or not being able to list items for sale is crippling.

3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:58 pm »

Currency, 1x premium, and map tabs are both the recommended starter buy and absolutely necessary if you plan to play the game much, TBH. The others you can make do without, but having to juggle currency and maps around or not being able to list items for sale is crippling.

+1. Map and currency stash tab are an absolute must for anyone planning to play beyond the end of the campaign. Because fuck juggling currency and Max 20 stacks. Premium stash tabs are optional, unless you want to have a public stash tab to sell stuff. If you've got a character in the standard league you're playing, public stash tabs aren't really necessary, the economy there is fucked for the most part.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:59 pm »

I'm at the end game now and it is very helpful but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary (unless you like hording) for sort of 'normal' play - I wouldn't want people to get the idea that it's freemium or anything like that. I'm sure it does become more important the more you play and build stuff up, but I don't think it ruins the experience not having them.

All that being said, if you're putting 100+ hours into something then paying the £/$4 for a currency and map tab is hardly asking a lot.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 18, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »

That's always been my rationale. I've gotten so much time out of PoE for free that $5 to make my life better seems like a pittance.

That said.....the way they drive sales is by creating new shit to fill up your stash tab. It's not an immediate problem but if you play through enough expansions you'll experience it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 18, 2018, 04:38:05 pm »

I'd say for serious long-term play, 1x currency and 1x premium tab are entirely non-optional. Map tab is huge comfort, but you can live without it. Currency tab means you don't have to play the "Hope a bot trading X for chaos isn't afk" game and accepting constant losses from bit that traders skim off the top is rough, and premium tab lets you actually participate in the economy. You can exist with one of the 3rd party programs that run a forum thread or whatever if you get serious big money drops, but it's absolutely miserable and I can't recommend a premium tab enough.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 19, 2018, 12:48:38 am »

When I started, I just threw all my junk at aristabulus and considered that my participation in the economy.  :D

(I'm pretty sure he overpaid me, too.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 19, 2018, 01:26:06 am »

That's always been my rationale. I've gotten so much time out of PoE for free that $5 to make my life better seems like a pittance.

That said.....the way they drive sales is by creating new shit to fill up your stash tab. It's not an immediate problem but if you play through enough expansions you'll experience it.
At least they added the scarabs to the fragment tab, that's a small step in the right direction.

Still not buying one of those though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:00 am »

I'd say for serious long-term play, 1x currency and 1x premium tab are entirely non-optional. Map tab is huge comfort, but you can live without it. Currency tab means you don't have to play the "Hope a bot trading X for chaos isn't afk" game and accepting constant losses from bit that traders skim off the top is rough, and premium tab lets you actually participate in the economy. You can exist with one of the 3rd party programs that run a forum thread or whatever if you get serious big money drops, but it's absolutely miserable and I can't recommend a premium tab enough.

I suppose it depends what your long term play looks like - PoE is SO much harder without trading, but if you don't want to get involved with trading then neither of those tabs are really necessary. It's only with trading that it really becomes a necessity (although currency is useful anyway), and some people are really against trading. I've got a friend who plays a lot of PoE and hates trading - says that it cheapens the experience of getting a good drop and he's reluctant to play with me as all my stuff is way better.

I sort of agree to an extent. Now I'm not really as bothered about that moment when you get JUST what you were after and more about getting a few dozen good deals to let me buy what I want - way less of a rush really.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100