Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 237762 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1425 on: December 22, 2018, 01:35:49 pm »

Skill stat requirements do tend to align with their element, but it's not very noticeable and, for the most part, every character can get enough stats for every skill without sacrifice. I wouldn't be concerned about using cold skills with a Templar - Glacial Hammer, for example, was originally built for Templar.

The only time you might have trouble with stats is if you are playing a single attribute aligned class (marauder, witch, ranger) and go with skills that require heavy investment in both of your opposite attributes. Using an int aligned spell like Arc while protecting yourself with a dex aligned aura like Grace can be hard to achieve on a Marauder, for example. Any other class could manage it, though :)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 23, 2018, 09:41:31 pm »

dominating blow used to suck compared to most attack spells but now with melee splash + ancestral call + herald of purity and the changes they made to it (it scales better now and guardian ascended skills have great synergy with them) it does way more: im basically a mobile crusade. one whack with my dominating blow is enough to clear the chaff spawns and turn them into hardcore spawns that murder groups with me helping with dominating blow, keeping the numbers and momentum up. i faintly hear sabaton songs when we blow through crowds and gang up on bosses.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 24, 2018, 12:04:06 am »

Sounds fun. Maybe I could coopt for my Scion, call it the Joan of Arc build :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 24, 2018, 11:00:59 am »

Skill stat requirements do tend to align with their element, but it's not very noticeable and, for the most part, every character can get enough stats for every skill without sacrifice. I wouldn't be concerned about using cold skills with a Templar - Glacial Hammer, for example, was originally built for Templar.

BE AWARE. If you have attribute granting gear (especially in stats you're not really levelling e.g dex for a Templar) you can end up levelling up skill gems past what you can manage without the gear - keeping you tied to that piece of gear until you find a dex boost from else where. Just something to be aware if you're starting out.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:50 pm »

You don't even need ancestral call tbh, melee splash multistrike dom blow with herald of purity running is pretty much the same thing and aims the latter strikes for you. Throw in some zombies for bonus meat shields and a golem of choice.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 26, 2018, 12:47:07 am »

You don't even need ancestral call tbh, melee splash multistrike dom blow with herald of purity running is pretty much the same thing and aims the latter strikes for you. Throw in some zombies for bonus meat shields and a golem of choice.

i did that change and i threw in herald of thunder, war banner and stone golem. herald of thunder and war banner increase my damage and my minions damage, provide an aura for my guardian passives and more mana reservation. i only use dom blow and shock brand, which are very mana efficient.
in turn, as a guardian, i have a passive which provides 15% of reserved mana as mana shield to myself and nearby allies.
and i stone golem purely for the self-hp regen.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 03, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »

Figured I'd post a little update since I started playing. I'm in Act 3 now, last time I played I didn't get beyond the start of Act 2. I'm following a build guide I saw on youtube that looked interesting. Tectonic Slam is actually pretty much the exact same skill as the one I was thinking of from Torchlight 2 except it goes in front of you instead of all around, but it still feels really good to use. It even uses charges similar to engineer from TL2, but right now my only method of getting them is from the warcry.

I also noticed that I pretty much haven't needed to use mana or healing potions except near the start of the game (and in some surprise situations with a really hard hitting special enemy). I wonder if the game is easier or if this build is really that tanky... or maybe I'm just overlevelled... It seems most people play the game by nyooming past a majority of the enemies but I have a habit of killing everything that comes at me. I'm not really in any rush.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:13 pm »

Figured I'd post a little update since I started playing. I'm in Act 3 now, last time I played I didn't get beyond the start of Act 2. I'm following a build guide I saw on youtube that looked interesting. Tectonic Slam is actually pretty much the exact same skill as the one I was thinking of from Torchlight 2 except it goes in front of you instead of all around, but it still feels really good to use. It even uses charges similar to engineer from TL2, but right now my only method of getting them is from the warcry.

I also noticed that I pretty much haven't needed to use mana or healing potions except near the start of the game (and in some surprise situations with a really hard hitting special enemy). I wonder if the game is easier or if this build is really that tanky... or maybe I'm just overlevelled... It seems most people play the game by nyooming past a majority of the enemies but I have a habit of killing everything that comes at me. I'm not really in any rush.

Later on you get some skill gems that give you a chance to get a charge when another skill is used - they usually work well enough that you don't have to bother with using another skill for it. I'm not sure when exactly you get them, but I'm sure it'll be soon.

Mana potions probably won't be necessary for a long time if you're not spell casting however you'll probably start to use  healing ones more of as you progress further through the game. That being said, mostly the difficulty for PoE is a bit binary - it's either easy and you're waltzing through everything or you're really struggling and spamming all your flasks constantly. Whilst that sounds like bad game design, it's more to do with if you're prepared you are and how well you've designed your build rather than just rocky difficulty.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 03, 2019, 05:34:46 pm »

It really depends. When your DPS is so high you vaporize most enemies before they stand a chance of killing you, there's no reason to have a ton of health potions. If you watch the L33+ streamers, they'll have maybe 1. And the other 4 will all be buff flasks.

However if your build ISN'T that hot, you will need at least a couple health pots. If your build has no real effective health regen (life on hit, life on kill, life leech, regen/sec, various healing from Warcries or consuming charges of this that and the other thing, etc...) you have no real way of regaining health. Which for most enemies in the game, prior to the final act, isn't a big deal.

But the last....few bosses in the campaign, and most bosses in end game maps, do a fuck load of damage. I'm talking, even on my tankiest character with the most HP and damage mitigation, a good crit will, if not kill me outright, take 90% of my health.

That's when you need health potions.

And the higher you get in maps, and the more dense the enemy packs get and the higher their monster level gets, that damage can also all add up very, very quickly. I'd say around T9 maps, the total spike damage from a pack of Champion enemies can easily be as dangerous as some boss attacks. More so, depending on the specific enemy in question.

So like most things in PoE it's a matter of the balance of your build. Fuck loads of damage and little HP or damage mitigation? Chances are you won't survive many late game hits to even get the chance to use a health potion. On the other hand, damage not so hot but a shit load of mitigation and HP? Chances are you will need those health potions as you chip away at high life enemies and bosses, because even with a crap load of HP, PoE on average tends towards dishing out a lot of hurt at the higher levels.

Bottomline: don't judge the performance of your build or the balance of the game until you've beaten it. Because almost all PoE players get a rude awakening around the 80% to 90% completion mark of the campaign. Enemy damage goes up up up, and health goes up, and many build are not prepared for the sudden spike. Which is why the best advice for new PoE players is to focus on a big life pool, because it makes that transition from the campaign to the end game a little less painful (or demoralizing, depending on how far out of whack your build is.) Many people just max out damage through the whole game because they don't see the danger or the challenge of enemies, and then *BOOP*, they cross this magical line in the campaign where the enemies are closer to end game difficulty and they suddenly go "my build is fucked."

FWIW, when you run into Kitava for the first time, that should be your signal that the game is shifting gears and going to get harder. If you find the first Kitava fight difficult in the slightest, start planning on re-prioritizing your build based on what didn't go well. (Was getting one shot, swarmed by normal mobs and slain, fight took 10 minutes because your damage was so low, etc...) If you breeze through the first Kitava fight with no real problems, just pay attention to the kind of hits you start taking from later bosses. Because by the time you fight Kitava the 2nd time, you'll basically be at starting map enemy difficulty, and if you're struggling there.....it will only get harder.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:38:46 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 19, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »

Synthesis

From the trailer, reverse breaches and more build-a-dungeon shenanigans. Also more crafting it seems, neat!

Edit:

Also new supporter packs, I thought my love of the shaper portal would last forever, but that goddamn sunspire minx just had to walk in and twirl that stunning eclipse shaped ass :V
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:23:58 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 21, 2019, 11:37:35 am »

Looks great - not quite as exciting as betrayal in terms of 'new' content, but the spellcaster overhaul sounds great. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 21, 2019, 11:44:13 am »

Man I'm so far behind the last like 4 updates. I'm not going to have any clue what's going on the next time I get around to playing.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 26, 2019, 02:14:52 am »

The new Zana model has, uh, energy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 26, 2019, 03:06:11 pm »

Doesnt seams that interesting to me, so will skip this league. Grim dawn new expansion should be release next month, and also torchlight frontiers alpha so a lot of arpg games to play.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:33 pm »

... and also torchlight frontiers alpha so a lot of arpg games to play.

Just for the record, that's Perfect World flogging the IP off to a vassal studio; Runic got shut down after PW shovelware'd Hob into release.

-----

Betrayal was merely okay for me.  I spent a lot of time avoiding it in maps, as the gank factor was just too high; got my Betrayal flavoured challenges done by grinding A9 Foothills.  Some of the rewards were neat, but it took a lot of fiddling to set up a safehouse with good rewards.  And that Catarina fight can go die in a manure fire.  I beat her with a jugg, so I was never really in danger of dying... but I couldn't tell what the hell was going on for most of the fight.

I chafed at the time costs with the new order around dailies, as it meant running 5 maps to do all my masters, instead of X wee side areas plus a freebie map from Zana.  There were also some issues around dailies landing on maps I didn't have in SSF; my summoner lost the momentum of first league week to that curse.

I spent most of the league selectively targeting content to sort out challenges and keep my login time moderate.  I suspect that problem will only magnify with Betrayal going core and having Another New System for the next league.

-----

The Wraeclast outpost of Nist Akath is still puttering along... same ol' cats-herding-cats situation.  PM me or Aklyon if you're interested.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100