Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 237758 times)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1440 on: February 28, 2019, 05:49:40 am »

... and also torchlight frontiers alpha so a lot of arpg games to play.

Just for the record, that's Perfect World flogging the IP off to a vassal studio; Runic got shut down after PW shovelware'd Hob into release.

Yes and no. The studio Echra that is making TLF  was formed from some of runic people during their development of Hobs, including Max Schaefer, Matt Uelmen , also a lot of people from blizzard north that worked on diablo 2 (over 10 people are from blizzard north)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:09:54 am by ragnar119 »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 09, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »

So, it went live without much trouble, played some last night and today, about 8 hrs total, up to act5 with my templar.

New skills are a blast to play early on, not sure how much lategame viable but we'll see. Storm burst feels like a fun to use lightning tendrils, has nice range and the channel isn't too much of an issue as a second or two is enough to clear most packs. Divine Ire on the other hand is amazing, the clear is reasonable with a single stage of less than a second charging clears most things and multiple stages chunking bosses in a very satisfying manner. The gameplay isn't as dynamic as most of the clear speed meta monsters out there but that isn't much of an issue for me.

League itself is somewhat confusing to explain and to get into, but once you play around a bit with it, it becomes fairly intuitive for the most part, with a few problematic spots from time to time. The short of it is, maps before maps, every zone you can talk to cavas and do a quick run trough a fragment to activate the spots, if you activate even one you get to keep the shard as a puzzle piece of sorts (up to 10, which is kinda low imo). You don't need to pick up shit as it drops out at the end kinda like incursions and clearing things isn't that important anyways, especially early on when you're missing damage, by mid story it's fairly easy to activate all the nodes and clear most of the map before it collapses on you. You then take these puzzle pieces and arrange them in the nexus to create further chains that you can run for the loot they have, or, more importantly to get to randomly spawning nodes on the board that have extra loot kinda like Delve nodes do. It's about as quick or as slow as you want it to for the most part since pieces once set have several charges before they turn into the race against the collapse runs (and even then, you usually have enough time to clear some packs before it dies on you).

Overall, fairly enjoyable so far, we'll see how it keeps my interest once betrayal bullshit gets introduced in act9 and the various masters start vying for my time come maps.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:04 pm »

I'm not having much fun with the Memory Nexus. The in-map memory fragments are kind of fun to run, they remind me a lot of Incursions, just longer and with less rewards. The actual Nexus is very boring to me. I'm also having a rough time with maps this league, haven't been able to get past T4/5 maps and I've run a couple hundred. Super unlucky, I suppose.

This is my first time really putting time into a league that has all the new masters and mechanics enabled, so that's the main attraction to me. Delves and Incursions are a ton of fun!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 17, 2019, 04:38:22 am »

I'm not having much fun with the Memory Nexus. The in-map memory fragments are kind of fun to run, they remind me a lot of Incursions, just longer and with less rewards. The actual Nexus is very boring to me. I'm also having a rough time with maps this league, haven't been able to get past T4/5 maps and I've run a couple hundred. Super unlucky, I suppose.

This is my first time really putting time into a league that has all the new masters and mechanics enabled, so that's the main attraction to me. Delves and Incursions are a ton of fun!

Yeah I don't think it's one of their best leagues. I've found that you've got to chain up a considerable amount of modifiers (which end on a square with the synthesised chests) to get some good rewards. I'm also not really a fan of the fading mechanic - so many times I've gotten trapped and it's felt a bit unfair. Still, it's always nice to have something else to have a go with.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 17, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

The nexus really can be a mess.  Out of my ten fragments none of them went a certain direction.  I built towards a reward node about 3 tiles away from the nexus only for it to despawn while I was doing the first node of the path.  Seems like a lot of maintenance to maximize reward.  You need new memories to replace old ones you placed in addition to ones needed to reach new reward mems, and you can only hold about 10.  Meanwhile you need a running inventory of synth gear to combine to get... something, I'm sure.

Though TBH I've just started playing the game altogether in this league.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

Yeah, I've run into issues later on as well, mostly due to fucked Betrayal implementation (basically, every first encounter with the syndicate in the zone causes a several second freeze, and if it's intervention you're pretty much just dead in that time) which isn't an issue most of the time but then you just sorta arbitrarily drop dead every now and then, which makes it rather disheartening to continue playing.

The nexus can be a mess but I've had some fun puzzling the thing out, as before, a nice change of pace from the mindless grind.

Divine Ire still going strong tho, not sure how much I'll stick with the league in the end but I might take this build to shaper finally (got fairly close in delve but sorta lost interest at 3 fragments collected)
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 17, 2019, 07:00:17 pm »

My trash noob build (Marauder into Berzerker) revolves around Molten Strike, so far with the ancestral support and the rapid triple attack support.  I also have anger and herald of ash, and two totem summons, the holy fire one and a vaal ancestor totem.

I'm pulling 1.6k DPS according to the game, and the totems roughly match that.  But I'm lacking a good bit of HP and defense.  Resists are near max but I only have armor and 1.4k HP.  I just started act five.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 26, 2019, 07:35:18 am »

I'm kinda done with PoE for the time being. The last fix didn't really fix anything for me, it only made maps with betrayal encounters load much longer, the first gank squad appearance still completely freezes the game and most of the time now kicks me back to the login screen. In the last four days every single session has ended with me getting pissed off at losing time and progress from constant disconnects and just turning the damn thing off.

It's been almost a month since the league started, if they haven't fixed this shit by now, I doubt they will anytime soon.

It's a shame too since my alt bane witch has been pretty fun to play.
AS - IG

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 01, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

Have you tried switching servers for the disconnects and lowering graphics for the freeze? 
Been playing and my potato PC does stutter with betrayal assasionation atempts, but i never got a DC, crash or antything like that.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 02, 2019, 04:14:14 am »

The issue is in the code as the betrayal encounters try to load a huge chunk of resources the moment they spawn and for whatever reason that locks up the game. Folks say that having an SSD deals with the issue, but then there's people with SSDs who have the problem still and folks without who don't. There's an apparent fix where you gotta set the CPU priority for PoE in the task manager every time you start the game but at this point I can't be bothered with that shit.

Maybe it'll get fixed sometime down the line or maybe PoE isn't playable on my laptop anymore, I don't particularly care anymore, Grim Dawn is just as fun and doesn't have these issues (nor does your survival depend on your latency).
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 21, 2019, 04:28:27 pm »

LEGIOOOOON

tl;dr

New league looks nice, but more importantly a YUGE rework of pretty much all melee combat, both on the player side and on the mob side. Hits now conform to their animations and dodging them is much easier. Targeting was reworked, so there's no more namelock. Bunch of new skills, one of them is a fucking dash which even has functionality simialr to the dodge from DS3 in terms of how it's directionality works. Rework of how some of the damage types work (physical is stunny, elemental is less stunny), rework of the accuracy and evasion mechanics. There's also animation cancelling, so it's become way closer to something like DS in terms of how the combat works.

Basically, holy crap so much crazy new stuff. And it will all be for nothing if the betrayal lag hasn't been fixed yet :V
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:40:36 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03:25 pm »

League is super simple it seems like, it's just a Breach that spawns Essence-trapped monsters that you wack instead of click on to open... nothing wrong with that, but those melee changes... wow. I'm so excited!

I'm also really excited about the new jewels, which is weird because individual items have never done that to me:

So the way this works is that it replaces your passive skills with different ones within the radius of the jewel. The nodes you get are random, but they're indicated by the flavor text on the jewel - the "5173 sacrificed" in the example is the seed value for the replacement nodes. I'm assuming that there's not only vaal versions of the tree, but that the other unannounced jewels work in the same fashion. The economy around items like this seems like a bit of a nightmare (for starters, how are you going to know if your jewel is good and worth trading without having access to every possible jewel slot it could be in to check?), but the actual impact of this is like nothing we've seen before. Customizable trees? Yes, please!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:07:09 pm by Rex_Nex »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:19 am »

Let us know how the melee rework shakes out. I'd like to get back in to PoE but it's an ordeal after a year or more without playing. If the melee rework is a blessing I'd like to know before hand, so I don't spend a whole day getting reacquainted with PoE only to find it needs yet more time to cook.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 23, 2019, 02:46:42 pm »

New league looks great - I didn't like the shattered memories one that much in the end; quickly got tedious and the rewards just weren't there.

Really looking forward to a melee overhaul, although I have to say that I wish there was a way to sort of...skip the early quests. I don't know if I can face going through all of the drudgery of finding rhoa nests and all that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 08, 2019, 09:20:55 am »

League's out, put in a couple of hours, up to act 3 atm. Doing an ED/Contagion trickster, mostly because I really liked bane last league but never really got anywhere with it because of the incursion issues. Seeing how Occultist and bane both got hit hard with nerfs this is the next best thing that plays somewhat similarly, prolly gonna do something melee afterwards, maybe check out dual strike or frost blades since those have been long time favourites of mine.

The league itself is pretty fun, unless it crashes when interacting with the obelisks, which seems to vary between people, but for me it's been about a third of obelisk activations that crashed the game. So overall I'd say it's pretty nice but give it a few days maybe until they iron out most of the bugs, or if you don't mind skipping the league mechanic for now and just playing with the cool new shit until it's fixed.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100