Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 236495 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1455 on: June 09, 2019, 11:29:08 am »

Also dived into the new league. Obelisks are fine, but not worth jumping back into just for them alone - it does feel you can get good loot quite easily though which is nice. My first obelisk gave me a full set of roughly appropriate rare gear, and each one you're getting a good few currency items too.

Got to say I haven't found the Melee changes amazing - it's a solid improvement for bosses/bigger enemies as you can actually dodge their attacks now, and the whole 'all melee attacks hit enemies in arc' sounds good in practice, but I'm not sure in reality.
The arc can sometimes be a bit inconsistent, and that stacks with accuracy as well which means your damage can vary quite a lot. It also seems that melee is a bit slower now (or maybe much more reliant on attack speed?). All it means is that area of effect/multi strike skills are still better, but that single target skills sometimes hit adjacent enemies.

Overall, it just doesn't make that much of a difference in a game all about spamming and chaining skills for screen clearing. I'm sure it's made a few pure melee builds a bit more viable and it has made boss fights slightly more interesting, but it's not as game changing as I thought it might be.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 09, 2019, 02:25:24 pm »

I'm a bit torn on the melee. On one hand, the whole "you hit every monster your weapon swings through" wasn't at all impactful. On the other hand, the monster re-balance felt really good in Act 1, and I hope they finish up the rest of the acts in the same fashion. I also feel like a lot of the small tweaks worked out really well to bring the early game up to date - melee attacks don't feel like I'm hitting with a wet noodle anymore, dash and leap slam make the first few acts really engaging, and overall I just think that a new player is going to find a lot more to like.

They also buffed rare monsters' HP by about 50%, and it feels really bad. I think it was the wrong decision. Even as a veteran player who is playing a decent build with reasonable enough luck with weapon drops, killing some of these while leveling took eons, and the rewards for doing so just aren't there. Spending several minutes chipping away at Stinkhuge the Evertanky and being rewarded with a nothing but a blue pair of mittens and a dozen white mobs worth of XP is not worth my time.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 11, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »

I'm a bit torn on the melee. On one hand, the whole "you hit every monster your weapon swings through" wasn't at all impactful. On the other hand, the monster re-balance felt really good in Act 1, and I hope they finish up the rest of the acts in the same fashion. I also feel like a lot of the small tweaks worked out really well to bring the early game up to date - melee attacks don't feel like I'm hitting with a wet noodle anymore, dash and leap slam make the first few acts really engaging, and overall I just think that a new player is going to find a lot more to like.

They also buffed rare monsters' HP by about 50%, and it feels really bad. I think it was the wrong decision. Even as a veteran player who is playing a decent build with reasonable enough luck with weapon drops, killing some of these while leveling took eons, and the rewards for doing so just aren't there. Spending several minutes chipping away at Stinkhuge the Evertanky and being rewarded with a nothing but a blue pair of mittens and a dozen white mobs worth of XP is not worth my time.

Melee definitely feels better, I just think it was a bit over-hyped.

I actually don't mind the buff to rare monsters - sometimes they had so little health I wouldn't even notice them. Now once I've zapped the rest of the screen they're still hanging about and getting in my face a bit more. It's my big problem with PoE - it's either way too easy and you just zoom through or you hit a wall and end up dying 50 times in a row - not syaing this fixes the problem, just might help make the curve a bit better.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 20, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »

I am Jack's Lack of Enthusiasm.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 20, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »

That said, the changes to master missions are amazing and incredibly welcome. Instead of forcing you to run maps that rolled a master once or twice a day you now accumulated two missions every day for each master and you can run them whenever (on a map of your choosing), with no upper limit on storage. So you can easily just binge the game on weekends without worrying about missing out on stuff like the temple or delve.

Also changes and buffs to assasin are welcome since it's one of my favourite classes.
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 31, 2019, 06:10:01 pm »

Yeah, it's another league where I'm more excited for the misc changes than the actual league. I mean, a tower defense could be fun, but it probably will just be way too slow for the current pace of the game. No league content has ever involved standing in one place so long, so it's an odd juxtaposition with the rest of the game being faster than ever before. No way to know for sure without trying it, but I'm foreseeing a lot of people ignoring the content when one tower defense section could reasonably take longer than some people are clearing entire maps.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 16, 2019, 01:59:50 am »

Well, it's time. Path of Exile 2. (Also a mobile game title to go along with it.)

It certainly looks better. If a bit all too familiar. Not going to lie, looking back at all I've accumulated in PoE it feels weird to walk away from it all. Makes me glad I didn't go apeshit on the MTX. Also makes me wonder if GGG is going to work the monetization even deeper in to PoE 2 than it already is in PoE.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:23:45 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 16, 2019, 06:15:12 am »

"We're using the same engine and graphics and spells as Path of exile, but there is a new campaign, what should we name it ?"
not Path of exile 2.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: November 16, 2019, 06:24:00 am »

I haven't watched the keynote address or anything yet, but apparently? all your MTX from PoE are going to carry over. If so that is a big motivator for me to try it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: November 16, 2019, 06:40:26 am »

"We're using the same engine and graphics and spells as Path of exile, but there is a new campaign, what should we name it ?"
not Path of exile 2.

Graphics engine is getting a complete overhaul, as is the skill tree.
Plenty of other games have built sequels using the exact same engine as the previous game, and many of them reused far more assets than PoE2 will. I'm willing to let them have this one.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 16, 2019, 07:57:17 am »

Yeah, as long as it is good I wouldn't have minded them using the same engine and assets. But since it looks like they're actually reworking those...

Apparently it comes out in 2021. Next month we'll get Metamorphosis League and the Conquerors of the Atlas sort-of-expansion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 16, 2019, 11:04:50 am »

Shit looks great, one of my biggest gripes was having to level trough the same stuff every time, now that we can choose between different stories for a different leveling and class experience whenever we feel like it and still end up at the same (well, it's completely different from 3.9) fairly fun and engaging endgame that gripe is kinda adressed.

Metamorph league looks pretty sick too. First we had pokemon league and now it's a combiner wars league. I wonder which 90's anime they're gonna crib from next. I hope it's gonna be Sailor Moon tbh, random schoolgirl encounters that power up into super boss fights would be pretty dope.
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 19, 2019, 01:18:57 am »

I just got around to taking a peek at the official trailer for it and my predominant feeling was one of confusion-- I saw absolutely nothing in there that actually looked new to me, if it weren't for the narration/text. Sure, some of the units, skills, etc. looked new, but nothing that couldn't be explained away by saying it's from a future league.

Reusing assets is one thing, but I'd at least do some unimportant but obvious changes to the UI or something so it's immediately evident you're looking at something different.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 19, 2019, 02:39:00 am »

Yeah it's confusing.

Is it a true sequel just run through the same engine/launcher?
Is it just a different set of acts that get you to the same endgame stuff as PoE1?

It looks half expansion half sequel and yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100