Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 236510 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 02:50:30 pm »

I'm seriously drawn to the game simply because of the skill gem and passive skill tree systems. They basically took two of my favorite systems from the Final Fantasy games (and probably something else before them that I don't know about), made them even bigger, and put them in a completely different game type, then made it free to play.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 02:56:00 pm »

And also changed your starting position based on class.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »

Well, I was thinking the materia system for skill gems and FFX's sphere grid for the passive skill tree (which had different characters start in different places, like PoE's (edit: except for the "expert" version, which I'm just now learning about... that's really odd)). Now that I think about it FFXII and XIII/XIII-2 had sphere-grid derivatives too... I guess that was less than clear.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:16:06 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:11 am »

The more I play this the more I'm drawn to a certain aspect of it: the difficulty. Mainly in that making the "wrong" choices for your character builds has an immediate instead of long-term effect if you're not prepared to handle it. I've done that with one character so far.
You can easily respec though, so there's no way to "destroy" a character by long leveling. And you can try different builds on the same character too, it makes it very pleasing to me.

Meanwhile I've been playing hardcore only lately. Four characters so far. I've managed to survive until the end of Cruel difficulty with a ranger (level 34), my templar elemental assassin build survived to 25 and others were less lucky.

By the way, I love how my witch died.

I've picked Chaotic Inoculation (which gives you +80% energy shields but you get only 1 hp max). I was killing different monsters when I picked up unidentified flask.
*Many of you could have guessed what happened next*.
I pick that mana flask up, quickly identify it without reading its description, wear it. Next fight? Next fight I cast a few spells, drink from a flask and... A big RESURRECT button hovers in front of my face, good bye hardcore.

Yes, that flask had "takes 15% of restored mana from life" effect, how sweet :P. So a lesson for you folks: if you play CI witch, ALWAYS read item and flask effects before equipping/using them :D.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:55:11 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 06:33:41 am »

Ohai, caustic flasks. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 07:55:39 am »

Oh wow, good bye hardcore marauder lvl 27.

Kamikaze bosses are no joke. It was something around 1000 pure dmg :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »

lolz I have died in some epic ways...luckily and rather amazingly my first character is still alive...my witch who was a summoner and I respecced into an elementalist on a skill reset.

EDIT:

Pro tip: Don't play path of exile on hardcore when your room mate is streaming netflix/hulu

It causes massive lag that makes you lose characters (just lost my witch that I have had for about 2 months -.-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:18:52 pm by dennislp3 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 01:23:52 pm »

I play ice summoner witch, it's amazing. Multishot empowered freezing pulse kills all minor monsters, while my exploding skeletons take down any boss. Even the totem which pushes everything away and distracts it is no longer needed :).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »

Yeah mine was fire summoner...thinking of making a more specialized ice/shock witch or an HP regen tanky marauder...

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 05:08:11 am »

I'm mainly playing as a tank Marauder with Blood Magic, loads of health and health regen stuff and some 2hand damage bonuses. On ruthless act 1 at the moment, and I've been using this axe since early Cruel act 2. It kills every basic enemy in one hit, as I use Heavy Strike combined with Added Fire Damage + Increased Elemental Damage and Stun support gems. Then I also have Sweep combined with Increased Accuracy and Life gain on Hit (heals me really well against groups of enemies), Dominating Blow with Added Fire damage and Increased Elemental Damage, Rejuvenation Totem, Molten Shell, Anger aura and some other spells. I have +800 max hp, I regen probably around 60-100 hp per second with my regen totem, I have a flask which heals 1080 HP over 10 seconds, 3 flasks which heal 480 hp over 7 seconds, and a Granite flask which gives me +10000 armor and +24% increased resistances for about 5 seconds.

Needless to say, I refuse to die to almost anything and I still deal tons of damage.

I also play a Templar Summoner, with Zombies, Skeletons and Dominating Blow. Unstable Minions and Necromantic Aegis, Wrath aura (lightning damage) and a rejuvenation totem. The zombies have also Added Lightning Damage and Melee Damage on Full life (Regen and energy shields help to keep this up) and my skeletons have Added Lightning Damage. It is quite cool too, especially with Vulnerability curse. Enemies that aren't resistant to lightning tend to fall quickly to my personal army.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:42:33 am by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:17 am »

Yeah I had a shield based marauder that was upwards of 200 HP per second regen...didnt have regen totems at the time.

Resolute technique + 6 endurance charges + uber regen...I was pretty much god....then I got stuck on a corner and died...great bug to have happen and get surrounded and pwned

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:44 pm »

i am loving this game and hating it. I hate because i keep crashing to desktop over and over, sometimes so bad i have to hard restart the thing. I have done the packet check and updated my divers, etc. This shouldnt be happening on this computer, its newer and has all good parts. nVidia GTX 460 gpu should be able to handle this fine.

I just hope my crash logs help this fix this eventually, but not sure how many times I want to restart to play this. wish it wasnt this way.
I got nothing

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

It looks like this game dislikes certain videocards because I run it without any CTD on my Geforce 9600, and my friend with much better ATI card crashes every hour.

Well, closed beta :). They need to polish their engine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »

It's actually got pretty detailed graphics, not that the camera lets you see much of it.
A 460, barring other errors, is more than enough, though.
Are your graphics drivers up to date?
Is your graphics card overclocked? (A lot of cards come factory overclocked -- to this end I used to have a 470 that I had to manually underclock because it crashed itself whenever it did anything that put much load on)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:18:33 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »

yeah on my old laptop I ran it fine with a 9600 and now I run it on my new computer with a GTX 570. I heard someone else in game having issues with a 460. The general response is that the 400 series is a bit touchy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100