Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 237773 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »

40 minutes left until the open weekend =3
Shadow is released right now, though~
Send a message thing @Atorek if you want to say something to mein Shadow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »

Ping.
Open Weekend is started.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »

I assume you're playing in hardcore league?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »

No, I'm too terrible at staying alive as Shadow to do that (meaning that I haven't died yet but am losing hella lot more health than witch was). I'm in Default.

And i wouldn't get to see the ridiculous chat of Open Weekend in hardcore.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:12:18 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »

Yeah all that spam btw Alkhemia I'm a Witch, taking a break but I'll be on later
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 08:21:20 pm »

I am Deon_Denton and Deon_Urist, add me as a friend :).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:33:35 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 01:41:44 am »

I'm liking it more than I thought I would. So many clever little things going on, from the skill gems that level up, to the flasks, to the way sockets work. It's really nice how the game has very few restrictions on what you can do.

The area design style reminds me very much of Titan Quest, which I found kinda dull. But I like the gritty, primitive look of it. Uniques require some thinking about how to handle them, just like D2, but it feels a little bit more lethal. Playing Shadow right now and I'm just kiting things and throwing down traps, spamming some Ice Pulse, or I go in with dual daggers.

I keep going "Yeah I'd probably buy this" but then remind myself it's free to play. As a SP game/thing to do with friends for shits and giggles, I think it's pretty sweet all around, you seem to get a full Diablo experience in a F2P game. The fact everything is an instance except hubs really kind of ties the solo/mp thing together.

So yeah, thumbs up. It doesn't have the sheer production quality of D3, voice acting, ect.. and like Titan Quest I feel there's just a lot of repetitive open area...but unlike Titan Quest it seems to change looks and enemies more frequently. (Thank God.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:56:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 07:14:32 am »

I'm liking it more than I thought I would. So many clever little things going on, from the skill gems that level up, to the flasks, to the way sockets work. It's really nice how the game has very few restrictions on what you can do.

The area design style reminds me very much of Titan Quest, which I found kinda dull. But I like the gritty, primitive look of it. Uniques require some thinking about how to handle them, just like D2, but it feels a little bit more lethal. Playing Shadow right now and I'm just kiting things and throwing down traps, spamming some Ice Pulse, or I go in with dual daggers.

I keep going "Yeah I'd probably buy this" but then remind myself it's free to play. As a SP game/thing to do with friends for shits and giggles, I think it's pretty sweet all around, you seem to get a full Diablo experience in a F2P game. The fact everything is an instance except hubs really kind of ties the solo/mp thing together.

So yeah, thumbs up. It doesn't have the sheer production quality of D3, voice acting, ect.. and like Titan Quest I feel there's just a lot of repetitive open area...but unlike Titan Quest it seems to change looks and enemies more frequently. (Thank God.)
And it only has 2 acts now. There will most likely be more when it is released to open beta.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:28 am »

They're planning at least 3 acts (and to add the act two boss) for the open beta. I think they mentioned somewhere they'd like to have some voice acting eventually too, but I'm not sure there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 10:25:10 am »

So, this piece of shit wants me to download over 3 gbs in one session, at maximum speed, without any way to regulate the speed, thus making even browsing impossible. And if I stop the download, all downloaded info gets wiped. Fuck this.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

I found the graphics to be buggy on my fairly modern and powerful system.
I got nothing

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »

I've played a bit, not convinced. Sure they have some interesting mechanics, but overall i dunno, it feels clunky, unresponsive, bland.

I probably won't play this.

Edit : also, the graphics are 3d but since the camera and terrain are pretty much like in Diablo 2, it feels like 2d graphics would have been a better choice.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:36:25 pm by Sirian »

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 07:28:43 am »

I've played a bit, not convinced. Sure they have some interesting mechanics, but overall i dunno, it feels clunky, unresponsive, bland.

I probably won't play this.

Edit : also, the graphics are 3d but since the camera and terrain are pretty much like in Diablo 2, it feels like 2d graphics would have been a better choice.

On the contrary, and denzi will probably love me being contrary here. I feel that 3d is the perfect choice, given that it's mostly there to support the shadows.

And the shadows in this are fucking amazing, this is the first 3D game I've ever played where the shadows just FELT right, and also didn't lag my system horribly. They aren't too hard, they aren't too soft, they are literally just there being insanely good mood enhancing shadows.

More than that, the random generation needed for this game, and it is quite well random, would require a much lower fidelity 2d style than seen in something like Planescape, or Icewind Dale (IE the only really pretty, high fidelity 2D games I've played.) More than that it would be much harder in 2D to do the fucking shadows seen in this game. Seriously they are amazing, and I keep dwelling on it, but they are fucking amazing and the first shadows that have ever looked and felt right. The game is at very least graphically competent, and I'd say it's one of the first 3D games I've ever played whose artists seem to have mastered a thing called pallete control(The other ones being, the first STALKER in the later sections, and The Void.) Which means the atmosphere is just astounding. I saw my first repeat tileset at the end of act 2, it was actually something that was only noticeable because we(me and denzi) had just been talking about how this game was like the polar opposite of diablo 2 and Titan Quest, and featured ridiculously little straight repeat tilesets.

As far as gameplay goes, I could see this game being hell with even the slightest amounts of lag. Though it's been surprisingly well behaved as my internet has been going all the way to the asylum for severe slovenly conduct as far as upload rates go. Something of note, if you are playing a melee class, you absolutely need some accuracy gear or passive skills otherwise you will miss half the time, making the game seem incredibly unresponsive as you just kind of swing for no damage or response. Also you will miss a lot at lower levels even taking accuracy passives and gear.

The final dungeon in the second act was ridiculous and it actually saw me and denzi running from a few fights to get to the next set of stairs. Not because the combat was too difficult, but because there was just SO much of it. Where as in other dungeons you'd get a chance for a breather and a chance for mana to regen. The manapots on my witch who has everything within reach of level 24 for mana regen and mana size, sat empty for the last half of the final dungeon. It was kind of a let down that they didn't have a final boss at the end of act 2 after the big show at the top of the pyramid, but beta is beta.

My hope for the future of this game is that they do the FtP model well, and don't go full content gating, or anything like that on release. Vanity and grind cutting time saving stuff  like skins, armor dye, orbs, respecs for when you get stupid, things like that are fine. But never anything like a you don't get act 4 until you pay 12.95. I hated that in LotRO and DDO. I also hope they don't do a timer system like DFO(dungeon fighter online) or spiral knights.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »

As far as I know, the devs have said that stuff you can buy is strictly cosmetic, so there probably won't be respec points for purchase (at first at least, and they wouldn't be unfair) but you can be certain that there won't be any Pay 12.95 to get to Act 4. As this is a starting indie company, I doubt they want to give the finger to their fans.

And yeah, the shadows are goddamn gorgeous.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

The more I play this the more I'm drawn to a certain aspect of it: the difficulty. Mainly in that making the "wrong" choices for your character builds has an immediate instead of long-term effect if you're not prepared to handle it. I've done that with one character so far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100