Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239515 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:11 am »

Kaom's Heart has no sockets, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:54 am »

I'm still pretty early on, this is what I have so far, in the interest of getting lots of survivability for soloing.  Now that I'm getting a better idea of how things work I'm not sure this is the most prudent way to go about things, especially the points in strength.  Doing pretty fine though in the actual game.  Spam Reave to clear packs of enemies, and dual strike drops most uniques in a couple seconds. 
Shoes...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:22 am »

Kaom's Heart has no sockets, though.
Kaom's Primacy, the axe, not the heart (though I could probably use that one too).

EDIT: Just as a visual, these are my passives at level 68.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:19:58 am by Karkov »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

Did path of exile ever fix the dodge build problem?

for those who don't know, how evasion worked is if you had a 50% dodge chance... You have a 50/50 chance to dodge.

If you dodge then your dodge chance goes down, then it goes down again, and again until you are hit.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:45 am »

Did path of exile ever fix the dodge build problem?

for those who don't know, how evasion worked is if you had a 50% dodge chance... You have a 50/50 chance to dodge.

If you dodge then your dodge chance goes down, then it goes down again, and again until you are hit.
That's not a bug. If you are refering to this system:

Evasion in PoE is not fully random.

Each entity in the world contains an 'evasion entropy' value, between 1 and 100. The higher this value is, the more likely they are to be hit by the next attack. The initial value is random.
Every time something attacks you, they calculate their chance to hit as a percentage. That value is added to your evasion entropy. If the result exceeds 100, you're hit, and 100 is subtracted from the value. If the value hasn't reached 100, you're not hit.

This is the mechanic by which streakiness is removed from evasion - it removes the possibility of failing to evade happening to come up several times in a row due to bad luck. Each attack has the correct chance to hit, and will hit you just as often as you'd expect in the average case using a purely random system, but the possibility of occasional but devastating non-average results - such as being hit by four consecutive attacks with only 10% chance to hit each - have been eliminated.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 04, 2013, 11:33:09 am »

That's not a bug

I never said it was a bug... it just KILLED the dodge set ups.

The bug is that it made one build useless several years ago.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:35:17 am by Neonivek »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:13 am »

How? If anything, it would make dodge builds actually viable, due to not getting killed constantly because of bad luck. The main reason why dodge builds suck in most games is that they are far too unpredictable.

You still get hit the same amount of times on average, you know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 04, 2013, 11:40:27 am »

Not when they change the dodge chance on you essentially burning the candle on both ends.

It helps low dodge but not high dodge.

But those are very specific builds.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:42:05 am by Neonivek »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:41 am »

???

There is no dodge evade chance changing.

Actually, there isn't even a dodge evade chance. It's more of a hit threshold that gets filled up and causes the attack to hit, and then get emptied.

EDIT: Or are you talking about some undocumented feature?
EDIT2: Oh, you're talking about dodge, not evade. I completely forgot that they were different mechanics. Replace all mentions of dodge in my earlier posts with evade. Dodge should be completely random. I see no mention of it being weighted somehow in here or on the wiki.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:49:40 am by cerapa »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:43 am »

No, I am talking about what is essentially how the dodge chance works.

I had to change my build back in the day when I learned that my build was useless, so I changed to a armor from dodge... and it was a vast improvement.

Mostly because what was better? being hit 50% of the time and taking 90% damage? or being hit every single time but taking a fifth of the damage?

I don't know if it is fixed now.

Then again... later on physical damage isn't going to be what kills you. It is the cheapo lightning damage that murders the game's skill factor.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:59:10 am by Neonivek »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 04, 2013, 11:58:56 am »

What do you mean by "essentially how the dodge evade chance works".

The reduction you were talking about simply does not exist. Are you talking about the evade chance formula vs armour damage reduction formula? Gonna have to do some math if you mean that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 04, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

Ehhh, don't bother. I must have got false info.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

Armor+health stacking? Tanky builds? Cleave and bloodmagic? Screw that.

I have only one way I enjoy playing - a speedy, dodgy ranger. No armor, no ES, just evasion+dodge+life+crit. The most useful skills I've found so far have been split shot+fork+pierce and rupture.

It doesn't matter how hard enemies hit if they can't hit me. It's not about the evasion, it's about the mobility. Can't touch me!

To be honest though, I've only had 1 post-release character run so far and I play exclusively on hardcore. I got really, really lazy in Ch. 3 and allowed a random powerful rare to get to me.

Never again. I WILL get into Merciless and Cruel  with this build, screw all the hyped tanky tanks. My inspiration is Windrunner from DOTA 2.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 04, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

Never again. I WILL get into Merciless and Cruel  with this build, screw all the hyped tanky tanks. My inspiration is Windrunner from DOTA 2.

"Your tiny featherless arrows can't hurt me, Sniper!"

Possibly the cutest character out of the DotA bunch by far.  I wish you luck on the build.  May your desync be low and your arrows fly true.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 04, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »

So what's this scion?  Is it a class?  Because I've never seen one and it's not in the character select.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100