Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239566 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #765 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »

Since Nemesis, the hardcore challenge leagues have seemed to have been a little ridiculous. Beyond does not look at all fun, yet it sounds interesting.
On the topic of uniques, I still haven't found one on Rampage and I just hit cruel. ;_;

Also, Ondar's Guile is part of the ultimate leveling set. If you can keep your ES up/get a decent amount of ES, the attack speed is really good. Though it gets frustrating past act 1, where the enemies start tearing through your ES.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 22, 2014, 02:16:27 pm »

I have to say I've found fun in this game again with this latest patch. Previously I hit a wall about halfway through Merciless Act 3 with my Rain of Arrows ranger, now with the balance changes and more potent flasks I can progress reasonably easily again. I've found three Masters so far and did one quest for each. They're fairly interesting and varied from what I can tell. I'm curious where this whole thing goes. Supposedly you can get like a secret base for your character or something? That sounds pretty cool.

GGG does reccomend players use /oos autoscripts and external disconnect macros in HC for such instances.
Were you using leap slam/infernal blow/GMP CoC spell spam?
Why the hell don't they have an in-game thing for this? Why doesn't the game /ooc automatically every three seconds or so? IMO if the developer recommends the use of a third party tool to make their game playable, there's a serious problem.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:18:02 pm by Sordid »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 22, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »

The whole point of 'GGG reccomends /oos macro for HC' was people being worried for getting banned because it was a script. So GGG said it wasn't something you'd get banned for and that was that.

Why doesn't the game /oos automatically every three seconds or so?
Because you aren't constantly serious-desynced enough to need it (if you are I'm not sure how your connection is working in the first place), and that would effect server performance quite a bit I'd expect, resyncing everyone with every relevant instance every 3 seconds and wasting a lot work on people in towns who don't need it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #768 on: August 22, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »

Yeah, but there's still no reason not to have a natively available resync hotkey. So you don't need to go and set up a third party program to stop yourself from dying when the server shits itself.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »

That'd work, yeah.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #770 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:57 pm »

On topic of technical difficulties, there's also that dreadful "Unable to MapviewOfFile"... Call me nagging or just not in time with newer technologies, but I accept the fact that I'll either just have to deal with this or finally upgrade to 64-bit OS with only very annoyed grumbling. :v

Still having fun though. Passed my 3td Loremaster mission and was pleasantly surprised at small but effective modification of original quest. And did I mention how neat the "currency" system is? Yep, great fun.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 22, 2014, 05:11:17 pm »

Its not so much a directly 64-bit thing as it is a lack of memory thing as far as I remember; since the PoE executable is 32-bit according to task manager.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 22, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »

Here's another new unique, Null and Void:

I haven't encountered any "Unable to MapviewOfFile" things and I'm on a 32-bit system. I do occasionally get "Unable to something-something pid 32" while loading that's really annoying.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

Vorici, I don't think you understand how Infernal Blow, Leap Slam and Ground Slam, Glacial Cascade and Multiple Projectile Poison Arrow work. I can't NOT turn half the map into jam on each hit.

Also, those gloves look amazing.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 22, 2014, 08:49:06 pm »

I think this was pretty nice for the one of the two chaos I've gotten in rampage so far, considering how the game has dropped almost everything but a unique (minion life, summon skeletons, summon spectre, animate guardian, animate weapon) in what feels like my luck trying to nudge me into making a second summoner.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 22, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »

Why doesn't the game /oos automatically every three seconds or so?

Because you aren't constantly serious-desynced enough to need it (if you are I'm not sure how your connection is working in the first place), and that would effect server performance quite a bit I'd expect, resyncing everyone with every relevant instance every 3 seconds and wasting a lot work on people in towns who don't need it.

The problem is that you very often don't know whether you're seriously desynced until you die from it. A hotkey only mitigates the problem, it doesn't solve it completely. To solve desync you'd have to keep resyncing periodically even when you don't need it because you don't know that you don't need it. And you have to resync often enough; make the interval too long and you can desync and die before the next resync happens. Would it affect server performance? Absolutely. Thought IMO I was actually pretty generous to the poor little servers with the 3 second interval, ideally I'd have the auto-resync run every second, or maybe even twice per second. Of course, at that point it just becomes a way of forcing the server to actually keep track of where shit is, which it damn well should have been doing in the first place. I don't understand why it's even a problem at all. The last game I vaguely recall having desync problems like this is Diablo 1 back in 1997. I don't think I've played an ARPG over the internet in the last decade that suffered from desync.

Of course, this would be easily solved by combining an automatic resync with another idea I posted a few pages back, namely handling movement and hit detection and things like that client-side when there's only one player in the game. I'm fairly sure solo players are a significant part of the player base, so switching them to offline mode when there's nobody else in the instance with them would free up a lot of server capacity that could then be used to auto-resync players who are actually playing in multiplayer.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »

-snip-
They have a large post on their Development Manifesto forum on this topic.
Personally, I don't really care. I've got a /oos macro and I've learned to identify when to use it. I've died to it, of course, but not in a while.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 22, 2014, 11:28:00 pm »

I think this was pretty nice for the one of the two chaos I've gotten in rampage so far, considering how the game has dropped almost everything but a unique (minion life, summon skeletons, summon spectre, animate guardian, animate weapon) in what feels like my luck trying to nudge me into making a second summoner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aura is a bad vaal result, because you still need mana/reserve to cast it, and you cannot link a reduced mana to it. The implicit mana regeneration is one of Sidhebreath's good qualities, because early on you need to resummon a whole lot.

Trading in new leagues tend to be cheaper than standard, because standard got massive inflation. I'd say 2 chaos is expensive for that amulet...

In other news, turns out it will be a multi-year grind for people with a life outside of PoE...
Reputation needed for Level 8
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:35:20 pm by kcwong »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:42 pm »

Not sure where you got the two from. It was one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #779 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:45 am »

Its not so much a directly 64-bit thing as it is a lack of memory thing as far as I remember; since the PoE executable is 32-bit according to task manager.
Dunno, official post on forums said it, yes, is because the lack of memory, but it also said the easiest workaround is more than 4gigs of RAM so 64-bit OS basically.  :(

Well, this usually happens to me only when I teleport with portal scroll from an instance to a town, might have to do something with that. I'll try that gc 2 command, see if it does anything to my Steam-bound client.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 100