Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Dwarf fortress was a ship...it would be the Titanic...  (Read 1421 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If Dwarf fortress was a ship...it would be the Titanic...
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »

Just lost one of my best forts so far to the greatest enemy to Dwarf-kind, Not magma, not Goblins, not undead raiders...water, Yes folks, my fortress pretty much sunk. Heres how it happened, I was going over Dwarf therapist, seeing the general mood was content, not sure why really but I decided it was time to kick that happiness up a few notches. I heard that waterfalls were a great mood raiser, so I created a decently sized statue garden, complete with masterwork engravings and other shiny bits.

I then designated the rim of the room for channeling, I pretty much planned on making a circular waterfall around the room, which would create alot of mist..or so I thought. I looked around and the only running water source was a nearby river, i carefully placed a floodgate,and assigned it to a lever in the dining room...turns out the lever or the floodgate weren't working, so it wouldn't open, i made a floodgate to prevent any..well...floods from occuring but I simply circumvented it because i am very impatient. This created a direct tunnel to my waterfall room with no safety measures...pshhhhh who needs em. As the water slowly drained down the tunnel i created I realized a horrible flaw, It was a running river, and I did not create enough space to hold the water alllll around the room, so naturally it flooded...but this flood was awful, it was fast, and couldnt be contained very easily but I managed to cordon it off with walls, sealing several dwarves whom drowned in their bed rooms, some with children  :'(, until I realized that another opening was near the water tunnel, and that my friends, rushed down my entire fortress.

My walls I created sealed the fate of the dwarves inside, but I created the Nobles rooms higher then any others, so they got out in time( I wish they hadn't). I watched in horror as my lower class dwarves drowned(I separated working class dwarves from nobles, to keep things more organized, so I guess ALOT like the titanic.) At any rate it was an amusing experience, trying to save those poor souls, but only the rich snobs made it to the safety of the above ground fort, where my military trains, so I abandoned it, I'm sure there might have been a way to the save the fort,but I couldn't think of any way to drain the rooms when the river was still rushing through it.

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwarf fortress was a ship...it would be the Titanic...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:41:40 pm »

Ah yes, I have lost many forts in the quest for indoor waterfalls. Always remember when dealing with ANY liquid: Make sure you leave a failsafe. There's very little hope of draining the room while the water is still flowing.

CollinVee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:04 am »

Congrats! You have just taken your firs steps in the name of !!SCIENCE!!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:22 am »

Congrats! You have just taken your firs steps in the name of ≈SCIENCE≈
Fixed.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:14:51 pm »

Congrats! You have just taken your firs steps in the name of SCIENCE

Fixed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:25:17 am »

It takes a lot of work to sink a mine...

You only made one mistake: YOU ABANDONED A PERFECTLY GOOD FORTRESS.
HOW DARE YOU.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:04 am »

The greatest fortress fall i had was like this:

The fortress was built in a glacier next to the artic sea, part underground and part excavated in ice. The fortress grow rich
and proud and everithing went well untl i breached the HFS by accident.

The a flame spirit went to the sea. Then the glacier melted and everybody died when the fortress sunk in the boiling sea.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »

I remember my first waterfall. One of my miner dwarves working on the water channel slipped on some water (because surprise surprise, I didn't build a floodgate beforehand. durrr.), fell one z-level, hit her head, and died. At the least, though, it didn't flood the fortress because I had it drain out into one of the underground caves. Sure, it ended up making a few cave creatures slip and fall and die, but who cares about them?
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!