Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are your prisons like?  (Read 9110 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are your prisons like?
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »

So, grrrrr. I set up prisons using restraints. I surround said restraint with a bed, a chair, and a table. The other spots go to two seperate food stockpiles. One is 2 squares, and accepts specific foods, say plump helmet. The other is 3 squares, and accepts any drink available within the fortress.

Now, despite marking the entire prison as restricted traffic (I would think the non prisoner dwarves would path to a non restricted pathing area stockpile long before the restricted one), my other dwarves just love to eat and drink at the well furnished prison. I could live with that for the most part, except for the fact that I can't seem to force my dwarves to ever stock the stupid drink stockpiles.

In my current fortress I have a 15x15 space, that I was able to fit 16 individual restrain sections into, with the above setup, and they ONLY stock the restraint area in the upper left corner of the room with booze. They ignore the other 15, sigh. Am I just missing something? What are your prisons set up like, to make it easy for your dwarves to survive their prison sentences?

(EDIT: P.S. I also have a good 70 or so idle dwarves, lots of buckets laying around, and fresh well water sources from an aquifer, and I STILL get some dehydration deaths, because my 'tarded dwarves don't feed/water the prisoners sometimes, despite having the labor turned on.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:14:54 pm by Walkaboutout »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your prisons like?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:28 pm »

A Silent Hill esque nightmare where they have to face horrific personal trials to be redeemed.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

Make the booze stockpile larger than 1x1, have them take from another better stocked booze stockpile, or just brew more booze that they have to store it there.  Restricted traffic zones won't effect their decision to drink from a particular barrel or to stock or not stock the stockpile.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

Easiest way is to setup your food stockpiles correctly.

Have 1 stockpile that accepts everything related to raw food like plants and meat, etc., except for prepared meals and drinks. You should be using a kitchen.
Have 1 stockpile that accepts nothing but prepared meals
Have 1 stockpile that accepts nothing but drinks.

For the prison room, I create a 1x10 strip food stockpile that only accepts prepared meals and a 1x10 food stockpile strip that only accepts drinks. Have each one take from the corresponding stockpile from above. Drink>Drink, Meal>Meal. Inbetween those 2 strips if a row of restraints I make them adjacent to each other.

stockpile = F
restraint = R
Code: [Select]
FFFFFFFFFF
RRRRRRRRRR
FFFFFFFFFF

The stockpiles will remain full since they take from the main stockpiles. None of the prisoners even get a little thirsty or hungry since the food is right next to them.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »

Club Fed, as it were.

Engraved & decorated everything. All the furnishings. Personal booze & ultra high quality prepared food stockpiles. Platinum doors, the works. ( And I usually lock the doors for their prison duration to keep random morons from camping out in their "cell," eating their food. Solitary confinement & they love it. )

It's the only way the common folk can live better than the nobles without the nobles going ape shit.

Without this mostly my experience has been death of prisoners due to neglect, so you have to have everything prepared well before hand.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »

I usually make only one booze stockpile that fills the whole room and then delete out the bits I don't want. That way the stockpile will usually only ever have one empty barrel. I tell that stockpile to take from my main one. Usually works pretty well.

But since lycanthropy, I make individual cells with a lockable door so I can isolate the weredwarves, and make them bookkeepers and such.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »

Bwahahaha Okay, I just figured out what was wrong with my booze piles. You'll all laugh at me. This is the first fort I've played in a long while, and I didn't recall clearly what happened in previous ones, but I knew I had had similar problems. Well, I donno what I did there, but I know what I did this time.

When I made all the 3 square booze piles (except for the one in the top left, which I did first, then took a break, and came back later), I was making animal stockpiles. Now, I knew that right after I finished designating. I just went in, disabled Animals, enabled Food, and set the drink only. Well...der. Animal stockpiles by default have "Max Barrels - 0". There was the issue, sigh. Let your mockery commence!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:39:07 pm by Walkaboutout »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:08 am »

My prisons don't exist. The dwarves either leave the fort before they really need a jail, or they just get beaten up.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:40:39 am »

There is no prison, there is only lava.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:57 am »

I only have 1 prison. Pretty much everyone is very happy, I have no problems fulfilling mandates and melt down the stuff, so no chance of bringing it to the depot by accident. I too have the problem that everyone seems to prefer to eat there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:55:05 am »

I just dig out a large room, with little notches in the side containing chains, plus a few cages. If anyone has a problem with eating, drinking etc in jail, frak 'em, don't care. My current baron likes millstones and crossbows more than anything in the world, so keeping him pleased and meeting mandates is very easy.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:56 am »

I still have to find a reason for having a formal prison at all. In my v.34 fort I never had a criminal, but in older forts I preferred to have several dwarves happy because of lack of punishment, than one stupid noble just mildly amused because of administering such punishment. Still, I have informal cells, mostly associated with hospital, for keeping suspicious fellows in there. They have the usual stuff (table, traction bench, bed), a lever which acts as a restriction order and a lockable door. I'm deliberating about installing some statues or chairs. Food can be thrown in through the celling.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:13 am »

I've put my jail cells near the entrance so they can also double as an early warning system, not that I have many prisoners, only the ocassional failed mandate, but my mayor has lately forbidden the export of coffins for the last two years, so......
Anyway, the cells look like this.....
Spoiler: The Cells (click to show/hide)

The chains are made of gold, three of the barresl are copper and one is silver, in a two tile food and one tile booze stockpile.
{and that retractable bridge is also made of gold, so when Father Goblinmas visits, he drops down to visit the 30 war grizzlies first.}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »

My prisons are very compact things.

Its a 3x3 cell, each cell able to hold 6 prisoners while at the same time supplying them with all of the food and drink they need.

On each wall are chains. In the very middle is a grate over water, pumped in from below by a pump. On the two middle tiles, right infront of the door and against the wall, on either side of the grates, are plump helmet stockpiles.

At no point do the prisoners ever get hungry or thirsty. They need to sleep on the floor and may complain about no well, but they will never die of starvation or thirst.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »

I have no need for jails......

I Have no Crime....

Urist McBig Brother is Watching.....

"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."
Pages: [1] 2 3