Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What are your prisons like?  (Read 9055 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: What are your prisons like?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »

Another potential problem with your booze stockpiles is that I don't think traffic designations are considered when picking which booze stockpile to go to.  Dwarves use straight line difference, through z levels, and only consider traffic when planning a route.  As a consequence my main booze stockpile is directly beneath my meeting area, and my prison and its booze stockpile is at the end of a corridor, a comparatively long horizontal distance from most dwarves.  This keeps my dwarves drinking where I want them to.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:16 pm »

I build a pretty elaborate prison happy rooms; platinum statues, gold wall grates, etc. etc.. Not because I need them but because it gives my minions something to do instead of hauling stone for the rest of their pitiful lives.

I usually try to keep the food and drink stock piles just a little less then what I need to store and keep some in the still and kitchen. Have to watch the kitchen a bit though. This tends to keep the stock piles full.

I recently finished the prison on my current fortress (which will probably be the last until the next update.. Yay minecarts!!), and wouldn't you know it... my baron up and gets himself killed. No more mandates. So unless someone throws a tantrum my prison will sit empty. Stoopid baron!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

A brief clarification of traffic designations is in order. Traffic designations have absolutely no effect on what jobs are taken by what dwarves. A dwar4f will take a job based on straight line, as the worm tunnels distance. Once a dwarf accepts a job, he must path to the job. Traffic designations will not stop him from getting to that job. If he must path through a bazillion restricted tiles to do so, he will.

Eating and drinking are jobs. When a dwarf needs to eat or drink, they will select the nearest destination, calculating distance as a straight line between the dwarf and the job. Only after the destination is selected does path finding take place. If a destination is right next to a dwarf, it won't matter that he must path 500 squares out of the way, across a waterfall, and through a field of restricted squares to get there. It is still the closest destination, as the game figures it when selecting such things.

You can use burrow to restrict what jobs a dwarf will accept (aside from civilian alerts, burrows don't restrict where a dwarf goes, just where they accept jobs) You could, for instance, create a burrow that includes your entire fortress, except for the jails. Put everyone in that burrow. They will no longer see "Eat" and "Drink" jobs originating from your jail.

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

My society relies more upon beatings than prisons,but the ones we do have are merciless.
Just chains on walls,no food.
No drink.
Locked in a cold,dark,damp room.
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 07:49:13 pm »

I have no need for jails......

I Have no Crime....

Urist McBig Brother is Watching.....

He's lying!  Don't listen to the man!  Dissidents are disappeared!  I have proof of secret government atom sma...

Sabreur has been struck down.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:50 pm »

0 z

# = bridge with open space below it
S = chain
. = floor
O = wall
Code: [Select]
###
#S#
###

-1 z

Code: [Select]
.O.

When a dwarf gets put into jail I retract the bridge and he falls down, because they cannot be released, they become a permanent feature in my statue garden.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:18 pm »

Dude, that's a gallows. Just a really, really slow one.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:24 pm »

I thought dropping creatures released them from chains?  Does it still work because it is only 1 z level?
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »

I chain them up in 1x1 rooms.

They broke the law; they don't get to be happy.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 03:18:24 am »

Everything is fine, the Fortress is wonderful, Urist McBigBrother is wonderful....

Sabreur Has Never Existed......

We have no ThoughtCrime.....

We have always been at war with the goblins....

We have always had peace with the Humans......

Urist McBigBrother is Watching....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:28:47 am by FalseDead »
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 04:47:57 am »

My cells are 2x3 rooms with basic amenities to ensure they don't starve - a bed, a well (Added after the death from thirst of a legendary metalsmith, and aided by my cell block being directly above the main reservoir), and a small food stockpile. It's high security, with any escapee having to break through the iron door of his cell, then the iron door of the cell block, then get through the guard captain's office before running into a steel door.

I am not above brutally murdering any dwarves that go berserk in their cells, either...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 05:00:07 am »

Nonexistant. There are no laws in my forts.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:27 am »

I put ropes around my food stockpil when lazy, sometimes I make many rooms with furniture and all. Usually I have nothing though. Its easy to forget.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 08:12:52 am »

Simple metal cages left out in the open. No matter rain or snow.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

Currently there are just two prisons.

One for Dwarves waiting to redeem themselves.

The other for notable prisoners of war, or normal prisoners about to be chucked into the moose pit.

The first prison is hardly befit the name of a prison, and is more aptly named guard duty. It consists of 3 brass chains in front of the main entrance, where any prisoners stand in the (literally) bloody rain guarding the fortress from the undead to earn their forgiveness. Longer sentence = Longer duty.
Silentthunders is pretty vampire/criminal free though, so I'm probably just going to assign captured merchants to guard duty.

The second is a large communal area where captured were-people, necromancers, merchant guards, siegers and leaders converse and enjoy the hospitality of the Dwarves (for various reasons), until I can complete building the grand towers for each notable member to reside in. The current tower under construction has been abandoned after the brutal murdering of the Dwarf necromancer responsible for the raven bomb disaster of 414 by a legendary miner.

*Note to any reading past the blocky text.
Restraints allow prisoners to walk any amount of z lvls above and below ground, as long as they stay within their 3/3 radius. Hence the tower.
Pages: 1 [2] 3