Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What are your prisons like?  (Read 9052 times)

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your prisons like?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:33 pm »

We are well fed on Plump Helmets, I love plump Helmets, I have always loved Plump Helmets, I have Always followed the law, I love Urist McBigBrother

Angel Of Death has never existed....

We have no ThoughtCrime.....

We have always been at war with the Humans....

We have always had peace with the Goblins......

Urist McBigBrother is Watching....
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »

I do not use prisons.  Dwarves get punished for irritating me, not the pissant noble who thinks he's running the place, and there are only two punishments for that: being burrowed under the atom smasher or magma exposure.

The closest thing to a prison is the mass pitting chamber where the cages of captured enemies are held until they are tossed down 5 levels to meet their ends at the hands of a dwarven warrior who is training. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35:50 am »

Simple 1x3 corridors with bed, chain and cabinet. They're usually next to my guard barracks and the barracks' food stockpile, not that I particularly care about starving criminals...

Although on the next iteration of my fortress design, I might go for a a food stockpile on top of a grate-covered water channel, surrounded with cabinet-chain-bed blocks in alcoves.
i.e.
Code: [Select]
=============
=0§­Æ=0§­Æ=0§­Æ=
=###########+
=0§­Æ=0§­Æ=0§­Æ=
=============

= = wall
+ = door
0 = bed
§ = chain
Æ = cabinet
# = grate (above water), food stockpile
That way, the prisoners would have access to all the basic necessities (food, water, bed, storage) without anybody having to actively feed them.
(You can have a food stockpile on top of a grate, right? :-\)

Heck, I might even implement that in my current fort.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 02:05:22 am »

No, you need to have a floor. You can use multilevelled prisons for that.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:09 am »

LMAO.

I see you guys could host breivik even better than Sweden does. Platinium chains, golden doors, food, booze... My prison is more Russia-styled. Iron chains, iron doors, water, wooden bed and chair. I did not have a single problem with unhappy dwarf.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:56 am »

Hm. Maybe I'll just put the food in the middle and channels on the other side of the "cells". That, or make only 1 grate per jail block and use the remaining 2 floor tiles for food.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:05 am »

My prison is more Russia-styled. Iron chains, iron doors, water, wooden bed and chair. I did not have a single problem with unhappy dwarf.
No, no.
Russian style would be more like 1x1 cell, 10 prisoners, preferably all in +steel chain+s, and maybe a bunk if they've been good.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:45 am »

Hm. Maybe I'll just put the food in the middle and channels on the other side of the "cells". That, or make only 1 grate per jail block and use the remaining 2 floor tiles for food.

Yep, I'd use one tile for food and one for booze, but then you wouldn't need water. Unless they wash themselves, which I'm not sure they do.

Russian style would be more like 1x1 cell, 10 prisoners, preferably all in +steel chain+s, and maybe a bunk if they've been good.

Russian prison cells are not that bad, they are also equipped with iron bucket.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »

I give them a 3x3 rooms, chain in the middle, bed in one corner and grated access to a water-channel underneath. If the bed, chain and door is decent-quality, they don't care about drinking stagnant water, and I've never had one starve. Trying to keep prisoners in booze leaves me with dead prisoners.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »

LMAO.

I see you guys could host breivik even better than Sweden does. Platinium chains, golden doors, food, booze... My prison is more Russia-styled. Iron chains, iron doors, water, wooden bed and chair. I did not have a single problem with unhappy dwarf.
Lead is better :|

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

I seldom use the justice system, but when I do, I often put the chain where the prisoner can reach the well.  Because there are many people coming to the well, someone always remembers to bring food.  A bed on the opposite side of the 3x3 "cell" completes the setup.  I only do this when I want to please a particularly nice noble by not delaying the punishment of a criminal.

One time I had four prisoners all awaiting punishment, for ignoring mandated manufacturing.  Of course none of the people who were sentenced had anything to do with the manufacturing in question.  The sentences demanded were rather long.  I built a prison with four chains and four beds, and hoped for the best.  Two of the four starved to death before their sentences were up.  The first to die was the eldest daughter of the noble who had demanded the punishment.  Needless to say he was more unhappy then than he had been before he got his way.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 06:48:43 pm »

I've had two types of prison in the past.

Most have been for people accused of production or export related crimes by nobles completely removed from reality. Since the prisons were built just to keep the noble happy, and since the prisoner generally was completely innocent, I made them nice 3x3 rooms with a high value chain, a bed, table & chair, plus separate 1x2 stockpiles for booze and food.

The last time I built a prison, however, it was for a vampire who had murdered several of my dwarves. He was my mayor and when I realized he was a vampire, I put a lever in a remote room, set it for only him, and put it on repeat. Then I locked the door once he was in there. Fast forward several months and I noticed that I had the liaison from the MountainHome hanging around my dining hall. I realized he wanted to meet with the mayor and couldn't, so I released the mayor. The liaison went to the mayor, the mayor's job changed to "conducting meeting" and he headed for his office, part of his suite of room in my bedroom level. I was watching him on the way when he suddenly stopped into a bedroom with a sleeping dwarf, and with the liaison standing there began to feed on the sleeper. So I ordered a militia squad to the room. they showed up and proceeded to stand around watching while the mayor finished draining his poor victim. Sheesh. At least they reported the crime and I had plenty of witnesses, but you'd think they might, you know, do something to stop the vampire?

So I convicted the mayor for that murder. But since I didn't have a prison set up, the sheriff just came along and slapped him around a bit. No lasting effect.

So I built a chain just outside the entrance to the fort and designated it as a prison. Then I convicted the mayor of every outstanding vampire murder, which gave him a nice long prison sentence. The next siege to come along solved my vampire problem.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 08:48:26 pm »

I now make complete rooms in my prisons that can be converted into a vampire bedroom with a locked door. If a criminal turns out to be a vamp, they get converted into my never sleep, never need to be fed bookkeeper or manager. Works great until they get a mood and then go insane.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:16 am »

Dude, that's a gallows. Just a really, really slow one.

They drop down into the dining room, so people come and feed them once in a while. Not many people get thrown in jail, might as well have some Fun with them.  :P

I thought dropping creatures released them from chains?  Does it still work because it is only 1 z level?

It still works, chains --being a close relative to the beard-- hold the creature in a 3x3x3 bubble of mind control.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:25 am »

Well, I find that my prisoners don't need booze. I give them a well, a bed and a food stockpile. They break my laws, they stay sober. Unless they're vampires, then they're brutally beaten by the sheriff and atom smashed or magma'd.
Pages: 1 2 [3]