Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0  (Read 32242 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:53:39 am »

It was the 100th year of Smata Xestsu, The Realm of Enchanting, and the beginning of the Second Age of Legends.  In the far northeast corner of the world lay the small dwarven civilization which called itself The Amazing Craft, a small society of 349 dwarves and a bobcat man.  Life was quiet for the civilization except for the occasional forgotten beast rampage in the deeps while the surface was peaceful for over 50 years after a roc attack during the days of the First Age of Myth.  The youngest dwarves started to grow restless though, as the Amazing Craft was small and isolated and they worried that they would slowly die out.  So an expedition set out and crossing a wilderness infested with alligators, giant dingoes and goblins, they settled at the volcano known as the Windy Cinder.  Calling themselves The Crafts of Soap, they established a settlement to bring glory to their remote civilization and demonstrate the great skills of all dwarvenkind.

Little did the dwarves know that not far to the north on the edge of the icy wastes was a tower of perversions and corruptions that was raised over 50 years earlier by the foul necromancer Kiwan Winebowls and his small band of twisted followers.

The beast has been reborn!

(Spoiler for original elephant index:)

Spoiler: Elephant 1.0 (click to show/hide)

I've restarted my old megaproject from 34.11, now in current 47.05 style glory.

This megaproject will be a grand colossus of the creature that strikes fear into all dwarves -- the mighty elephant.  Every megaproject needs to screw around with magma, so this elephant will spew magma from its trunk.  And to make things as dwarfy as possible, the main body of the elephant with be constructed of soap with gold-tipped tusks and ruby gem windows for eyes.

Year 103
Year 104
Year 105
Year 106
Year 107
Year 108

Here's the location of site:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Isoworld view of site:

Stonesense view of site (SE at top):

Prospector report:

Seed if anyone wants to play with the site:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:00:58 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject -- the Elephant of DOOM!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »

First part of the megaproject is marking off the space where the elephant will be.  This will require a 45x23 rectangle on the surface, and I found a good spot off to the left.  The corners are being marked with wooden ramps to serve as markers.  Underneath the spot, I have a rectangle of similar dimensions designated (but not dug yet) on z -2 and z -3 to mark an area where I will place the magma tank that will feed the elephant.  The northeast corner of this area also has a murky pool that will be pumped and drained.

I also looked down the magma pipe in the volcano to see what the sturcture was like down to the magaa see, and guess what I saw in the depths:

Now that is a beautiful sight.  However, as anyone who is familiar with candy canes knows, that looks like it could very well be a mixed blessing.  And those who aren't familiar don't need it spoiled.  ;)

So we've finished out spring.  I've started clear cutting where the base of the elephant will be but, it will probably be at least a year before any construction besides some basic scaffolding gets put in place.  I need time to make soap, and right now there are far more important tasks at hand.  I have cleared out a basic dirt road leading to the fort entrance though.  I think I will eventually pave the road with cinnabar blocks to give it a sort of red carpet look, and the base of the elephant will be paved over with a floor of gniess blocks.

The evil spot has already provided me with some fun.  Just as I was starting to strike the earth, a wolverine corpse sauntered by and picked a fight with my war dogs.  I quickly drafted all my dwarves into an emergency squad and fought off the wolverine, but the male war dog was grievously wounded, and died at the end of spring.  Shit.  That wolverine corpse will have the honor of being the first thing pitched into a magma incinerator.  I only hope the dog managed to knock up the female with spores before succumbing to it wounds, or I'll have to order some canine breeding stock.

Fortressdeath

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:35 pm »

Entirely out of soap?

Godspeed, man. Godspeed.

Seriously, eagerly awaiting the results.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »

Archers in the tusks!  8)
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »

a magma-spewing giant elephant

PTW

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »

You had me at the magma-spewing trunk.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »

Archers in the tusks!  8)

Oh cool, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the tusks.   :D

Fortressdeath

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »

You could probably use the same principle of magma landmines to avoid a pumpstack in the legs.

Side view:

Code: [Select]
pP~~#
###~#
  #~#
  #~#  ####
  #~#  #~~~ magma comes out here
  #~####~##
  #~~~~~~#
  ########

The idea is that you have a tower (imagine it like a water tower) that is higher than the output (in this case, the trunk). From the magma tower comes a pipe that goes to where you want.
The important thing is that your magma pumpstack pumps right into the magma tower; when released, this will cause the magma to teleport to the nearest open space.

This would allow 4 things:
a) Greater magma release speed. It won't just ooze out the trunk, it will spray.
b) Larger magma storage. The reservoir wouldn't have to be in the head, which would free the head up for other uses.
c) Faster supply of magma. Because you wouldn't have to go through the legs, you could have several pumpstacks feeding the reservoir.
d) Trunk positioning. You could have the trunk curve up or anything else, as you don't have to build in a pumpstacks in it.

I hope this all makes sense. Good luck, whether or not you use this.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:20 am »

Doesn't look too difficult and it makes the magma release less passive as well. But some of the fluid engineering in the game can get complicated.  It shouldn't be a big problem with the elephant since I'm planning on keeping the magma chambers isolated from the rest of the fort, but things like to go wrong in the worst ways in this game sometimes.  There will still be a pumpstack going up through one of the front legs though, since the legs are the only parts directly touching the ground.

I've got the basic floorplans for the first 6 floors done.  I'm going to build the outer shell first, and then work on the interior once I can seal up said interior completely from the outside.  Right now, the first 6 floors are just the legs, and even making them completely hollow, it's going to take almost 440 bars of soap.  I think the complete elephant will probably need at least 5000 bars or so of soap, give or take a thousand or so.  The pumpstack I have planned will require around 370 Urists of power depending on how long I need to make all the connecting axles and how many gears are needed to link everything up.  So that will need 3 water reactors if I don't want to manually pump all that magma. 

I also set up the plumbing for a resevoir and well which was somewhat complicated, I hope it doesn't end up flooding the fort.  I'm going to set up some magma forges too, since there are other industries the fort will need to run.  Now I'm waiting on the spring migration wave to get the clothing industry set up and get a full blown soap rendering industry going.

Fortressdeath

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:45:43 am »

Also, when the next update comes through (which I believe Toady said will be savegame compatible) you can use minecarts to make the elephant shit goblins. Caged goblins, at least...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

Finally got the spring migrants, they waited until nearly the end of the season to come, and I needed the dorfpower bad.  Assigned dwarves to the the soapmaking industry, including the supply chain, that is woob burners and lye makers as well as a soaper.  We're getting the production of our building materials under way.  The migration wave was pretty big, 23 dwarves, and luckily it was mostly older couples who's already had their kid and so there were no useless child immigrants to bog down the fort.  Assigned a few dwarves to the construction industry, 2 more miners, and also to the other various industries the fort will need to be self-sufficient.  The magma forges are under construction and should soon start poumping out useful stuff.  We've got copper mined out from the main living areas so we're going to use that to make stuff like bins.  The miners are still digging out the living areas, workshops, and storerooms, when they're done with that, we're going to move onto the mineral veins on the map, especially the copper, iron, and zinc ores.

The elves arrived to trade.  Our broker went on break when it was time to trade, then had a drink, went back on break, ate, and went back on break again.  His ass was fired, and his replacement quickly headed to the trade depot.  The elves have pleased me with trade this year.  They brought 2 sacks each of sun berry and whip vine seeds.  Neither plant grows on my map, and now I'll be able to grow a nice supply of both.  They also brought some bushels of sun berries and valley herbs, which also pleased me.  Animals weren't that interesting, just a dingo, a giant dingo, an alligator snapping turtle, and a donkey.  Nothing that can be trained for war, but they should provide plenty of fat for the render.

Here's what we've built so far: just the first two segments of cinnabar road and some of the flooring that will be around the base of the elephant.  Not much that can get done when there's only 17 dwarves in the fort to do stuff.

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:33:07 am »

Although a giant elephant full of giant dingos would certainly be... Good.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 03:32:18 pm »

I wanted to say something funny and dwarfy here, but I was out of words... wait, no.

Spirits of Boatmurdered bless you.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

(It would look even cooler if it shot out of a raised trunk, but I don't want to get too involved with the engineering.)
i think if you're going to go to all the trouble, you may as well raise the trunk.
If you're gonna do it HUGE, ya might as well do it FUCKIN HUGE.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

necromancerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »

You had me at the magma-spewing trunk.

I second that,

Could you make an office in the brain so that when your negotiations with the local civs occur your broker can say "sure follow me to my office, it's in the elephants head",
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7