Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok (Now with pictures!)  (Read 57689 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I've seen people make forts.  I've seen them show off their amazing architecture and the finished project.  The problem is, they're finished and there's not much to do if you go poking at the savegame. 

So I made something different.  A reclaim designed to be played.

That alone isn't fun though.  Anyone can make a basic fort and share it. 

So I did something different.  I combined several things I'd learned from dwarf fortress mechanics and physics to create something special - The Spire of Armok.

A fort suspended in a carved-out square chasm that is 22z tall.  Within are bedrooms, barracks, workshops, a hospital, mechanical power, even automated running water and the startings of the same for magma.  There are deluxe rooms for Nobles and dwarves you think excel, as well as a golden throneroom should the king arrive.  There's also a layer of underground soil with farms, as well as an enclosed layer of surface trees should you want a safe supply of wood (the local goblins are quite regular visitors).

All good things, however, are not without their price.  The Spire is connected to a rather fun little project called...

The Doom Clock!!

On the Control Level, along with a basic map of the Spire (because why not?) and the levers to several drainage methods and bridge controls, is a counter.

Should this so-called Doom Counter hit ten, the fort will collapse into the chasm and the cavern beneath.  It roughly takes about a year-and-a-half for it to fill fully. 

I suppose you must be wondering.  "ThatAussieGuy, you evil, evil, man;  How can I avert this fort's destruction?"  The answer is simple.  Sacrifice one of the fort's dwarves. 

To reset The Doom Clock, simply send one of your dwarves (be it nobleman, craftsdwarf, or one of those damn fisherdwarves that keep turning up) out onto the Bridge of Death and watch them plummet.  The Doom Clock will return to 1 and the fort can continue on in peace.

For those cunningly thinking "Surely the clock could be stopped....", well, you'd be wrong.  For starters, I hid it.  You won't see it on the map, you won't find it by looking.  It is there, somewhere, and ticking away towards the fort's doom constantly without mercy.

(And for those thinking of just anchoring it the wall with floors or something, give me a little creative licensing here... >.>)

I will post pictures in due time, but for the first little while, I think just finding and exploring it yourself would be part of the fun.  The Spire lies at the site of Mebtobul, otherwise known as the City of Inchcanyon, in the reclaim screen.  Play it, break it, have fun with the place however you please.

Strike the Earth! (52MB)

Oh, and, uh... sorry about the mess. A few Trade Caravans had accidents and left their goods on the fort's doorstep.

edit:  Forgot to say, this was originally played with the graphics pack Ironhand 0.68, so adjust your raws accordingly.

And now, because I bloody-well forgot to do this sooner, pictures of The Spire of Armok! 

It starts on Level 3 because the only non-reclaim backup save I could find was just before the two upper-levels were finished.  They're left empty for storage.  These go level-by-level downwards, for reference.

Spoiler:  Level 14 - Workshops (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 17 - Gearworks (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:18:20 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:27:37 am »

Add 'I created a Clownsday device in DF and trolled B12ers' to your sig.

sad thing I'm so bad I won't even figure out who's what and where is anything

@down

If you say so, your Hellness.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:53:58 am by FritzPL »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:31:43 am »

Add 'I created a Clownsday device in DF and trolled B12ers' to your sig.

sad thing I'm so bad I won't even figure out who's what and where is anything

I added notes to everything important, don't worry.  (N) is your friend there.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:33:48 am »

Another deadly Aussie megaproject? Fuck yeah.  8)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:12 am »

...The Aztecs should worship this guy. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:34 am »

Oh Aussie,why must you keep nuking the fridge?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:39:34 am »

Oh Aussie,why must you keep nuking the fridge?

Why not?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:44:41 am »

Aussieguy...how would you feel about hosting a DF mad scientist/engineer contest?  I mean really, I wanna see other people create terrifying devices, too. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:49:08 am »

Where the credits for my suicide booth?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:34 am »

Where the credits for my suicide booth?

Oh yes, that was you that came up with the bridge/pressure plate design, isn't it?  Credit where due, then.  You made killing dwarves as a genuine ritual sacrifice possible

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:33 am »

I.. I feel like I made a difference designing a easy to use suicide booth so people in an ASCII game could murder specific dwarves.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Zinc23

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity Squared is Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:37 am »

Dear god Aussie.  This sounds even more demented and evil than all of your other projects( that I've heard of).
The fastest GM in the woooooooorld!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:23 am »

Dear god Aussie.  This sounds even more demented and evil than all of your other projects( that I've heard of).

You'll have to play it to find out :-P

I.. I feel like I made a difference designing a easy to use suicide booth so people in an ASCII game could murder specific dwarves.

Now you know how I feel every time I make one of these projects.  Generally minus the specific-murder part though.

edit:  I'd like to also add that I have a picture of what the fort looks like after it gets destroyed thanks to a bit of testing.  It takes MINUTES for the game to process the impact when the supports break.  I'll share it when I share other pics of this fort in a few days after people have had time to give it a go themselves.  Feel free to share your own pics if you give it a go before that though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:22:39 am by ThatAussieGuy »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:39 am »

You are a legend among men.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:34:25 am »

Lets play vault whateveritwas from new vegas. every year, they elect an overseer and kill him.
at the end of every year, kill your mayor to save them all
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8